The Allman Brothers Band

As of the other night they still had three original members.

Whch is the same amount of original members they had during the Toler Brothers era, and Dickey didn't seem to have a problem being in the band at that time.

If ever there was an Allmans tribute band, that was it.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

It's not about how many members really...just the key members.  When you lose the whole front line (Dickey, Duane and Berry) it's over...sorry.

Oh, I get it. We're going by your definition of what a tribute band is. Eat a dick. Eat a whole fucking bag of them. Sorry.

Eat a peach. Eat a whole fucking bag of them.

Oh, I get it. We're going by your definition of what a tribute band is. Eat a dick. Eat a whole fucking bag of them. Sorry.

Just my opinion...I am sure many would disagree....they have been selling tickets for years......$200+ per and have played hundreds if not thousands of show....I am happy for them.  I have seen a few since Dickey left and for me it was not great.  

They are really no different then any "heritage band" that plays only the classic songs....because nobody wants to hear any new songs. 

Thanks. Don't know why he is so mad. Not trying to piss off anyone. In fact allmans are one of my all time favs.

Just to be clear, John Wesley somehow thought that my "eat a peach" reply was supporting him. It wasn't. I was amazed at the vitriol and attempted to defuse it.

I'll take that as a concession that you don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for finally accepting your ingorant misguided statements.

I still stand by my original comment that they have been a tribute band since dickey left.

Ok kiddies if you can't get along ... Get out of the Pool

People come here to relax, update, get updated and make new friends ...

Getting back on point I have seen ABB with Dickey and after he was shown the door as the band cleaned up (Fact)*and he refused to.

*Road mngr for ABB lives 10 mins from me and those are his words exactly.

Like many here I was too young ( a kid ) when Duane and Berry died. I have no qualms about the ABB picking up and moving on.

It's a choice to buy a ticket to see three members of the original ABB Butch Jaimoe and Gregg.

I was happy to buy a tkt for many a show, in fact similar to Wilco I brought my kids recently.

The road hopefully does go on a bit more, but if not I have my memories..

I don't think I will ever understand the importance of any of this stuff...

Listened to the final show this past weekend, other than the Midnight Rider, which was a bit off sounding to me - all was played great. I was doing stuff around the house while listening, so I didn't listen too, too closely -- but it sounded great.

I think that was the first time I heard Jaimoe speak. Those speeches at the end were a nice touch.

Go back several months in this thread to where the person originally started calling the Allmans a tribute band. I made some pretty rational counterpoints, each of which were ignored, or the criteria for what a tribute band is magically changed. If you're gonna come in a thread about the Allman Brothers, full of Allman Brothers fans, and talk trash and not be willing to engage in an honest debate on the topic, then you're acting like a troll and deserve to be treated as such. You're discounting not only the opinions, but the experiences, of many people who have recently had amazing times at their shows and found their music to be relevant up until the end.

I didn't get much response to any of my posts until I started writing about bags of dicks. We get it, you think they're a tribute band. But you don't seem to have the ability to coherently explain why that is or refute any of my statements. Hence, bag of dicks. 

As for tribute bands, I'd consider Dickey & Great Southern to be much more fitting of that mold. Just playing old songs, uninspired jams, appearing on the state fair and oldies circuit. Although an orignial member of the Allmans, by shedding Dickey the band was able to move forward, create new and inspired music, and remain vital for their last 15 years. Admittedly, Greg's health dragged them down at times, but live the band was more often than not able to hit the peaks as high as any other lineup. What they did was unprecented, and we're lucky the music lived on. 

This guy gets it.

Hmmm. I'm starting to get it.  I just need to say "eat a bag of..." (finish the sentence) and I'm in the club!  Let's see...ok, eat a bag of Trucks!  Hell, eat a Ramblin bag o' trucks!

I don't get any of it.

Last week I got the Fillmore edition of Hittin the Note - nice interview with Bill Levenson about the recent reissue - he definitely put at great sound product. There was also an interview with Graham Nash about the 74 shows that was equally as good.

It was my first time reading the zine - has some nice stuff in it.