Wilco Should Release An Anniversary/Deluxe edition of YHF

Maybe they could also release a movie, better yet a documentary, detailing the events that transpired during the recording of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It could be in black & white! But ya in all honestly a special edition of YHF would be tremendous. I don't understand why bands are so stingy about releasing bonus material, live albums, etc.

"With all the radiohead deluxe editions"? The stuff the record company is putting out to spite Radiohead for leaving the label?

Why would I want to pay again for a Wilco record I already have and/or for demo songs that I already have?

"With all the radiohead deluxe editions"? The stuff the record company is putting out to spite Radiohead for leaving the label?

Why would I want to pay again for a Wilco record I already have and/or for demo songs that I already have?

Agreed. I have all this stuff.

I for one, am against re-releases with bonus tracks (and best-ofs with new tracks). Forcing your fans to dish out cash for something they already once did is an insult.

I am, however, not opposed to b-side/rarity/etc compilations, like Dylan's Bootleg Series or Nirvana's terrible "With the Lights Out" box set .

I for one, am against re-releases with bonus tracks (and best-ofs with new tracks). Forcing your fans to dish out cash for something they already once did is an insult.

I am, however, not opposed to b-side/rarity/etc compilations, like Dylan's Bootleg Series or Nirvana's terrible "With the Lights Out" box set .

Had to take the Nirvana dig didn't you. :realmad

I dunno...I'm 50/50 on comps vs. bonus discs. I feel like bonus discs give the extra material context than say putting random things from completely different eras doesn't provide.

There's also a 3rd option which is the rarities album. They were pretty popular in the 90s, since there was no internet to distribute b-sides, but now I don't know what would really be the point. Also unlike say, The Smashing Pumpkins Pisces Iscariot, where all of the songs came from the sessions of 2 stylistically similar albums, produced by the same producer, using most of the same gear, a Wilco equivalent would have all sorts of songs that would have different band members, be recorded on analog and digital mediums etc etc. Unless you went back and remixed all the songs, it'd be a very scatter shot confused listening experience.

It will happen eventually. Everything get re-released - more than once these days. From what I have seen, there are many reasons for re-releases.

1. It happens after a band leaves a label and the band has some success. The band's former label re-releases their catalog in hopes of getting a piece of that success.

2. The band's hit making days are over, and re-releases are a good way to move catalog.

3. The band has a well known album that people will buy again and again, particularly when there are goodies added.

4. The band's cd catalog sounds and looks terrible, so the label deletes the albums and puts out re-releases. First in a box, and then separately a few moths later.

I have bought some bands cds 2 or 3 times. I guess it just depends on what you want, and what you are ok with sound wise.

I figure all the Wilco cds will come out with added material someday. I never thought the Uncle Tupelo cds would, but they did.

It will happen eventually. Everything get re-released - more than once these days. From what I have seen, there are many reasons for re-releases.

1. It happens after a band leaves a label and the band has some success. The band's former label re-releases their catalog in hopes of getting a piece of that success.

2. The band's hit making days are over, and re-releases are a good way to move catalog.

3. The band has a well known album that people will buy again and again, particularly when there are goodies added.

4. The band's cd catalog sounds and looks terrible, so the label deletes the albums and puts out re-releases. First in a box, and then separately a few moths later.

I have bought some bands cds 2 or 3 times. I guess it just depends on what you want, and what you are ok with sound wise.

I figure all the Wilco cds will come out with added material someday. I never thought the Uncle Tupelo cds would, but they did.

If Reprise wanted to do that with the 3 albums they have the rights to, could Wilco stop them?

I figure that is a different deal. Who knows. It just seems to me that a lot of stuff gets re-released now. REM/U2/Pearl Jam etc.

It may not happen soon, but I think it will some day.

Yeah I mean...Rereleases at least in my opinion, should come on a nice rounded off year. 10,15,20 or 25th anniversary. YHF is 7 years old; that'd be kind of random.

There's also a 3rd option which is the rarities album. They were pretty popular in the 90s, since there was no internet to distribute b-sides, but now I don't know what would really be the point. Also unlike say, The Smashing Pumpkins Pisces Iscariot, where all of the songs came from the sessions of 2 stylistically similar albums, produced by the same producer, using most of the same gear, a Wilco equivalent would have all sorts of songs that would have different band members, be recorded on analog and digital mediums etc etc. Unless you went back and remixed all the songs, it'd be a very scatter shot confused listening experience.

I like the idea of a having a rarities disc too. They have so many b-sides and unreleased stuff that is just as good as the stuff that they've released I wouldn't mind seeing it come out on a single or even double album.

I don't know how they could justify re-releasing YHF any time soon, except perhaps to include all the demo versions that most of us on here already have. Usually there's some reason a band can at least act like the re-release is necessary--e.g., the record company and/or producer screwed it up in some way (see: Pearl Jam's Ten).

But with YHF in particular, it's pretty clear that the band put out the record they wanted to make at that time, and they couldn't blame the label or the producer if they wanted to (and I don't think they do). Nor could they blame technology--e.g., this record sounded great on vinyl but the CD release sounded like crap, so now's our chance to get it right (see: R.E.M.'s Murmur).

YHF is what it is, a great record that doesn't need any changes. The out-takes and alternative takes are interesting and widely available. Why redo it now?

Then again, if they put a great set of liner notes/commentary in there, I'd buy it, because I'm just that much of a fanboy.

I would like to see a Deluxe YHF, but 15-20 years rather than 10. They can start putting out the deluxe editions once we've gotten at least 2 new albums from the boys.

That's my opinion at least... ha

With all the Radiohead deluxe editions, this would be really cool. It would mean that there could be a disk 2 with songs such as "Cars Can't Escape" and "Nothing Up My Sleeve." It could be for the ten-year anniversary of the release... just a thought.

That's a great idea, though referencing the Radiohead reissues as a model probably isn't best; Capitol just wanted to milk the albums they have the rights to as a way to get back at Thom & Co. for parting ways with them. I know it would be great to have a lot of the non-album tracks all in one place, but since the average fan can find most of them online I wonder if they wouldn't want to do the reissue for fear looking like they were just trying to cash in on YHF. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll happen and I kind of hope it does, but I'd rather have it be more like the Pavement reissues Matador has been pumping out over the last few years with a ton of material from all over the place.

I don't know how they could justify re-releasing YHF any time soon, except perhaps to include all the demo versions that most of us on here already have. Usually there's some reason a band can at least act like the re-release is necessary--e.g., the record company and/or producer screwed it up in some way (see: Pearl Jam's Ten).

But with YHF in particular, it's pretty clear that the band put out the record they wanted to make at that time, and they couldn't blame the label or the producer if they wanted to (and I don't think they do). Nor could they blame technology--e.g., this record sounded great on vinyl but the CD release sounded like crap, so now's our chance to get it right (see: R.E.M.'s Murmur).

YHF is what it is, a great record that doesn't need any changes. The out-takes and alternative takes are interesting and widely available. Why redo it now?

Then again, if they put a great set of liner notes/commentary in there, I'd buy it, because I'm just that much of a fanboy.

I think this is the best case against. This band went to war with a label, to the point of getting dumped, because they wanted to release the album they made.

I don't think you could for a band that has made their entire catalog more accessible (released and unreleased) than Wilco. Celebrate it by buying an extra copy of each of the exiisting disks and give it to a music lover who hasn't heard of it. Do it ever 5-10-20 years. You'll accomplish the same thing a re-release would do.