New Califone Album/Film

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the kind of music that sticks to your ribs.

The record wasn't even half-done last night and I logged on to buy a ticket to their show in NY in October. Does anyone know the setup for the movie/soundtrack performance? Will they be playing oldies too? Just curious.

The record wasn't even half-done last night and I logged on to buy a ticket to their show in NY in October. Does anyone know the setup for the movie/soundtrack performance? Will they be playing oldies too? Just curious.

According to the paper (since I won't be able to report back...) They are opening with some regular material and then showing and playing along with the movie.

LouieB

Thanks LouieB.

Buy me a ticket for NYC.....and let me stay with you and take me to the show....(just kidding....I STILL can't believe I didn't find a way to buy tix to the Chicago shows...)

LouieB

Listening now....great new record. I like this somewhat better than the Roots and Crowns actually. Some of it sounds sort of Wilcoesque (returning the favor after some Wilco sounded Califonic...)

(Actually maybe it sounds sort of UTesque if the truth were known.)

LouieB

I hope to finally get around to cracking the wrapper on my copy and listening to it today while I work at home. Stupidly missed buying tickets to their shows this weekend. I didn't even figure out when they went on sale. When did this group get so big?? Some days I just can't figure out who is big and who isn't.

LouieB

I'm not sure they're actually "big", although they seem to be getting bigger. I hope they're big. They deserve it. ;)

I agree, I like Funeral Singers a tad better than Roots & Crowns (which I also like quite a bit). I've been listening non-stop, but that's what I do.

I think that their film/shows will be partly improvised, so I'm not sure how much of the setlist will be from their records. According to an interview with Rutili that I recently read, the CD isn't supposed to be the film's soundtrack. In other words, a lot of the film is actually scored.

I can't wait. I was really disappointed I didn't get tickets and now that I have them I can't sleep. I went back and saw their schedule. It would be fun to follow them around on this, but it ain't gonna happen. They are playing some pretty sweet venues.

I offered my extra ticket to my old friend John who turned me on to all kinds of music back in the 70s. He didn't hesitate for a minute. It is certainly the hot ticket in town.

LouieB

They did a couple of segments for Chicago Public Radio where they played a few songs and talked about the film process--you can listen to and/or download them here:

Part 1: http://www.wbez.org/Content.aspx?audioID=37279

Part 2: http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/content.aspx?audioID=37302

I don't know why they have two different web addresses.

Edit, here's the full/extended interview: http://www.wbez.org/Content.aspx?audioID=37303

Finally got my hands on this album. Definitely worth the wait! I might actually like it more than Roots and Crowns.

Is any band making better music than Califone right now?

I sort of agree with this...and the answer is probably not. This is highly original stuff.

LouieB

Yeah. ^

Just announced for you kids on the west coast!

Dec 3 2009 8:00P

Husky Union - University of Washington Seattle, Washington

Dec 4 2009 8:00P

Rickshaw Theatre Vancouver, British Columbia

Dec 5 2009 8:00P

The Mission Theater Portland, Oregon

Dec 7 2009 8:00P

Great American Music Hall San Francisco, California

Dec 9 2009 8:00P

Hammer Museum Los Angeles, California