Bull Black Nova question

So I read on here that Jeff said Bull Black Nova is about a guy who just killed his girlfriend, right? If that's what the song is supposed to be about, then who do you think he's calling at the end? Who is he trying to get to "Pick up! Pick up!"? The police? Doesn't seem like it since earlier he says "They're coming up the shoulders. What have they found? I wonder if they know". Seems like that's the police he's talking about. Maybe a friend or something, since he can't think and can't calm down? I guess my first thought was that he's calling the girlfriend hoping that she'll pick up and he'll come to his senses and find that the murder was just a nightmare or something. I dunno; what do you guys think?

So I read on here that Jeff said Bull Black Nova is about a guy who just killed his girlfriend, right? If that's what the song is supposed to be about, then who do you think he's calling at the end? Who is he trying to get to "Pick up! Pick up!"? The police? Doesn't seem like it since earlier he says "They're coming up the shoulders. What have they found? I wonder if they know". Seems like that's the police he's talking about. Maybe a friend or something, since he can't think and can't calm down? I guess my first thought was that he's calling the girlfriend hoping that she'll pick up and he'll come to his senses and find that the murder was just a nightmare or something. I dunno; what do you guys think?

In my mind he's trying to call a friend to like try to come to his senses following what he's just done and what to do next, which I think is most likely. Just sheer desperation, the only other theory I've ever thought of which seems more far-fetched after reading what Jeff said it was about was like it was someone trying to call the police or someone because the murderer is on the loose and that person was next. Sort of a switch in perspective at the end.

Sunshine Cleaners?

I've thought of it as the narrator slowly losing his mind over the course of the song to the point where he is so frazzled and horrified that he is calling his girlfriend, hoping beyond hope that she'll pick up and everything is actually okay.

He's calling his mom. Who else would you call after you just killed someone.

(mama...'just killed a man..)

I've thought that perhaps the references to blood and other murderous things could be viewed metaphorically -- perhaps it's just representative of any guilty act that "can't be undone" (infidelity for instance). It strikes me that the song is about guilt and the panic of confronting it and thus the whole "body in the trunk" theme could be a way of examining that, and the phone call could be an attempt to assuage that guilt or confess to the underlying act . . . or it could just be a murder ballad psycho freak-out -- the bastard child of "Via Chicago" and "Spiders."

My favorite cable movie edit of all time is Winston Wolfe's altered: "let's not sucking each others popsicles yet."

--Mike

My favorite is from Snakes on a Plane. "I have had it with these Monkey Fighting Snakes on this Monday to Friday Plane."

But that is not about Bull Black Nova, which is not about Pulp Fiction.

I'm betting he's calling Jay Farrar after he stole his girlfriend...then subsequently killed her.

Maybe I need to listen again though...

My favorite cable movie edit of all time is Winston Wolfe's altered: "let's not sucking each others popsicles yet."

Yippee-ki-yay, melon farmer!

Not to sound like a girly man, but I think they could write a whole episode (or at least a half) of True Blood around this song, So much of the lyrics could easily fit into a storyline of that show.

On a different level, that is the one thing that strikes me the most about WTA - it's marketability. I can easily see songs from this album being picked by tv shows, movies, commercials, etc.

I know Wilco sold rights to songs from SBS. I bet if they do that with this album, they could make a killing (assuming they have well written licensing contracts)

--Mike

Repo Man

"I served 15 years as a prison guard in Attica, so don't you ever say 'flip you' to me!"

"Flip you.."

"Flip You!"

I tried to watch Scarface once on TV. The whole movie was: "Thank you! No, thank you!"

Much more polite than I remembered.

Wait...so its Al Pacino doing the calling in BBN? And he's screaming "Thank you" instead of "Pick up!"???

Man, I was way off the mark....