• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work , Iowa supreme court

my father has been with his partner well over 10 years, and i would like nothing more for them to be legally joined

Good job Iowa State Supreme Court.

As for Iowans in general, let's just wait to see how the inevitable vote for a constitutional amendment against gay marriage goes before we pat them on their collective back too much...

5 years ago, i'd have said the ammendemtn would pass in a heartbeat, but i'm with the catfish on this one.

Iowa tends to be a bit more progressive than people ever give us credit for. I would guess that the amendment would hinge on Obama's performance and position in the polls in 2012 (the first time an amendment can be on the ballot). If liberals think he's got it locked up, they might not come out in droves. And something like a Mike Huckabee and gay marriage ban double whammy might drive a big social/religious conservative turnout.

I am pretty sure that I have seen a poll from earlier, when this case was being deliberated, that showed about a 55/45 popular support for gay marriage. That number will only go up.

Yeah, but who would have thought us crazy left-coast liberals in CA would ever vote the way we did on Prop 8?

One thing that election taught us is to never underestimate the organization skills of religious groups when they're fighting for a "cause" - and don't underestimate the general apathy level of the typical moderate/liberal who might support gay marriage, but won't be bothered to vote for it. Hopefully the rest of the country learned that lesson along with us.

Yay Iowa! I'm going to stop and stay the night there on my way to Minnesota in May instead of driving right through!

People do seem to think Iowa is more like Kansas than it really is.

Good to see Iowa is catching up to us folks in Ontario :).

Good job Iowa State Supreme Court.

As for Iowans in general, let's just wait to see how the inevitable vote for a constitutional amendment against gay marriage goes before we pat them on their collective back too much...

You need a pretty big majority of people to go for a constitutional amendment. I won't say that it couldn't happen, but I think Iowans won't approve a constitutional ban.

I think these "amendment" ballot inititives are more about getting voters out than they actually are about the issue its self.

Despite the outcome, rulings like this one always make me apprehensive.

How so? Ultimately this will be overturned by the supreme court...unless the make up of the court changes drastically over the next couple years, and I don't see that happening.

How so? Ultimately this will be overturned by the supreme court...unless the make up of the court changes drastically over the next couple years, and I don't see that happening.

How so? All the ruling asserted was that there was no constitutional reason in Iowa to deny same-sex couples marriage. Unless there is a US constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage the Supreme Court has no reason to overturn the ruling as far as I can tell.

I realize some people may be morally/religiously opposed to same-sex marriage, but read the court's justification on their ruling...it makes a very good, very constitutionally grounded case for why this ruling is correct.

Yeah, but who would have thought us crazy left-coast liberals in CA would ever vote the way we did on Prop 8?

I am so embarrassed by my fellow Californians. Hopefully the court will realize the stupidity and overturn this soon.

I don't understand how any can be against gay marriage.

It is anti-religious (discrimination; "render unto Ceaser").

It violates conservative politics (against "big government"; "get-out-of-bedroom" platform)

It violates liberal politics (equal rights).

I guess the only people left are prejudice. No argument against hatred, I suppose.

It is only a matter of time before all of US goes for this. Those who oppose this will seem as silly as those who opposed de-segregation and women's suffrage.

I am so embarrassed by my fellow Californians. Hopefully the court will realize the stupidity and overturn this soon.

I don't understand how any can be against gay marriage.

It is anti-religious (discrimination; "render unto Ceaser").

It violates conservative politics (against "big government"; "get-out-of-bedroom" platform)

It violates liberal politics (equal rights).

I guess the only people left are prejudice. No argument against hatred, I suppose.

It is only a matter of time before all of US goes for this. Those who oppose this will seem as silly as those who opposed de-segregation and women's suffrage.

I agree with you 100%.

Finally, some good news. I hope other states follow the example. :thumbup

I'd also give 100 bills just to be able to sit down with Steve King and see the look on that rat bastard's face right now!