The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Usually the only good thing that comes out of musician' deaths is the usual flood of torrents that follow --- of course we won't be getting those.

Definitely will be playing some Allmans tonight.

Last week I listened to Idlewild South reissue, again.

(read through some of this thread today - man some people got cranky -- lot's of 'bags of' stuff...)

Does that have the Ludlow Garage show from 1970? I recall buying that in a record store when it first came out in 1990. I have not bought any of re-issues or Deluxe re-releases. I always wondered what that title meant - until the book came out and they talked about the name of their practice cabin. Which is funny - as Lynyrd Skynyrd also had a cabin like that. 

I know there are many fans besides me of ABB ...

Man I'm going to miss seeing him. I had the chance to meet him a couple of times.

An easy conversationalist, and funny too. I'm going to play Post tonight, and listen for those drums!

The band is slowly being reformed above.

Butch Trucks thanks for sharing the Joy!

Rest In Peace

Does that have the Ludlow Garage show from 1970? I recall buying that in a record store when it first came out in 1990. I have not bought any of re-issues or Deluxe re-releases. I always wondered what that title meant - until the book came out and they talked about the name of their practice cabin. Which is funny - as Lynyrd Skynyrd also had a cabin like that. 

Yes, the reissue has the Ludlow set and Idlewild in 5.1.

All the reissues sound great. (Fillmore East / Brothers and Sisters / Idlewild)

I do have the Stonybrook show - definitely will be listening to tonight. 

When suites mentioned the Blue Sky, I remembered the show. Haven't listened to it in awhile.

Hmmm. I'm starting to get it.  I just need to say "eat a bag of..." (finish the sentence) and I'm in the club!  Let's see...ok, eat a bag of Trucks!  Hell, eat a Ramblin bag o' trucks!

:lol

i randomly clicked on this thread and learned something. jw harding is composed of a dumpster full of bags of dicks.

That Mountain Jam is over 40 minutes - if I recall.

I have not listened to that in a long time.

45:13 minutes on the reissue.

My friend had the original release, so I never gotten around to buy it, since we always listened to it when we were at his place.

I wonder if it sounds better now. It was pretty muddy as I recall. I would think they were probably able to get a better analog to digital transfer all these years later. If they went back to the tape.

:lol

i randomly clicked on this thread and learned something. jw harding is composed of a dumpster full of bags of dicks.

You just made the list.

I'll miss Butch on those big old kettle drums at the end of Allmans sets. That was always a highlight. Remember him talking about the chronic pain he dealt with, and hope he is free from that pain and any other demons now. The road goes on forever...

Oakley is really in the high in the mix on the Stonybrook - sounds great. 

The Ludlow show on the reissue does sound better than the original - but is still doesn't sound that great.

I have always enjoyed Ludlow.

It seems like the Allmans were always complaining about monitors, like the Dead.

I got that one about the same time. If I recall correctly it even pre-dates the very first "One From The Vault" (Pre-Dick's) release (8/13/75) by a few months.

Got out to hear a GD cover band last night. Out of a jam they went into 10 minutes of Whipping Post. The place went nuts, it seemed everyone was looking for some live ABB.

Turned out a couple of the guys onstage had sat in with Butch on a recent Les Bres Boston stop.

Tragic. What a truly horrible experience for his wife. To choose to end your life, especially violently, is sad, but choosing to do it in front of someone that loved you is... well, I don't know what it is. Fucking hell.

So sad. He must have been in unthinkable turmoil to have done that with his wife in the condo.  I hope somewhere deep in his heart he knew how much joy he gave to music fans around the world. 

He said on his blog several years ago that he didn't have a lot of money, so that aspect of the story is not surprising to me, and even less surprising since the ABB stopped touring.

I wish he had known there was a different way.

I have often wondered how a drummer in a band had a place in the South of France. Maybe he overspent. I recall he had some trouble with the Moogis thing he came up with several years ago. Maybe he lost a lot on that. 

I have often wondered how a drummer in a band had a place in the South of France. Maybe he overspent. I recall he had some trouble with the Moogis thing he came up with several years ago. Maybe he lost a lot on that. 

He probably spent a whole tour's worth of earnings on that.  As far as I know, he isn't credited as a writer on any of their songs, so his income was primarily from live performances.

I would think so. Too bad more bands could not follow the R.E.M. and U2 way of doing things. Of course, it is not like The Allman Brothers had any hits exactly. At least probably not since the 1970s. I recall a few years back one of their songs was in a commercial for feminine hygiene products or adult diapers. I can't recall which. I remember thinking - I hope they all got a check from that. 

I love lobster.

What a crummy thing for Trucks to do in front of his wife. 

Reminds me of Vince Welnick doing similar (knife to throat) in his wife's presence (though Welnick had battled depression for quite awhile).