Wilco Worship

[url="http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/religionandtheology/1440/sacred&profane:_wilco_worship_and_the_
Guest Speed Racer

I haven't read the full article yet, but I fully believe that the fan experience is very closely aligned with religious experience.

Just like 1,000 people in a neighborhood can go to church on any given Sunday and only two or three of those people are religious zealots, so too can Wilco nab a gold record and have only 'x' number of zealous devotees. William James outlines the spiritual experience through two avenues: 'white light' experiences, when someone is bowled over by an overwhelming spiritual experience; the second by the building up of habits. You can read about William James' religious experiences, as applied to fans, in Matt Hills' Fan Cultures and Daniel Cavicchi's Tramps Like Us.

Devotion to a band (or television show, science-fiction movie franchise, or even author in some cases) is characterized by a number of rites and sacred texts. Think pilgrimages to shows, conventions, waiting around after a show; artifacts such as bootlegs, out of print texts (vinyls, singles, posters, t-shirts), ticket stubs. Some people NEED - honestly NEED - to order the most complete Wilco pre-order packages, but others of us on VC can make do with only the disc/vinyl/tote bag, and still others think that buying anything beyond the disc itself is simply a stupidity tax.

Whether you come into fan-dom through a white-light experience or the slow building up of habits, admittance into the culture (even for the most zealous of converts) doesn't happen overnight. There is a full and unique culture to each fan community (Wilco v. Radiohead v. Sonic Youth for instance) that requires a kind of apprenticeship and induction period wherein the convert learns the rules and practices of the community. I fully believe there is a distinction between the venue and the community with many fan cultures - think about how many VCers aren't complete Wilco nuts anymore, but can't imagine a day without the site. The rules for 'belonging' as a Wilco fan and the rules for belonging as a VCer can be pretty different, and that's not only fine but to be expected. People who display profound devotion to Christianity can have trouble finding churches that are a good fit, and that doesn't make them any more or any less of a Christian.

While music/science-fiction/sports/etc. fanatics have been, for a long time, characterized and pathological and foolish, the trend has shifted in academia (with the rise of modern anthropology/sociology research, as well as 'new' interdisciplinary programs such as cultural and media studies) to lend more legitimacy to fanatics as articulate, highly-intelligent, not at all foolish individuals; pop-culture fanaticism is considered a kind of religious devotion and important affirmation of self.

Henry Jenkins, former co-director of the MIT Comparative Media Studies program, sometimes describes this devotion (though he was by no means the first to do so) as "identity management," insofar as devotees often project their own identities onto their objects of devotion in order to justify and further affirm their own.

On this topic, I've always been really fascinated by some Sleater-Kinney fans' interest in Carrie Brownstein's sexuality; it's known in the fan community that Carrie and Corin had a brief romantic relationship when Sleater-Kinney started out, but now Corin's married. Janet has always identified as straight. On the surface, there seemed to be a perfect identity-triumvirate - Corin bi, Janet straight, Carrie gay. When Carrie was seen in years ago getting friendly with someone of a more gentlemanly persuasion, the Sleater-Kinney fansite went APESHIT; fans who identified as gay or lesbian or queer took this as a personal affront, and it always seemed to me that, by Carrie taking up with a man, the queer Sleater-Kinney fans could no longer affirm their own identities through Carrie's music. It sounds strange, I know, but as a lesbian who herself felt weird reading the posts, it's absolutely amazing - fans were really hurting. I was aware of why it felt weird to me, which made it even weirder - did I really enjoy their music partly because I thought Carrie's own identity was an articulation or affirmation of my own?

So. There are a few of my thoughts, none of which are fully formed. I could talk about this stuff all day (and sometimes think about returning to school to spend the rest of my life doing exactly that, haha!).

1. Our love truly is all of God's money.

2. "On and On and On" would make a great hymn.

It really just gets to the heart of the issue: faith is not the same as religion. Faith is by far one of the most personal things belonging to someone: faith is someone's singular relationship with a higher power. Religion is inherently more of a social thing. You go to service to connect with others over the same experience. Same thing with a concert. You go to a concert to go connect with others over the same experience. The only difference is that a guy is either reading out of an old book or you're being bathed in rock music.

That's the way I see it, I'm surprised (and happy) that the guy chose Wilco as his example.

Guest Speed Racer
1. Our love truly is all of God's money.

2. "On and On and On" would make a great hymn.

"You have to learn how to die if you want to be alive."

The praise song that never was.

Um, might be off-topic, but what is with the ubiquity of the "rose from the ashes of Uncle Tupelo" line? Is there really no other way to say that? I tried googling it and couldn't even figure out where it originated, but my guess is allmusic.

But yes, it is a very interesting article. I'm pretty sure we can all relate to the idea of a Wilco show as a transcendent experience. I also know a few Wilco fans who are kind of like born-agains in that once they found Jeff Tweedy, they dove in head first and are committed for life. Certainly not just "casual" listeners.

"You have to learn how to die if you want to be alive."

The praise song that never was.

We should form our own church. The one thing that keeps me away from church (I come from a long line of Catholics, but for reasons never fully explained, I was baptized and went to Sunday School at an Episcopalian church and I consider that to be my religion) is the hymns. (Well, that and they tend to have church like before noon on Sundays and that is generally not an awake time for me.) I am sensitive musically - a whole bunch of white people singing off-key songs written 200 years ago accompanied by bad organing is just unbearable. So our church should play Bob Marley, U2, Beatles and Wilco songs, among others. Like some fucking J.S. Bach.

My bff seriously worries about me when I refer to Jeff as a "god". She just doesn't understand.

So our church should play Bob Marley, U2, Beatles and Wilco songs, among others. Like some fucking J.S. Bach.

I would TOTALLY join and then maybe my Pentecostal (born-again like) mother would get off MY BACK already!!!

Guest Speed Racer
My bff seriously worries about me when I refer to Jeff as a "god". She just doesn't understand.

I would TOTALLY join and then maybe my Pentecostal (born-again like) mother would get off MY BACK already!!!

Holy shit! There's a clergy in my back!

You move me so, old radiant theist, please cure my plight.

Peter Townshend has spoken at length, and very eloquently, on the concept of rock and roll (and especially rock concerts) as a form of salvation. I tend to agree with him - the very best bands (through their music) can achieve transcendence in the listeners. Wilco is no exception there. I've been to a few Wilco shows that just left me completely energized - not all, but a lot of it has to do with the frame of mind I was in at showtime.

Please Be Patient With Me sounds like a good mantra at this church.

I was thinking of how many people I peddled Wilco to in the past. One such friend called me a Wilco Peddler. LOL.

7 people. 1 liked them but didn't follow through or something like that. Although he did go see them once. But all 7 have seen Wilco and came away blown away.

But yeah at least half of them have gone to that place where they seek all Wilco music and do that on their own and don't have me make them live cds or album mixes.

It's nice to be able to share this band with people close to me.

Kristofor

PS Yeah, every time I leave a Wilco show it is pretty amazing. I feel like I can take on King Kong. I'd probably be eaten by him but oh well. For someone who has never done drugs or even drinks, I'd take my Wilco high any day. In fact, I think it's safe to say and maybe it isn't said enough: thanks to all the tapers out there who have really helped created this "culture" of Wilco. I don't know if I can say I'd love them as much without having countless bootlegs to play whenever I want.

For someone who has never done drugs or even drinks (rarely - WW), I'd take my Wilco high any day. In fact, I think it's safe to say and maybe it isn't said enough: thanks to all the tapers out there who have really helped created this "culture" of Wilco. I don't know if I can say I'd love them as much without having countless bootlegs to play whenever I want.

Ditto.

And for me, all of those generous people (Jim, Tam, Thomas, etc.) who make these for me since I don't know my way around this stuff to save my life :cheekkiss

Let's just hope Tweedy doesn't drop a "Wilco is more popular than Jesus Christ" comment in one of his interviews for WTA. It may cause many fans to burn their albums, and many more fans to burn their fingers trying to burn their albums.

--Mike

Let's just hope Tweedy doesn't drop a "Wilco is more popular than Jesus Christ" comment in one of his interviews for WTA. It may cause many fans to burn their albums, and many more fans to burn their fingers trying to burn their albums.

--Mike

Ah, but people will have to buy the records to burn them, so it's all good.

I always found church excruciatingly boring. The same tired rituals and bad singing every week (or often twice a week, as we had mass at my catholic high school on most Wednesdays). A typical concert by a band I like couldn't be more different or more better than a typical church service. There's no contest at all. I find it hard to believe that a regular church goer would say that a single church service is just as meaningful and important to them as a single concert by a band they like.

Ah, but people will have to buy the records to burn them, so it's all good.

Of course all Tweedy really said was that Wilco was bigger than Rod. Rod Stewart hasn't been big for several years.

--Mike

I always found church excruciatingly boring. The same tired rituals and bad singing every week (or often twice a week, as we had mass at my catholic high school on most Wednesdays). A typical concert by a band I like couldn't be more different or more better than a typical church service. There's no contest at all. I find it hard to believe that a regular church goer would say that a single church service is just as meaningful and important to them as a single concert by a band they like.

You're saying a concert is more meaningful and important than church? Dude, you're going to hell.

(Ha.)

I didn't say church wasn't boring. Nor did I say church was "better" than a concert. I just said it was more sacred.

I have a hard time comparing a Wilco concert to church. For me it's apples and oranges. One is a time to kick back and have fun, the other is something I feel like I need to do and has different rewards.

You're saying a concert is more meaningful and important than church? Dude, you're going to hell.

I'm saying A concert is more meaningful and important to most people (church goers included) than A church service. How many church goers would skip a concert if it meant they had to miss one church service?