NHL Offseason 2009

I hate the Wings simply because they win...unfair? Yes, but can you blame me?

Sure, why not... Success breeds contempt, or so it goes...

OK, let's say the Wings win the Cup this year. That gives Osgood 4 Cups - 3 of which he was the starting goalie. Hall of Famer? Hold on...

Currently he's 10th on the career win list. He's never had a losing season, and that includes two years with two bad Islanders and Blues teams each.

If he puts together 2 more 30 win seasons, he'll end up 5th on the win list, and 95 more wins (achievable in 3 years...) would leave him only behind Roy and Brodeur. He certainly hasn't had to win games on his own, and it certainly helps that for most of his career he's had Lidstrom and the rest of the Wings in front of him, but his numbers are hard to deny. Yet, I don't think he'll be a hall of famer, even if he wins an additional Cup or two down the line.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he puts together 2 more 30 win seasons, he'll end up 5th on the win list, and 95 more wins (achievable in 3 years...) would leave him only behind Roy and Brodeur.

He turns 37 this year and just had an absolutely atrocious regular season... Don't know if I see him playing that much more hockey.

He turns 37 this year and just had an absolutely atrocious regular season... Don't know if I see him playing that much more hockey.

He went 26-9-8! If only all goalies were that atrocious...

Anyway - he'll be their primary starter at least 2 more seasons. Maybe asking for 30 wins in each of those is asking too much.

Guest Jules
Sure, why not... Success breeds contempt, or so it goes...

OK, let's say the Wings win the Cup this year. That gives Osgood 4 Cups - 3 of which he was the starting goalie. Hall of Famer? Hold on...

Currently he's 10th on the career win list. He's never had a losing season, and that includes two years with two bad Islanders and Blues teams each.

If he puts together 2 more 30 win seasons, he'll end up 5th on the win list, and 95 more wins (achievable in 3 years...) would leave him only behind Roy and Brodeur. He certainly hasn't had to win games on his own, and it certainly helps that for most of his career he's had Lidstrom and the rest of the Wings in front of him, but his numbers are hard to deny. Yet, I don't think he'll be a hall of famer, even if he wins an additional Cup or two down the line.

Isn't the NHL HOF the easiest to get into?

He went 26-9-8!

... playing behind by far the highest-scoring team in the NHL, and possibly the most talented roster the league has seen since the cap came into place!

Seriously, his save percentage was .887, a career-worst and dead last in the NHL among goalies who played 40+ games. He had a terrible, terrible season.

Rangers, Rangers, woo woo woo!

Isn't the NHL HOF the easiest to get into?

no idea. All I know is that the max to get in every year is 4 (for players - there's other categories for refs and builders).

As for Osgood, yes, he had a sloppy year, but his career save % is .906 or so...

C'mon, if Grant Fuhr and Billy Smith can get in (and certainly, they should have the same reputation as Osgood - they benefitted by having a great team in front of them), there's room for Osgood. But, I'm betting against it.

Norris trophy finalists to be announced today.

My picks for the finalists in order:

Green (winner)

Chara

Lidstrom

Man do the Caps have an unbalanced roster or what? Ovechkin had over 28 minutes of ice time last night! If the Red Wings rode Datsyuk as hard as the Caps ride Ovechkin, he'd have won the Art Ross trophy by now.

Who gets into the NHL HOF and who doesn't never really makes sense. They have some players from the O6 era who did not have anywhere near impressive stats, that get in, but a player like Pavel Bure, possibly the greatest pure scorer of the past few decades, is denied!

The Osgood question is a good one indeed, in fact one of the guys I work with asked me that Tuesday night. The Wings defense is good, but is it so good that an average goal tender could win the cup twice? He is the winningest goalie in Wings history.

Anyways, congrats to the Bruins.

I'm not surprised about the Caps. They have a few really good players and then the rest of the team is just mediocre. Kind of like the Ottawa Senators.

EDIT: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=276141 This kind of ticks me off. What about Winnipeg? Seattle? Portland? Kansas City? Ontario has two NHL teams, its own juniour league, and AHL teams. I guess it's just business though... I just think there's so many markets that deserve teams. Plus, Leaf fans are so loyal... I mean, when you have 40+ years of not even making the finals, 5 years of not making the playoffs and they still sell out every game... I just can't see anyone accepting a new team in that area. The NHL has been in BC for 39 years now and there's still Leaf fans here.

Who gets into the NHL HOF and who doesn't never really makes sense. They have some players from the O6 era who did not have anywhere near impressive stats, that get in, but a player like Pavel Bure, possibly the greatest pure scorer of the past few decades, is denied!

Bure hasn't ever been technically denied, actually -- I don't think he's even eligible for this upcoming class, since he didn't announce his retirement until after the '05-06 season began. He's a very interesting case, though. I think the NHL set (or reinforced) a very blurry precedent a few years back when they inducted Cam Neely; since then, I don't see how anyone can really argue guys like Bure and Eric Lindros getting in as well.

As for the HHOF relative to other sports, it does seem the most "generous" in terms of letting guys in.

Bure hasn't ever been technically denied, actually -- I don't think he's even eligible for this upcoming class, since he didn't announce his retirement until after the '05-06 season began. He's a very interesting case, though. I think the NHL set (or reinforced) a very blurry precedent a few years back when they inducted Cam Neely; since then, I don't see how anyone can really argue guys like Bure and Eric Lindros getting in as well.

As for the HHOF relative to other sports, it does seem the most "generous" in terms of letting guys in.

Did he not announce his retirement till 05-06?? All I know is that in recent years, every time the inductees are announced, everyone is upset here when Bure is denied. I'm sure he will eventually.

Hmm you're right, November 1st, 2005. Hmm.

Player and on-ice officials must have been retired for a minimum of three years to be eligible for nomination. Builders may be "active or inactive".

The waiting period was waived for ten players deemed exceptionally notable, most recently Wayne Gretzky who was inducted in 1999. Following Wayne Gretzky's retirement, the Board of Directors determined that the waiting period would no longer be waived for any player except under "certain humanitarian circumstances."

Three years? So that means he's been snubbed twice so far. I suppose due to his shortened career he will probably have to wait for a few years.

Either way, they've inducted a few players in the HHOF, who do not deserve to be there.

EDIT: This is a funny read http://elvishasleft.wordpress.com/2009/04/...me-4-in-philly/ NSFW!!

Did he not announce his retirement till 05-06?? All I know is that in recent years, every time the inductees are announced, everyone is upset here when Bure is denied. I'm sure he will eventually.

Hmm you're right, November 1st, 2005. Hmm.

Haha, actually I'm wrong... Turns out the "announcement" has nothing to do with it. He's been eligible since three years after he played his last game, which was 2003.

Anyway, I totally agree he should be in, though it's not happening this year (Yzerman, Leetch, Hull, Robitaille).

Yeah, and no one's gonna argue about any of the inductees this year. With the exception of Robitaille, perhaps...

And say what you will about Hull statistically, the guy will always be a traitor in my mind since his defection to the States.

And say what you will about Hull statistically, the guy will always be a traitor in my mind since his defection to the States.

Hey - Team Canada passed on him initially, and the Team USA had a spot for him. He's supposed to be loyal to the team that rejected him?

Many a great player has been passed over by their national team at some point or another in their careers. How many can you point at that then jumped across the border and said, 'Hey, pick me!'

Dirty rotten traitor.

He's also one of the most annoying hockey analysts I've ever been subjected to on television.

Many a great player has been passed over by their national team at some point or another in their careers. How many can you point at that then jumped across the border and said, 'Hey, pick me!'

Dirty rotten traitor.

He's also one of the most annoying hockey analysts I've ever been subjected to on television.

I don't know - how many can you point at that are dual citizens?

I don't have a problem with someone who has dual citizenship, who gets overturned by one country, going to another country.

In fact, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that at all.

Big night last night. I'm very happy to see the B's play in May.

It's been a very interesting playoff season so far. I can't wait to see who makes it to round 2.

Although I know one team that won't be making it...

539w.jpg

Big night last night. I'm very happy to see the B's play in May.

Congrats to the Bs. I would be very happy to see an O6 final: Wings and Bruins. Hopefully the Campbell Conference final will also be O6: Blackhawks and Wings. Maybe the Rangers can stick around long enough to make the Prince of Wales conference final O6 as well.