Jon Stewart destroys Mad Money's Jim Cramer

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never watched Cramer's show but I expected him to put up more of a fight or at least a defense.

I think Cramer's best strategy is to forget last night ever happened. His hardcore fans will ignore it as Stewart's bias and he'll still have an audience. The rest of us know who he is now.

Do people actually base their stock market investments on information they get from this program?

Do people actually base their stock market investments on information they get from this program?

I know at least one person who does. She's quite affluent and lives in Omaha, NE. If I was in her position, I'd listen to my neighbor, Warren, and not this nutjob.

I have never watched Cramer's show but I expected him to put up more of a fight or at least a defense.

i guess he thought his sad mea culpa would put this behind him, which appears to be in the Cramer playbook for success.

madmoney.jpg

i do not see how even his supporters (do they still exist?) could explain away last night's performance.

I would add Dr. Phil to that list.

What a jagoff that guy is. It amazes me that certain people regard him as some kind of guru.

Oh, there are tons of "pop" advice people out there. Phil is defiantely a high profile one, and my inlaws love him.

Boy did that feel good to watch. He dropped a few appropriate F-bombs. Wow, that was some damning video he had of Jim Cramer.

Good old Neon makes a great point. Why can't we see an interview like that on Meet the Press instead of the hour of ass kissing you get now.

It runs so much deeper than that even. This is what now passes as professional journalism at its finest. Moreover his is not just an indictment of CNBC, it's an indictment of "60 Minutes" and its "investigative" progeny -- tired vaudevilles, lifted and botoxed.

ALL of the "Mainstream" media is Jim Cramer. ALL of it.

So, I see they used some of that vid in the Stewart interview. They used one of the parts where he expressly recommended what I gather to be illegal manipulation of the market. They used the part where he said he wouldn't say this stuff on tv (to which he lamely replied that he was on tv during the current interview).

They did not use the part where he recommended getting bullshit rumors into the press--including CNBC! They did not use the part where he kinda sorta endorsed price fixing.

They also left out the part where he said the fundamentals (that is to say, the bottom lines of the companies) don't matter--the market matters. Err, I missed some of the stuff they did use or they did use more in the uncut version of the interview.

It runs so much deeper than that even. This is what now passes as professional journalism at its finest. Moreover his is not just an indictment of CNBC, it's an indictment of "60 Minutes" and its "investigative" progeny -- tired vaudevilles, lifted and botoxed.

ALL of the "Mainstream" media is Jim Cramer. ALL of it.

I'm afraid such a strong generalization makes you sound a bit like the people who go here.

cramer has made a lot of $ in the market over the years, but i'm glad to see him (and more so 'entertainment journalism') called on the carpet.

that said, i'll also throw some accountability towards anybody who based their financial gameplan solely on his advice or other like douchebags versus a multi-faceted, more educated approach to their investments/finances.

that said, i'll also throw some accountability towards anybody who based their financial gameplan solely on his advice or other like douchebags versus a multi-faceted, more educated approach to their investments/finances.

Stewart's point is that CNBC marketed Cramer (and others) in such a way that misled people into thinking that they were receiving a multi-faceted, educated approach to investing. Now, we can argue over whether those people were morons, or naive, or reasonable, but to me, that's the coup de grace. Cramer is nothing more than Dr Phil or Rush Limbaugh (an entertainer). And CNBC held him out as something else. And to take it a step further, combine Cramer with everyone else on that channel. All of CNBC is a facade. And it's a facade that helped to convince lots of people to put 401k money into the market because the stock market goes up 10%/yr. Why? Don't ask questions. It does.

It doesn't.

Stewart's point is that CNBC marketed Cramer (and others) in such a way that misled people into thinking that they were receiving a multi-faceted, educated approach to investing. Now, we can argue over whether those people were morons, or naive, or reasonable, but to me, that's the coup de grace. Cramer is nothing more than Dr Phil or Rush Limbaugh (an entertainer). And CNBC held him out as something else. And to take it a step further, combine Cramer with everyone else on that channel. All of CNBC is a facade. And it's a facade that helped to convince lots of people to put 401k money into the market because the stock market goes up 10%/yr. Why? Don't ask questions. It does.

It doesn't.

i don't disagree w/ you or Jon an iota and i'll assign lion's share of the problem to cramer/CNBC/analysts/whomever...but, like the countless discussions on the mortgage problem, people need to learn to not take things at face value. especially when it comes to large amounts of their own $. all i'm saying.