NHL 2010-2011 Season Thread

Heatley probably will put up big numbers (50 goals, 100 points), but I'm still not convinced he's that well-suited to play with Thornton. For one, they're both left-handed shots, which takes a lot away from Joe's cross-ice pass from the corner, especially on the PP. Cheechoo shoots right, which is how he buried so many goals that year he scored 56. And even Spezza, who was Heatley's best linemate in Ottawa, shoots right.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, tank hard several years in a row and get lucky enough to draft generational talents not once, but twice? I'm sorry, but Pittsburgh's "method" hardly qualifies -- they were blessed with probably the two easiest draft decisions in the past 25 years. And anyway, Burke could never get away with that in Toronto; it's the biggest hockey market in the world, and the team has simply been too bad for too long.

Why did you bold just Pitts? Chicago did that too, that's how they got Toews (3rd 2006) and Kane (1st 2007), and now they're expected to challenge Detroit for the Central Division. That's what LA is doing, that's what Colorado will do. Washington got Ovechkin and Backstrom with high, first round draft picks. It's the quickest and easiest way to go from the bottom of the pack to the top. Generally, a top-5 pick is likely to a future NHLer and perhaps even a franchise player.

It sucks but that's what involve a rebuilding in the modern NHL. I think most Toronto fans realized that. They're still not going to make the playoffs this year, now they'll have nothing to show for it.

Developing is important but you can only develop a player so much, and Zetterberg and Datsyuk would have been great, regardless of what team they play for. That's great scouting and a certain amount of luck.

As for Heatley and Thornton, you're probably right to an extent about the right-handed shot but at the end of the day, Thornton is one of the best set-up men in the league and Heatley is one of the best goal scorers. They'll be lethal together.*

*Until mid-April.

Why did you bold just Pitts? Chicago did that too, that's how they got Toews (3rd 2006) and Kane (1st 2007), and now they're expected to challenge Detroit for the Central Division. That's what LA is doing, that's what Colorado will do. Washington got Ovechkin and Backstrom with high, first round draft picks. It's the quickest and easiest way to go from the bottom of the pack to the top. Generally, a top-5 pick is likely to a future NHLer and perhaps even a franchise player.

I bolded Pittsburgh because they're just way too extreme an example to use in any kind of rebuilding talk. Like I said, Crosby and Malkin were IMO the two easiest draft decisions any GM has made in the last 25 years, and it's virtually inconceivable that a situation like that is going to present itself to a team two years in a row ever again. (You can even reasonably assume that a player of Crosby's or Malkin's caliber isn't going to come along at all in the next 10-15 years, but that's a different story...)

As for the other teams, I understand your point, but MLSE brought Brian Burke in because Toronto fans have become exceedingly impatient with the team over the past several years, to the point where they're seen as an embarrassment nation-wide. Hearing Burke speak when they introduced Kessel, it's apparent he has every intention of making the playoffs this season, and with the players he's added (especially on defense), I wouldn't be shocked if they do finish somewhere about 7th or 8th. Whether that's in the best interests of the Leafs long-term is unclear, but I completely understand the trade from his POV (though not the contract, as I've stated).

Also, it's worth mentioning that Burke did a lot to re-stock the prospect depth this offseason by signing Europeans and college free agents.

We had our fantasy draft last night. I'm pretty happy with my results:

Bertuzzi was a throw-away. I don't expect much from him, but he could crank out 30 goals. Was surprised to see Marleau last as long as he did.

11 Niklas Backstrom, Min

14 Jeff Carter, Phi

35 Ryan Miller, Buf

38 Corey Perry, Ana

59 Dan Boyle, SJ

62 Niklas Kronwall, Det

83 Patrick Marleau, SJ

86 Devin Setoguchi, SJ

107 Brooks Orpik, Pit

110 Dustin Brown, LA

131 Paul Kariya, StL

134 Anze Kopitar, LA

155 Steven Stamkos, TB

158 Roman Hamrlik, Mon

179 Ilya Bryzgalov, Pho

182 Fedor Tyutin, Cls

203 Todd Bertuzzi, Det

206 Toni Lydman, Buf

My predictions:

Eastern playoff teams: Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina, New Jersey, Buffalo, Tampa Bay

Western playoff teams: San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver, Calgary, Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, St. Louis

Eastern Conference champion: Philadelphia.

Western Conference champion: Detroit.

Stanley Cup: Flyers.

Those playoff predictions look pretty right on. I'd take the Blues a bit higher though, they're going to be a good team, I think.

EDIT: Should be noted that tonight is Joe Sakic night. One of the all time greats.

Those playoff predictions look pretty right on. I'd take the Blues a bit higher though, they're going to be a good team, I think.

If Kariya can stay healthy and deliver, and they can continue the play they had in the 2nd half of last season, I agree - they should be very solid.

Markov out for 4 months….

Any slim chance the habs had to make the 8th spot has just been extinguished.

With their best player out, an elite defenseman in the league, out for so long there is no way they can make the playoffs the way I see it.

Should make a lot of you guys happy!

;)

The Detroit-St. Louis game was a good one.. And ovie's goals against Boston were great. It looks like its going to be another great season.

Thank god for NHL center ice and tivo...

My God...is Colorado...good?

They're up 2-0 against the 'Nucks.

Big game tonight (well...as big as the second game of the season can get), Bruins look for some revenge against the Hartford Hurricanes...carolinathird.jpg

WHAT! HOW ARE THE AVALANCHE SO GOOD?! The world no longer makes sense to me.

Duchene is looking really good, but more importantly, Craig Anderson is lights out.

Speaking of the Whalers, just found myself a Whalers tshirt yesterday. It'll go nice with my Winnipeg Jet's shirt in my "defunct NHL teams collection".

Let's go Ran-gers!

I guess I didn't realize Brian Burke was a genius until Jay Feaster explained it to me.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/28333-Jay-Feasters-Blog-Why-Brian-Burke-is-one-of-the-best-in-the-business.html

Pulitzer Prize worthy...

That WAS a good read.

Feaster probably should have noted that MTL out hit TOR by a good margin the first game they played however.

No.

They could totally use Sundin.

That'd push Ryan Kesler to the right wing, where he's much better offensively. That'd also drop someone like Shirokov or Samuelsson to the third line, Raymond to the fourth. All of a sudden the team is a lot deeper offensively.

But really, most "elite" goaltenders start off slow... time is all the Canucks need. But until then my heart will not mend :'(