New Califone Album/Film

Wow.

I read this thread never having heard (of) Califone. I still haven't heard them but local public library has "Heron King Blves", picking it up tomorrow. Uh, can they possibly live up to the hype? I feel like I should jump right into this latest album, since it's apparently direct from the lips of God. "Heron..." any good? Good starting point?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I read this thread never having heard (of) Califone. I still haven't heard them but local public library has "Heron King Blves", picking it up tomorrow. Uh, can they possibly live up to the hype? I feel like I should jump right into this latest album, since it's apparently direct from the lips of God. "Heron..." any good? Good starting point?

I probably wouldn't direct someone to HKB as an intro to Califone. It's a good album, but probably their strongest deviation from their "sound". It's almost a two-part thing. The earlier tracks are more Califoney, and the longer, later tracks, "Two Sisters Drunk on Each Other" and "Heron King Blues", are more like Califone+swamp funk.

In sum, I like everything they've done, though If I were you, I'd get the new one first.

so its not Heron King Blves, as it's listed at the Cincy library. Good to know. I hate stuff like that.

I'm pumped about this band from reading this. If I can wait, I'll try to pick those other albums up first. Thanks!

Heron King Blues may be their least accessable album actually.

LouieB

Not including their all-instrumental ones (right?).

so its not Heron King Blves, as it's listed at the Cincy library. Good to know. I hate stuff like that.

I'm pumped about this band from reading this. If I can wait, I'll try to pick those other albums up first. Thanks!

I think it's written as "Heron King Blves" on the cover, but the actual title of the album is "Heron King Blues".

Fun fact: in medieval times, the letters "U" and "V" were used interchangeably. These letters were not given separate alphabetical listings in English dictionaries until about 1800.

Not including their all-instrumental ones (right?).

No, I like the all instrumentals, I am just sayin....

Despite the quotes from MChristine, the vocals are somewhat inconsiquential. They are hard to understand and add to the musical mix, rather than stand out in the way lyrics do in traditional songwriting.

When you get into this band, both Deceleration albums are excellent; and instrumental.

LouieB

While somewhat deconstructed, I have found the lyrics (on this album anyway) to be deliciously dark and evocative.

I agree!!!

On this album actually the vocals are not nearly as buried as they are on other albums and they actually work as integral parts of the musical peices rather than being space fillers for vocals. I know Tim says he works very hard on the lyrics, but they are so buried in some of the mixes on earlier albums that they get totally lost; and sometimes the vocals are distorted intentionally. (this is true on the RRM albums as well.)

LouieB

I saw this show on Friday night in NYC. It was wonderful. That being said -- two minor complaints. First, I thought the movie was good, but it definitely dragged in spots. And the fact that I wanted to see the band playing their tunes, didn't help my creeping frustration.

Second, the set of tunes they played was too short, and included a spoof where the drummer picked up a guitar and played/sang Ramblin Man while Tim played drums. It was funny, but I wanted more Califone music. For such a short set, I could've done without the jokey tune.

With those two minor quibbles out of the way, I had a blast. A great band. And when they kick it into gear, they really make your hair stand up.

EDIT: too large a percentage of this post focused on my complaints, so let me boost it with this:

the new songs sound amazing. They pulled off Giving Away the Bride quite well, I thought. And the other new songs they played (I dont remember their names) already sound like Califone classics. Last song was The Orchids and it was great, of course.

I really wish this would find its way down closer to me. Oh well.

After listening to the entire Califone discography recently, I can say that this new one is definitely in the top two with Roots and Crowns. I still don't know which one I like more. But I guess it really doesn't matter.

I really wish this would find its way down closer to me. Oh well.

After listening to the entire Califone discography recently, I can say that this new one is definitely in the top two with Roots and Crowns. I still don't know which one I like more. But I guess it really doesn't matter.

I hope they announce a tour without the movie soon. Like I said, the film and the score were great, but I want more Califone.

I hope they announce a tour without the movie soon. Like I said, the film and the score were great, but I want more Califone.

i am seeing califone on thursday night. :dancing

i have never seen them live before and need to get the new album.

Looks like the remaining October dates aside from Bloomington have been canceled. :(

Thank God Bloomington is stiil on.

Looks like the remaining October dates aside from Bloomington have been canceled. :(

Really wish I would have seen this yesterday before driving 5 hours through a monsoon to Atlanta.

At least the Earl has tasty cheeseburgers and tater tots.

Really wish I would have seen this yesterday before driving 5 hours through a monsoon to Atlanta.

At least the Earl has tasty cheeseburgers and tater tots.

announcing the sudden cancellation of tour dates for this week exclusively through facebook is pretty weak (imo).

announcing the sudden cancellation of tour dates for this week exclusively through facebook is pretty weak (imo).

They don't run the Facebook page. If I'd have known, I would've put it on Pastrysharp.