Really disturbing Police, citizen confrontation

DallasPolice Chief Apologizes for Conduct of Officer Who drew gun on NFL player outside hospital

By STEVE THOMPSON and TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle stood in front of a dozen news cameras this afternoon at police headquarters to apologize for the behavior of an officer who stopped a family outside a hospital emergency room.

Kunkle said Officer Robert Powell has been placed on paid administrative leave in connection with an incident last week in which he stopped a family rushing to visit a dying mother, detaining them for 13 minutes to write a traffic ticket.

The old "my mother in law is dying" bit. Nice.

The guy's mother-in-law was really dying and he wanted to get his wife and himself to the hospital to say their last goodbyes. All the workers at the hospital confirmed that was what was going on. The cop is a jackass on a power trip and might not have a soul.

Jules caught a live one :fish

EDIT: sorry, didn't mean to double up on you. Must have posted at the same time as cryptique, but I won't delete cause I need to pad my post count :monkey

Not knowing Dallas procedures on this sort of thing I'd hate to pass judgement on the cop. I supose he hears all kinds of excuses when he pulls people over. But, as an arm chair legal analyst it looked like hhe should have been able to put two plus two together. Hospital parking lot, distraught family, maybe he could have seen that their story appeared palusible and shown some mercy? Not a good situation for him though.

Is it just me or did the video look like Moats stoped in a handicapped space too? I wonder if the cop noticed or said anything? Or if I was just seeing it from a bad angle.

Not knowing Dallas procedures on this sort of thing I'd hate to pass judgement on the cop. I supose he hears all kinds of excuses when he pulls people over. But, as an arm chair legal analyst it looked like hhe should have been able to put two plus two together. Hospital parking lot, distraught family, maybe he could have seen that their story appeared palusible and shown some mercy? Not a good situation for him though.

Is it just me or did the video look like Moats stoped in a handicapped space too? I wonder if the cop noticed or said anything? Or if I was just seeing it from a bad angle.

The cop mentioned the possibility of having his car towed because it was illegally parked.

Exactly what I am thinking...

With pay. That is probably standard procedure, but I don't think there's a lot of fine hairs to slice here -- even among the comments in the story. this one says he's placed on leave pending an internal investigation. As long as he's being paid, reassign him to swabbing out the holding pens.

As far as judgment, a quick tag check would have determined if it was the same guy. Let them go, you've got the car, if you want to be by the book, you can track down the driver to make him pay up, just as they do for unpaid parking tickets.