Wilco 7.03.09 Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Ah, gotcha. For the whole venue you mean? They do those, too. I think the sound is pretty decent in most spots in the venue and as one that doesn't have a lot of intense interest to be on top/close of/to whatever band I'm seeing I'm fine with the system either way. Though the GA section includes the immediate front too, so....

I'm just bitching to bitch, the sound is great all over red rocks no matter where you're at. I've never had bad sound there except for when the wind is kicking. I prefer the shows where GA means go sit down, don't get all uppity about seat numbers, i had a number of people ask us to move so they could sit at their seats. I do have a preference for the planters there.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossroads is a huge venue I think. It didn't feel too crowded at all except to use the porty potties. How lucky are the people who watched the show from their loft roof. It was a great show! The fireworks going off for what's his name playing @ the Sprint Center were an added bonus. That's a good venue! I din't dig Columbia because it was on the street & very bright & hard to see. I agree we need better venues this way. I think the Uptown in KC would be awesome.

Crossroads is plenty big! The show in October 2007 there was awesome; they pulled out quite a few oldies and Jeff talked smack on Elton John all night, who was playing the brand-spankin' new shiny Sprint Center arena that night. That was the season closer for the Crossroads. Wilco played at the Uptown Theater in KCMO in 2006 and it was plenty big...I remember that show too. Great setlists.

I had a great time at the show and it was one of the best Wilco shows so far. They rock, but i never knew they could rock this hard... maybe it was the large rocks behind them. If anyone has contact info for a taper that'd be much appreciated, I'd love to have this in the collection.

Also, my beef, at red rocks for this show, do a reserved seating and a true GA seating area... none of this in between nonsense.

Proper etiquette is to wait to ask about a recording at least 30 days after the show. Something will pop up here in the coming weeks.

Denver Post blog review

http://blogs.denverpost.com/reverb/2009/07/06/live-review-wilco-red-rocks-amphitheatre/

Some nice photos too

Live review: Wilco @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre

by John Hendrickson on July 6, 2009

“He’s the man who loves you.” Jeff Tweedy at Red Rocks on Friday. Photos by Joe McCabe.

“What you once were isn’t what you want to be anymore.”

These were the words that stuck out most from Wilco’s two hour-plus marathon at Red Rocks on Friday. Jeff Tweedy and nearly 10,000 of his fans repeated the line several times during an elongated version of “A Shot in the Arm,” the sixth of 28 songs that Wilco played before saying goodnight to Colorado.

Wilco was once rife with conflict, competition and complications. Friday night made it clear that they don’t want to be that band anymore.

When a two-person camel mascot trotted out on stage and “The Price Is Right” theme song played over the PA system, laughter and applause welcomed Wilco on stage, who nonchalantly trailed behind the gag and picked up their instruments. For every emotion that the Wilco catalog may conjure, “funny” isn’t necessarily one of them. But the self-aware opening track of “Wilco (the Album)” — the aptly titled “Wilco (the Song)” — marks a giant step of lightening up, and was the unsurprising show opener.

For the first time in a long time, perhaps all time, the division between Tweedy and the band on stage was almost non-existent. This was highlighted by a graceful microphone surrender and instrument switch with bassist John Stirratt for the country-drenched “It’s Just That Simple,” Stirratt’s own deep cut off 1995’s “A.M.” The new mantra was visible through smaller moments as well — like when Tweedy looked at guitarist Nels Cline and said, “That was epic, Nels,” after a meandering solo on a 4th of July eve “Ashes of American Flags.”

The band touched at least one base from each of its previous six albums while peppering in an appropriate amount of new material. A clean cut “You Never Know” (new) followed a distorted six-string conversation between Tweedy and Cline on “Handshake Drugs” (old-ish). It was one of many unlikely pairings that felt like an appeasement to fans — a plea to stay friends with the gang who’s moving away from the place where you all grew up. “When you’re back in your old neighborhood/The cigarettes taste so good/But you’re so misunderstood,” moaned Tweedy and his audience on the late-appearing “Misunderstood,” the loudest sing-along of the night following “Jesus, Etc.” and the spiritual battle cry of “Can’t Stand It.”

Whether mock-crooning and shuffling the length of the stage on “Hummingbird” or stepping out of the spotlight to let Cline and multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone make rock star moves on “Heavy Metal Drummer,” Tweedy was enamored with everyone around him — be it the band he’s spent the better part of his career assembling or the audience who supported his new songs (almost) as much as the old ones that brought them to the concert.

“I’m a wheel/I will/Turn on you,” Tweedy taunted during the hyperspeed second encore slow closer. For better or worse, it’s something weary Wilco fans can take solace in.

I'll never understand this.

we know Jules yay.gif

for me the energy from the band & crowd I felt @ this show compared to other shows is a sense of never wanting to leave & wanting to be together. The band was exchanging so much love to one another & to the crowd. The crowd also seemed the same ( and a little more high).I chalk some of it up to the mountain air & blanket of stars. I have never had so much room to roam during a show or seen the band have so much room on stage. I also like how JT seems at peace in his world & how it flows thru the band. I connect more and more to who JT is now because we both are happily married with awesome kids. I'm not angry youngster anymore so I like seeing bands who speak from my heart not only as it was but as it is now.

I'm happy Wilco is happy.

Relax. I'm happy the band was happy. The crowd was happy. Who does'nt want to be happy? It was a great night. Perhaps my comments were better suited for another thread. I enjoy edgier concerts in smaller venues with a more attentive crowd (Tweedy at the Gothic comes to mind.) Perhaps that's selfish on my part. The band is in a good spot, Tweedy is healthy and happy. I think that shows in there new music and songs, for better or worse. I prefer the tortured artist. Complexity in the music has nothing to do with it to me. Again, probably needs another thread.

I can understand wanting more complex music, perhaps as a result of personal turmoil, but how can you say you'd rather the band members be unhappy than to put on a show they enjoy doing?

I mean, just from a humanitarian standpoint, that's fucked up.

great point. I have seen shows where bands were so pissed off at whatever that I left feeling their shit. I don't need shiny happy people holding hands on stage but it's good to see ones healthy spirit flow thru their music. It's good to see a band play without being fucked up. It's awesome to see a WIlco that doe not want to leave the stage. I'm glad to witness the growth. I get to grow old with Wilco. Some of my favorites like Dylan I only got to experience when they were old.

Relax. I'm happy the band was happy. The crowd was happy. Who does'nt want to be happy? It was a great night. Perhaps my comments were better suited for another thread. I enjoy edgier concerts in smaller venues with a more attentive crowd (Tweedy at the Gothic comes to mind.) Perhaps that's selfish on my part. The band is in a good spot, Tweedy is healthy and happy. I think that shows in there new music and songs, for better or worse. I prefer the tortured artist. Complexity in the music has nothing to do with it to me. Again, probably needs another thread.

Red Rocks allows just a litte more of the smoke to flow than indoor venues so I guess you will get a less attentive crowd here & there. Everyone around us behind sound was singing & dancing to every single song. Nobody sat down.I was surprised how many people I saw on my beer runs that were off in corners porking & not watching the show??? I would say @ least a 100 or so people were just hanging out in the trees & were not aware the most awesomest band on earth was playing. I will never get that. But what a place to hang out though!

I enjoy edgier concerts in smaller venues with a more attentive crowd (Tweedy at the Gothic comes to mind.)

I was at this show, as well, and was a little bummed at the noise throughout the whole show. Certainly it was more intimate because of the venues comparison but I was put off by the cramped feeling and the lack of respect for the soloist on stage with all the noise. been to plenty of Gothic shows, too. To each his own, of course.

.I was surprised how many people I saw on my beer runs that were off in corners porking & not watching the show??? I would say @ least a 100 or so people were just hanging out in the trees & were not aware the most awesomest band on earth was playing. I will never get that. But what a place to hang out though!

I love this aspect of places like Red Rocks. I avoid reserved seating for this very reason. I don't like to feel as if I'm at a movie and need to remained seated and eyes glued to the main event. The trees areas are good places for view and sound, mostly, too. Usually right by the beer vendors as well.

My ex went with a group of folks in which some were just a little familiar with the band and others were really into the band. During the show the first category of folks were bored and some wanted to leave. It's like that at any concert, though. Nice place to hang out if you're not into the band, though....

maybe you guys caught him on an off day for being in a bad mood, didnt he say we were the best audience ever?where i was sitting ever single person was paying attention even the bathroom was empty for the 30 second set break.but either way still the best time ive had or might ever have at a wilco show.crossroads seems small to me, how many does it hold?cant be more than 2k.they could play municipal with the back cut off like phish did back in 96.

I love this aspect of places like Red Rocks. I avoid reserved seating for this very reason. I don't like to feel as if I'm at a movie and need to remained seated and eyes glued to the main event. The trees areas are good places for view and sound, mostly, too. Usually right by the beer vendors as well.

My ex went with a group of folks in which some were just a little familiar with the band and others were really into the band. During the show the first category of folks were bored and some wanted to leave. It's like that at any concert, though. Nice place to hang out if you're not into the band, though....

Hey Chris, I tried to pm you but it seems that you can't except any new messages. Great to meet up with you!

Hey Chris, I tried to pm you but it seems that you can't except any new messages. Great to meet up with you!

Freed up some space....

Likewise with meeting up. Nice time in the lot.

My recording (24 and 16 bit) is up on cotapers...enjoy.

http://cotapers.org/torrents.php

Wilco

2009-07-03

Red Rocks

Morrison, CO

### 16 BIT VERSION - 24 BIT ALSO AVAILABLE ###

SOURCE: Beyerdynamic MC930 > Fostex FR2LE (@ 24/48)

CONVERSION: Sound Forge 9.0 (Fades + EQ + Waves L3 Multimaximizer) > CD Wave (tracking) > r8brain (convert to 16/44.1) > Traders Little Helper (FLAC level 6) > Foobar 2000 (tagging)

SETLIST:

1. Intro (Price Is Right Theme)

2. Wilco (The Song)

3. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

4. Bull Black Nova

5. You Are My Face

6. One Wing

7. A Shot In The Arm

8. At Least That's What You Said

9. Deeper Down

10. Impossible Germany

11. It's Just That Simple

12. Can't Stand It

13. Jesus, Etc.

14. Shouldn't Be Ashamed

15. Hate It Here

16. Handshake Drugs

17. You Never Know

18. Walken

19. I'm The Man Who Loves You

20. Everlasting Everything

Encore 1:

21. [Encore Break]

22. Ashes Of American Flags

23. California Stars (with Okkervil River)

24. Misunderstood

25. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

26. Hummingbird

Encore 2:

27. The Late Greats

28. Heavy Metal Drummer

29. Hoodoo Voodoo

Still buzzing from this show. So good to meet/see some of you again! Great memories to take away from this show from lady bugs, snakes, poses, ponytail man etc. What a great crowd we were with - nice to share the vibes with you all!

Misunderstood was bad ass with the crowd chanting nothings so fierce, BBN was manic. And the debut of Everlasting Everything was just a gorgeous tune in a gorgeous place. This show will forever be etched in my memory. Thanks to the guys for all they give to so many of us.

Will post some pics soon.

This took me a while to post, but here's a visual representation of the storm we all survived while waiting in line for the Red Rocks show - this monsoon came after sound check, but before the gates opened. The storm dumped 2 inches in an hour, with a hail storm thrown in to ensure we got the message. The picture was taken after about 40 minutes under our tarp, with everyone holding the edges down against strong winds, and after the volume of rain was so dramatic that it started cascading down the stairs where the crowd was waiting in line. We all ended up with red-stained pants, socks and shoes! Dramatic experience, but we'll all remember this aspect of the show, to be sure.

Had a blast seeing friends from previous shows, and meeting some new ones too. Just about everything that I would have said about the show has already been said in this thread.

Many thanks to the gentlemen in the band who bring us much musical happiness...2 1/2 hours per night!

The height of the storm.JPG

This took me a while to post, but here's a visual representation of the storm we all survived while waiting in line for the Red Rocks show - this monsoon came after sound check, but before the gates opened. The storm dumped 2 inches in an hour, with a hail storm thrown in to ensure we got the message. The picture was taken after about 40 minutes under our tarp, with everyone holding the edges down against strong winds, and after the volume of rain was so dramatic that it started cascading down the stairs where the crowd was waiting in line. We all ended up with red-stained pants, socks and shoes! Dramatic experience, but we'll all remember this aspect of the show, to be sure.

Had a blast seeing friends from previous shows, and meeting some new ones too. Just about everything that I would have said about the show has already been said in this thread.

Many thanks to the gentlemen in the band who bring us much musical happiness...2 1/2 hours per night!

Thanks for the photo!

Wish I was dealing with this again instead of working!!! What great memories!