NHL Offseason 2009

Without Chara, Boston's D would be mediocre. He's a huge physical presence (seriously, 7 feet with skates on?!), and was the true stepping stone for the Bruins the last few seasons. As far as defense goes, he has to be the winner. Thomas and Fernandez just won the Jennings for least goals against...who do you think helped them out the most?

Chara.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to make a bold prediction here about my hometown BJs, but I have a feeling they might be suffering from we're-just-happy-to-be-here syndrome. My gut tells me to be prepared for Detroit to pull the brooms out, but it would be cool to see them take a couple games.

Without Chara, Boston's D would be mediocre. He's a huge physical presence (seriously, 7 feet with skates on?!), and was the true stepping stone for the Bruins the last few seasons. As far as defense goes, he has to be the winner. Thomas and Fernandez just won the Jennings for least goals against...who do you think helped them out the most?

Chara.

don't discount Wideman so much!

How effective is their defense when they're 21st out of 30 teams in shots against? Sounds like superior goaltending rather than team defense.

I don't mean to knock Chara - clearly he's one of the superior d-men in the league. I'm just saying I'll be surprised if he gets the Norris, because typically it goes to a high-scoring d-man, and this year, that man is Green.

I like the Bruins... and of course, Chara is one of my favorite players in the NHL (former Cougar). That said, this is Greens year and rightly so. I also don't think Thomas is worthy of the Vezina. Mason got 10 shut outs... in his rookie year and single handedly took his team to the playoffs, in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

I'd love to make a bold prediction here about my hometown BJs, but I have a feeling they might be suffering from we're-just-happy-to-be-here syndrome. My gut tells me to be prepared for Detroit to pull the brooms out, but it would be cool to see them take a couple games.

If there's going to be an upset in the west, it will be the Jackets. Nash > Osgood. Mason > Osgood. See what I'm getting at here? If they come out hard, win one of those first two away games, and win at home, they could do something.

I like the Bruins... and of course, Chara is one of my favorite players in the NHL (former Cougar). That said, this is Greens year and rightly so. I also don't think Thomas is worthy of the Vezina. Mason got 10 shut outs... in his rookie year and single handedly took his team to the playoffs, in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

If there's going to be an upset in the west, it will be the Jackets. Nash > Osgood. Mason > Osgood. See what I'm getting at here? If they come out hard, win one of those first two away games, and win at home, they could do something.

Mason will win the Calder, but Thomas rightly deserves the Vezina. Best save %, and lowest goals against... But Mason and Backstrom will be the other finalists.

The BJs definitely should scare the Wings - they won the season series against them, and Osgood hasn't been reliable. But, having said that - the Wings have all been here before. They won't panic, even if they go down 2-0. But, given Osgood's play, it will be very difficult for them to repeat.

Here's an interesting stat: In the past 5 years, the previous year's Cup Winner has either lost in the 1st round, or missed the playoffs completely.

DONT KNOW HOW OR TYPING REALLY FAST ASSUMING THAT PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD HAVE THE BRAINS TP FIGURE WHAT TEAM IM TALKING ABOUT?

WHAT DO YOU THINK HOMIE?

cna yuo raed tihs? if yuo cna yuo hvae a straeng mnid tooooooooooo

Are you for real?

Islanders got Tavares. People forget what a great franchise this once was, I really hope they can turn it around. I got a little worried today when I realized the Kings could potentially land 1st over all... can you imagine Moller, Kopitar, Brown, Boyle, Doughty, Johnson, etc in a few years WITH Tavares? That would be absolutely ridiculous. Woo I can't wait for the draft.

Habs suck...moving on...

;)

I hear by declare the BOSTON BRUINS the official EASTERN CONFERENCE team of VIA CHICAGO.

Anyways...

Tonight's the night, yes it is,

tonight's the night

Tonight's the night, yes it is,

tonight's the night.

Those were the only lyrics of that song that were fitting, but man, are they fitting. Tonight is the night!!!

wow, Rangers win, Pens, Devils surprised me a bit.

I haven't seen this Tavares kid, is he the real deal ?

My dad used to coach against him in minor hockey when he was 15 playing practically two years up he had over 300 points now I forget how many games GTHL teams play but thats allot of points, he has the record for the most points in OHL history probablly the best hands of the decade but.. he cant skate lol

I mean can't skate all that well compared to Crosby or even Stampkos

wow, Rangers win, Pens, Devils surprised me a bit.

I haven't seen this Tavares kid, is he the real deal ?

I've watched him closely this year... especially in the world juniors. I don't think he has any problem what so ever with his skating (even if skating is a problem, that can be fixed, look at Cody Hodgson from a year ago to now). In my opinion, he seems more promising then Sidney Crosby did. He's absolutely lethal. He broke Gretzky's records in juniours.....

Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM

2005–06 Oshawa Generals OHL 65 45 32 77 72

2006–07 Oshawa Generals OHL 67 72 62 134 60

2007–08 Oshawa Generals OHL 59 40 78 118 69

2008–09 Oshawa Generals OHL 32 26 28 54 32

2008–09 London Knights OHL 24 32 18 50 22

2009 Canada WJC 6 8 7 15 0

(sorry that won't format well, wikipedia it!!)

Victor Hedman will go #2, a 6 ft 6 in Swedish defenseman.

Also... WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! Damn Luongo was God-like tonight. Kesler was fantastic. I'm so stoked.

Bruins tonight! Go Bruins! I think they have a great chance to win the East but it will hard to beat SJ-DET in the finals......

I loved that Phil Kessel finished with 34, maybe 35 goals this year. too bad he was hurt for a few weeks, probably net more.

I'm gonna poop my pants!

I hear Chicago is going crazy... they even lit the Sears Tower to be red. Good to see markets like Chicago and St. Louis returning to their former glory.