I just want to point out that I am proud of my home state today.

Me Too!

How so? All the ruling asserted was that there was no constitutional reason in Iowa to deny same-sex couples marriage. Unless there is a US constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage the Supreme Court has no reason to overturn the ruling as far as I can tell.

I realize some people may be morally/religiously opposed to same-sex marriage, but read the court's justification on their ruling...it makes a very good, very constitutionally grounded case for why this ruling is correct.

This ruling cannot be appealed because it is based on the Iowa Constitution not the US Constitution and the US Supreme court can not touch it. The only way for this to be overturned is a amendment to the Iowa Constitution which cannot happen until 2012. So for the next 3 years, at least everyone can get married in Iowa.

John Kinsella: Is this heaven?

Ray Kinsella: It's Iowa.

John Kinsella: Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.

They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say.
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I'll be banned for my comments, because it seems these days the morals/values/beliefs of a good old fashioned hetero are somehow less than those with a "progressive" lifestyle.

Your "pride" lies with the democratic leadership, a spine-less governor that talks out of both sides of his mouth (but was extremely willing to line his campaign pockets with the gay lobbey's money), and some hack supreme court justices that believe that they can make law from the bench. The "State" of Iowa still believes that marriage is one man and one woman.

Have a nice life.

I suppose I'll be banned for my comments, because it seems these days the morals/values/beliefs of a good old fashioned hetero are somehow less than those with a "progressive" lifestyle.

Your "pride" lies with the democratic leadership, a spine-less governor that talks out of both sides of his mouth (but was extremely willing to line his campaign pockets with the gay lobbey's money), and some hack supreme court justices that believe that they can make law from the bench. The "State" of Iowa still believes that marriage is one man and one woman.

Have a nice life.

You are entitled to your opinon but I am tired of people forcing their views of the bible on everyone. Is your view on gay marriage a personal belief or one that stems from your religious view? My thoughts are that everyone should be entitled to equal rights. How does gay marriage affect you on a day to day basis? If you want to be married and have 2.4 kids go ahead that the American Way but let everyone else be entitled to freedom and rights (Also the American Way)! I define Marriage as a life long commitment to a partner filled with love weather it is the same sex or the other sex.

Have a nice life.

The mods here are way too cool to ban you, but since I can sort of be an asshole, I won

Have a nice life.

Speaking as a "good old fashioned hetero," this ruling aligns perfectly with my "morals/values/beliefs."

It's always interesting how "hack" justices are "mak[ing] law from the bench" when their rulings go against conservative ideology, but they're praised for sober and responsible jurisprudence when their rulings go the other way. A "strict constructionist" like Scalia should be able to see the hypocrisy in that, though personally I doubt he would.

The "legislating from the bench" argument cuts both ways, and you should be careful how you use it.

In the meantime, please explain how gay marriage causes you any harm whatsoever.

I think that gay people deserve the right to be as happy AND miserable as they can.

Let them experience the joys of marriage and the agony of losing half their stuff and the emotinal distress in a divorce.

It isn't all sunshine and light.

That reminds me of Bill Maher - something like "if gay people want to get together and never have sex again they should be able to."

I was being a bit serious. In Texas, (Dallas) there is a gay couple seeking a dissolution of their Massachusetts sanctioned marriage. The problem for them is Texas doesn't recognize gay marriage. The larger problem is another marriage ending in failure.

Marriage is hard to make work. I'm sure we will see the same percentage of gay marriages end in divorce as conventional marriages.

Have a nice life.

You are certainly entitled to your 1st amendment right to free speech and I do not think anyone on this board is going to ostracize you for any given opinion (unless it involves Jay Bennet), but your stance on this issue is wholly un-defensible from a logical point of view.

I have never understood the

The following reader reply was posted on Andrew Sullivan's blog
Is that a sex thing?

A Doors reference, I think. Love me two Times?

Either that or "I take a number 2 (or number 1, being that it is also less than three) on Andrew Sullivan".

Or maybe it's this:

Guest Jules
You are entitled to your opinon but I am tired of people forcing their views of the bible on everyone. Is your view on gay marriage a personal belief or one that stems from your religious view? My thoughts are that everyone should be entitled to equal rights. How does gay marriage affect you on a day to day basis? If you want to be married and have 2.4 kids go ahead that the American Way but let everyone else be entitled to freedom and rights (Also the American Way)! I define Marriage as a life long commitment to a partner filled with love weather it is the same sex or the other sex.

I would imagine he believes marriage is a religious sacrament, in which only a man and a woman can partake. A belief he is entitled to, and I'm confused why he would think he would get banned for that.

Marriage is most certainly a religious sacrament to many... but it is also a social contract recognized by the state, granting legal rights otherwise difficult (or impossible) to obtain. Confusing the two is reason why people struggle with this issue so much. In an ideal world, state-recognized partnerships would be called X and religious partnerships would be called Y, and the two would never be confused.

(This post was brought to you courtesy of Captain Obvious.)