If either of my kids is gay (they're too young now to know, but if someday), I want to be the first to know (after themselves, of course!)

Don't count on it. No matter how accepting you are, I suspect most kids wouldn't tell their parents until a close circle of friends (including some lucky boy or girl) know. I admit I would struggle accepting, but certainly would.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't count on it. No matter how accepting you are, I suspect most kids wouldn't tell their parents until a close circle of friends (including some lucky boy or girl) know. I admit I would struggle accepting, but certainly would.

Yes, I probably am just wishful thinking that I will always play such an important role in my kids' lives! :-)

And I have to wonder how far my (or anyone else's) level of acceptance and tolerance reaches. What if a person's kid wanted to be part of a polygamist marriage? Or a cult? Are we each accepting only of what fits our own beliefs, and what if family members shake up those beliefs? To what degree are we tolerant and accepting? I certainly don't want those to be tested, but it gets a person thinking.

You are tolerant until you think your loved one's well being is at risk.  Being in a polygamist relationship or a cult are not worthy of tolerance because they put that well being at severe risk.

If I had a gay child, I would worry about chastisement and (frankly) the social awkwardness that may come with it.  So I would struggle but would (hopefully, probably) get over it.

I don't think polygamy is analogous to a committed relationship between two people, whether those two are gay or straight. Polygamy involves one man having multiple wives, and I find that jarring and ugly because I see it as very sexist and controlling...whether the women claim to be happy or not. I suppose theoretically polygamy could involve a "marriage" between one woman and multiple men, but I've never heard of such an arrangement. I don't think the men would tolerate that scenario because I believe they would feel diminished and subjugated. Why should women tolerate the same? Because male church elders tell them to?

Anyway that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I support marriage between committed pairs of people, regardless of their sexual orientation. Once you add in extra people, it gets very bizarre and dominating.

I don't think polygamy is analogous to a committed relationship between two people, whether those two are gay or straight. Polygamy involves one man having multiple wives, and I find that jarring and ugly because I see it as very sexist and controlling...whether the women claim to be happy or not. I suppose theoretically polygamy could involve a "marriage" between one woman and multiple men, but I've never heard of such an arrangement. I don't think the men would tolerate that scenario because I believe they would feel diminished and subjugated. Why should women tolerate the same? Because male church elders tell them to?

Anyway that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I support marriage between committed pairs of people, regardless of their sexual orientation. Once you add in extra people, it gets very bizarre and dominating.

Polygamists are nice people...haven't you seen SISTER WIVES?  Haven't you seen BIG LOVE? But it's a choice...therefore they haven't the right?

Just bomb throwing here, but if society is supposed to non-judgemental and Moralblind (to coin a phrase), then any arguements or concerns about what people do in their private lives are going to be out of bounds.

Polygamists are nice people...haven't you seen SISTER WIVES?  Haven't you seen BIG LOVE? But it's a choice...therefore they haven't the right?

Just bomb throwing here, but if society is supposed to non-judgemental and Moralblind (to coin a phrase), then any arguements or concerns about what people do in their private lives are going to be out of bounds.

Are marriage equality supporters asking for society to be morally blind and non-judgmental without exception?  One does not lead automatically to the other.

What does one thing have to do with the other?

The polygamy argument is easy to refute

The core issue here isn't about denying people the ability to love each other...that is the emotional hook that sells the story.

I am so far past the desire to make moral judgements on sexual issues that I don't even acknowlege either sides arguements on the moral grounds. 

The more important issue deals with the legal bindings that accompany marriage: benefits, insurance, inheritance. These issues are infinitely more important than the ability to call someone your husband or wife. THAT'S why I support gay marriage. I have heard enough horror stories about these legal issues once a partner dies than I care to count.

That is also why I think that plural marriage may be the next battlefield.

Shouldn't it be whatever the church wants to do and who they want to marry?

Religion/church shouldn't enter the equation. No one is demanding the right to be married in a church. They just want the same basic rights as everyone else: that their marriage be recognized as legal and valid.

People need to remember that religion does not own marriage. Or morality.

As I stated in a previous post, every single anti-gay marriage excuse i've heard is based on religion. The people using this defense are ignorant bigots, pure and simple.

Anyone I know personally who's against this claims it's not the Supreme Court's business, that it should be a state concern. And they usually back it up with the usual, obvious "another example of overreaching government" argument.

I can understand the libertarian sort of "leave it up to the states" argument in many instances. However, in this case, the issue is really related to federal benefits, such as the SSI death benefit, so that argument feels weak to me.

Religion is also a moot point, as it may or not be part of a marriage. Many civil weddings involve no religion at all (hello, Elvis impersonator!).

My nephew just got engaged to his long term boyfriend this weekend.  Now let's hope Illinois passes marriage equality soon. 

DOMA may not be an abomination, but it is an idea which time has passed by.

LouieB