Singing aloud at shows

To be honest when I go to shows, which is less and less frequent, I go for the total experience. The total experience for me includes things like, the guy who has had too much to drink and sits passed out in his own vomit missing the entire show, Saw this at the Who and at Kiss once). It includes the people talking, singing along, playing air guitar and making their best rock faces during their favorite solos. It includes the way people are dressed, including the variety of band t-shirts. It includes the morons who bull rush the stage to form their mosh pit (a non-Wilco event), or the guy who always seems to be there alone who invariably ends up standing in front of me dancing all by himself. It includes the overall vibe and energy of the show, the mood and sway of the crowd. Mainly it is about the band, but for me it is always about more. I probably spend about half my time watching the band and half watching the crowd. It

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, c'mon. Who hasn't done this? It's much more effective, visually, with actual hand puppets though.

When are you starting that cottage industry of tiny Hand Puppets Lammy? I'd like to order a Hummingbird because I could use it at work too! :dancing or perhaps a :bee .

My first concert was Josh Ritter when I was in middle school, it was really great...until... a woman next to me started this (very loud) like mumble-slurr-humm combo during my favorite song. While Josh is rocking out shes like "MaaaannnburrrniiiinnnatttbooOOthhh enndss" Oh heavens, the worst.

The cool thing though is after the show I got to meet him! He was super nice I told him I played guitar and on my autograph he wrote:

Leanne, GO KICKASS and Rock n Roll! :blink

i had a Neil Young show ruined by this shit.

So did I. It was Neil solo acoustic and somehow I'd gotten 8th row center seats. The drunk woman behind me would not stop through the whole show. I'm surprised Neil didn't tell her to shut the hell up, since she was that close. Jeff would've, knowing him.

I think it's appropriate for encores (as things are reaching their conclusion, in other words) and when the band requests it. Otherwise, we didn't pay to hear karaoke.

So did I. It was Neil solo acoustic and somehow I'd gotten 8th row center seats. The drunk woman behind me would not stop through the whole show. I'm surprised Neil didn't tell her to shut the hell up, since she was that close. Jeff would've, knowing him.

I think it's appropriate for encores (as things are reaching their conclusion, in other words) and when the band requests it. Otherwise, we didn't pay to hear karaoke.

good choice in avatars, Carl

:thumbup

good choice in avatars, Carl

:thumbup

Thanks, as I mentioned recently in another thread, I took that at a show a few years ago at the legendary (to some) Crocodile Cafe in Seattle. I checked out your website - nice!. We should connect about concert photography some time, as I've taken scads over the years (not as many as you have though - nice stuff you have there)

Cheers :cheers

you guys are nuts if you think singing along at a rock concert is not okay. if I'm going to see my favorite band rock out, I'm gonna be beltin' out the words the entire time.

now, if its like a little quiet acoustic show, then that's different.

but at a rock concert, if you are anywhere near the front, you can be singing your head off and no one is really going to hear you.

While I do like to sing along on occasion, I would NEVER do it at an acoustic show. That's just rude.

I almost got my ass kicked by a bum at a free Parliament-Funkadelic concert because I asked him to stop blowing his whistle in my ear.

You sure that wasn't George Clinton?

I'm a little behind, but thanks for my new sig, guys. :rotfl

Oh and add me to the lip syncher list. I thought I was the only one.

• 2 weeks later...