The Allman Brothers Band

Feeling like they're gonna bring Dickey back in the fold and Fare Thee Well this shit. Too bad, thought they went out on a high note. But after seeing the Dead cash in, can't say no to that $. And Greg has expressed being open to playing with Dickey again. 

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

I seem to recall reading that he and Gregg had talked on the phone or said nice things about each other in interviews over the past few years. I guess that is true - there was some talk of him playing at one of the last shows.

From August 2015:

Dickey Betts has responded to a surprising reunion overture from erstwhile Allman Brothers Band partner Gregg Allman, a decade and a half after their acrimonious split.
“I have no problem with Gregg, never have,” Betts said in a statement to Sarasota, Fla.’s Herald-Tribune. “Sure, it would be fun to play with him again. We’ll see where it goes.”
To be clear, Allman’s overture doesn’t specify a public performance, this could be simply a private jam session. Besides, in order for any long-awaited onstage reunion to happen, Betts will have to end an apparent retirement from music. He hasn’t played a show since last November. “As far as Dickey’s concerned, he’s retired until he’s unretired,” Betts’ longtime manager David Spero recently said. “And I don’t know when or if that time will come.”
Betts, an original member of the now-defunct Allman Brothers Band, wrote a number of the group’s best-known songs between 1969-2000, including “Ramblin’ Man,” “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” and “Southbound,” the latter of which has been showing up in Allman’s solo set lists lately.
Asked about performing “Southbound,” and making special mention of Betts as the author, Allman recently told a reporter, “I haven’t seen him in a very long time and would be very open to it. In fact, I would love to play with him again.” Spero said Betts was pleased to learn that Allman had revived “Southbound.” “I could feel him smile when I talked to him last night,” Spero said.
Allman was quick to note that he’s pleased with the lineup of his current solo band, but that he’s ready to put aside his past differences with Betts.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dickey-betts-gregg-allman-reunion/?trackback=tsmclip

This interview with Butch seems to indicate he is the main holdout: http://www.jambands.com/features/2016/07/21/butch-trucks-the-freight-train-s-freight-train/

Butch seems to be a real pain in the ass. They guy has always been full of shit in interviews, really full of himself. Actually between him, Gregg, and Dickey, not sure who the biggest nutjob is. I'm sure if the $ is right they'd all be there though.

Butch seems to be a real pain in the ass. They guy has always been full of shit in interviews, really full of himself. Actually between him, Gregg, and Dickey, not sure who the biggest nutjob is. I'm sure if the $ is right they'd all be there though.

I used to love reading Butch's blog, but people who commented on it ended up pissing him off so badly that he shut it down.

I used to love reading Butch's blog, but people who commented on it ended up pissing him off so badly that he shut it down.

I appreciate Butch's openness in speaking his mind in interviews and elsewhere, unfortunately it often reveals how ignorant and full of himself he is. I don't think I've ever seen an interview with him where he doesn't mention living in France and reading Rosseau. Very little knowledge of music outside the Allmans, whom he of course considers the greatest band ever. Same stories about Duane over and over.

Has Jaimoe ever said anything?  

He does seem full of himself. I think that trouble with him and Dickey started because he wanted to run the business so to speak. But really it was his crap playing that got him removed from the band. Nothing we haven't already talked about or read about.

I appreciate Butch's openness in speaking his mind in interviews and elsewhere, unfortunately it often reveals how ignorant and full of himself he is. I don't think I've ever seen an interview with him where he doesn't mention living in France and reading Rosseau. Very little knowledge of music outside the Allmans, whom he of course considers the greatest band ever. Same stories about Duane over and over.

Has Jaimoe ever said anything?  

You must have had a premonition:

Butch Trucks: The Freight Train's Freight Train

Three links discussing Gregg and Dickey's interest in playing together again. Seems Butch is the main obstacle. Unless Jaimoe has some unspoken grudge. Not interested, but what the hell.

http://www.jambase.com/article/gregg-allman-wants-to-play-with-dickey-betts-again

http://www.jambase.com/article/gregg-allman-discusses-potential-allman-brothers-reunion

http://www.jambase.com/article/dickey-betts-says-hes-willing-to-play-with-gregg-allman-again

• 5 months later...

Yeah - I read it on the Hoffman board earlier this morning and was waiting to get confirmation. Hopefully it's not true.

Doing a quick search this morning to find out anything on his death, I came across the below interview. Didn't realize he had a place in France.

http://www.cltampa.com/music/interviews/article/20847834/qa-butch-trucks-talks-trump-gaga-and-paris-before-nye-show-in-clearwater

Usually the only good thing that comes out of musician' deaths is the usual flood of torrents that follow --- of course we won't be getting those.

Definitely will be playing some Allmans tonight.

Last week I listened to Idlewild South reissue, again.

(read through some of this thread today - man some people got cranky -- lot's of 'bags of' stuff...)