The Allman Brothers Band

In today's WSJ:

"I began to look forward to the Allmans’ Beacon runs, and after each concert would tell friends about what I’d heard. When they would ask what had been the best song that night, I’d reply that that was like asking about the best frame around a picture in an art gallery. No matter how well crafted and feverishly sung by Messrs. Allman or Haynes, the songs served to introduce dazzling instrumental improvisations, with melodic solos building at breakneck speed that were supported by exemplary communication among Mr. Burbridge and the percussionists. Though I had savored Weather Report and the best Santana bands in concert, I would listen in amazement during the whirlwind at Allmans shows and think, “This kind of music cannot be played better than is being done right now.”

I share his view. Hardly a tribute band.

http://m.wsj.com/articles/when-its-time-for-leavin-i-hope-youll-understand-1415144111?mobile=y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

In today's WSJ:

"I began to look forward to the Allmans’ Beacon runs, and after each concert would tell friends about what I’d heard. When they would ask what had been the best song that night, I’d reply that that was like asking about the best frame around a picture in an art gallery. No matter how well crafted and feverishly sung by Messrs. Allman or Haynes, the songs served to introduce dazzling instrumental improvisations, with melodic solos building at breakneck speed that were supported by exemplary communication among Mr. Burbridge and the percussionists. Though I had savored Weather Report and the best Santana bands in concert, I would listen in amazement during the whirlwind at Allmans shows and think, “This kind of music cannot be played better than is being done right now.”

I share his view. Hardly a tribute band.

http://m.wsj.com/articles/when-its-time-for-leavin-i-hope-youll-understand-1415144111?mobile=y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a very coherent and rational perspective, therefore don't expect any reply from the doubters, other than "I just think they're a tribute band." 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think some of this show is on the Dreams boxset "You Don't Love Me"/"Soul Serenade" (Live):

Longer interview with Butch about the release: Butch Trucks Talks Epic 1971 Radio Concert 

As a part of a new distribution deal with Red Distribution, the Allman Brothers will issue a new archival release in the form of Live from A&R Studios: New York, August 26, 1971. The release, due out April 1, marks the only band-authorized version of the album and features the original ABB lineup.

“Oh, man, I’ll never forget that one,” Butch Trucks told Rolling Stone’s David Fricke. “We were set up in that studio just like we did on stage. But it was better. Rather than having their backs to me, the front line – Duane, Dickey and Berry – was facing us in kind of a semi-circle, which made it even easier to communicate. When I play, I stare at the left hand of whoever is playing lead. And I get to know what people are playing well enough that when they start going somewhere, once they arrive, I’m already there.”

Live From A&R Studios was recorded and broadcast live on WPLJ radio in 1971, just eight weeks before Duane Allman’s death. This album marks Allman’s final New York City performance.

I think I have listened to the show by way of Youtube a time or two. I can't find any sort of link to buy the new legit release. You would think old Butch would have got that straight. 

I just ordered the 3 cd/1 Blu-ray edition of the Idlewild South this morning, via Amazon.

Have been holding off, hoping for my library system to get it - but no dice yet, so I figured they never will.

I forgot how I came upon it -- I think i typed in the Allman Brothers and hit Prime button and it was the 1st one posted. 

Reading the Rolling Stone interview with Butch brought up the whole drug thing and Duane again -- for some reason, prior to reading the Skydog - I never figured him being into such things - don't know why I figured that - I knew about all the band's excesses after he died.

There is a bunch of talk about that time period in that One Way Out book

Although I find the sound of him playing slide one of the greatest sounds ever - I don't think I would have wanted to be around him. I guess he was what we would call an "alpha male" today.

Yeah - I read that book, too --- I read the Skydog book first, so i already knew what Duane was "like" --- still though, it always surprises me reading such stories about him. Which is weird - because I expect to read such things about musicians, but I guess just not about him.

You can mostly tell in some of those photos - he is super skinny and strung out. I think it never came out much due to the way he died. And I think also due to Gregg's long TMZ life that overshadowed Daune's short life.

I guess I always thought Duane's death caused the aftermath excesses, esp Oakley's --- but they all were all pretty f'd up before his death.

Duane, if he didn't die, probably would have joined in with the mess eventually - though Butch said he was good at quitting stuff if it got out of hand...who knows.

Just glad that the Allman Brothers continued on after he died.

Listened to the Brothers and Sisters box set last night.

The Fillmore and the Brothers both sound great - hoping the Idlewild does too.

I bought the blu-ray of the Fillmore and the HD files of the Brothers and Sisters set. I don't usually buy HD track files, but it was much cheaper do so - it does sound good.

Disc 3 and 4 is the September 26, 1973 show from Winterland -- I don't have much live stuff from this era, so it nice to listen to. 

• 4 months later...

Another one of those statements:

Oteil Burbridge on Allman Brothers Reunion: "I think the original guys have been talking"

Oteil Burbridge sat down with the San Diego Tribune (via Jambase) to discuss the band’s upcoming west coast run along with his future plans with Dead & Company as well as a potential reunion with the Allman Brothers.

“I’m always waiting for that call,” the bassist said. “Gregg texted us not long ago, saying: ‘Hey, maybe we should start thinking about getting something together in 2017.’” After noting that he relayed to Allman he would be available, Burbridge added, “I think the original guys have been talking. We’ll see what happens.”