R.E.M. to reissue Reckoning

remreckoning452.jpg

The R.E.M. reissue campaign continues with a 25th anniversary deluxe edition of their second album, 1984's Reckoning, due out June 23 on I.R.S./A&M/UMe. Like last year's deluxe treatment of R.E.M.'s debut, Murmur, the deluxe Reckoning is a two-disc set. The second disc contains a live show taped at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on July 7, 1984 and aired on Chicago radio station WXRT. The Aragon show features eight Reckoning songs, old songs "Gardening at Night" from Chronic Town and "Radio Free Europe," "9-9" and "Sitting Still" from Murmur, and new songs "Driver 8" and "Hyena", which would show up on Fables of the Reconstruction and Lifes Rich Pageant, respectively.

180 gram vinyl versions of the reissued Reckoning and Murmur will also be released on June 23.

via Pitchfork

remreckoning452.jpg

The R.E.M. reissue campaign continues with a 25th anniversary deluxe edition of their second album, 1984's Reckoning, due out June 23 on I.R.S./A&M/UMe. Like last year's deluxe treatment of R.E.M.'s debut, Murmur, the deluxe Reckoning is a two-disc set. The second disc contains a live show taped at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on July 7, 1984 and aired on Chicago radio station WXRT. The Aragon show features eight Reckoning songs, old songs "Gardening at Night" from Chronic Town and "Radio Free Europe," "9-9" and "Sitting Still" from Murmur, and new songs "Driver 8" and "Hyena", which would show up on Fables of the Reconstruction and Lifes Rich Pageant, respectively.

180 gram vinyl versions of the reissued Reckoning and Murmur will also be released on June 23.

via Pitchfork

I actually find myself excited by a REM release. Wow.

WXRT is a treasure, Louie, and other Chicago-centric folk. I'm excited about hearing this vintage REM show.

How I wish there was a station half as good as WXRT in this part of NC.

I can understand your enthusiasm for W(U2)X(TC)R(EM)T(alking Heads) and I continue to listen to it despite many more people hipper than me who refuse. It has a very small playlist compared to what it could have however. It only goes to show just how horrendous commercial radio is. Compared to even the college stations here it sounds like crap, but compared to the other commercial stations it is a great. Everything is relative.

But the fact that XRT did jump on the REM bandwagon early and record the Sunday Night (un) concerts has left us with a show like this. So for that alone I guess we should be proud.

LouieB

me too...

me too...

me too....

LouieB

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Even though I had Murmur and at the end of the day probably like Murmur more than Reckoning, it was Reckoning that really sucked me in. I used to listen to Harborcoat about 50 times a day.

Reckoning was my favorite album, no hesitation. If my memory serves me correctly, Bill Berry's drums were prominent, er "punchy", in the original mix, which brought out the pop sound on the album. I'm excited about a remix of this. I wonder if the live show on here is the bootleg commonly known as "Ballroom Dancing"?

XRT pretty much went kaput when the family sold it.

Its now a shell of its former self.

Exactly, but I understand how bigshoulders feels. At least they play Wilco on occasion (even though it is nearly always Theologians.) But commericial radio sucks so badly that XRT sounds like fucking heaven to people from other cities. I think I have made it clear that I mourn the death of commercial radio, because i grew up on top 40. Now it is up to college and community stations to actually play something worth listening to.

Back to Murmur and Reckoning....two peas in a pod. Some of the greatest music ever recorded.

LouieB

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Even though I had Murmur and at the end of the day probably like Murmur more than Reckoning, it was Reckoning that really sucked me in. I used to listen to Harborcoat about 50 times a day.

yesssir.

yesssir.

yesssir.

yup!

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Me too! Got Murmur and Fables on vinyl as well. I was also a "Harborcoat-head" or whatever it would be called.

My favorite R.E.M. album.

My old cassette copy has gone bye-bye; so my wife and I are both also looking forward to this reissue!

Turn the kids on to some classic R.E.M. (And, that phrase still feels a little weird to me - "classic R.E.M." Should be reserved for grandpas like the Rolling Stones or something.)

That Sunday Night Unconcert is a great show. I wonder if they'll add more than the hour that was broadcast. Killer version of Gardening At Night, nice Femme Fatale opener too!

I still have my BASF tape copy!