I wonder if they teach this in J-shcool

Not that Tabloids are necessarily journalish...

Brooke Shields Outraged at Tabloid's Antics

Ever wonder how tabloids get such juicy stories?

A reporter with the National Enquirer allegedly checked Brooke Shields' mother out of her nursing room on Thursday by posing as a friend, according to People. Teri Shields, 75, suffers from dementia.

"I intend to take every lawful action against all who were involved or who authorized this despicable act," said Brooke, who hasn't pressed any charges yet.

Police were called to the nursing home by its staff to help look for the elder Shields, who had been allowed to leave but was gone for an "extended period of time." They found Teri unharmed chatting with a freelance journalist at a restaurant next door to the New Jersey assisted-living center.

The journalist and a photographer were questioned by police. The incident is still under investigation.

Money aside... I really do feel bad for these celebrities in a lot of ways. They have lost the ability to participate in the human experience. No wonder so many of them are Scientologist raging sociopaths. I wish this whole celebrity culture would be replaced by SOMETHING enlightened and informative.

If by "J-school" you mean jagoff school, then the answer is yes.

The panic attack stricken me would close this thread right now...but I want to see what some of our 'professional' journalists think of this. (I know Bjorn is a professional but I am not sure how many others on here are...)

Just think... in about 10 years, kids will be asking what "J-School" was.

No, because the powers-that-be, completely unrestrained in a post-journalist world, will alter the records and erase all knowledge of "journalism."

Well, I certainly wouldn't tell one of my reporters to kidnap somebody's dementia-addled mom to pump them for info.

I remember hearing about someone actually trying to cut a hole in the floor in the room above where Pitt and Jolie were staying with the new baby so they could get the first picture. When you figure it could be a million dollar picture or something, you are not going to get much restraint from some people.

For a million dollar picture, maybe, although it's still repugnant.

But what the hell do these assholes hope to get out of Brooke Shields' mom at this point? Her creepy childhood was pretty well documented as it happened, and she seems to be living a happily dull life now.

Speaking of Journalism??? If you ever watch TMZ all they do is bait celebrities with baiting questions that are bizzare and are hoping to get rises out of people. If they ever saw Tweedy on the street (If they knew who he was) they would surely ask about the Lawsuit or Farrar.

Asking Jeff Tweedy about a pending lawsuit is not the same as kidnapping someone's senile mother from a nursing home.

Topical ≠ baiting and bizarre

I know it is not..but TMZ sole purpose is to get rises out of people (Yes I was going slightly off topic). The thing about Shields mom is nuts...

Just think... in about 10 years, kids will be asking what "J-School" was.

That's probably true. When I got my journalism degree 10 years ago, I had never heard of "J-School".

I know it is not..but TMZ sole purpose is to get rises out of people (Yes I was going slightly off topic). The thing about Shields mom is nuts...

TMZ's audience wouldn't have a fig of an idea who Jeff Tweedy is. But he would get coverage is he checked back in for drug rehab (along with the CNN scroll).

I just dont understand why anyone in todays age would spend 10's of thousands of dollars to go to J-school.

There was a day when I thought that was what I wanted to do with my life. But the industry is for all intents and purposes, dead. I dont see how going into debt to attend Medill makes a lick of sense when in all likelihood there wont be a job when you get out anyway.

It's been a pretty violent arc from the post-Watergate push into Journalism (with a capital "J"), through the desktop publishing boom, when publishing became accessible, through the current economic downturn and the wooden spike it has drove through print. It's been a good gig, but fighting for the integrity of the industry today is like filling sandbags and watching the sewage rise faster.