Report: Bush mulled sending troops into Buffalo

Guest Jules

Sarah Palin alone should pretty much disqualify the republicans from running in the 2012 election, and yet she’s held up as the savior of the party – I mean, wtf????

I've been busy counting my money, but who's holding up Palin as the savior of the party?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been busy counting my money, but who's holding up Palin as the savior of the party?

Real Americans®

But seriously, check out Andrew Sullivan’s site – he is the most prolific blogger on the bizarre existence of Palin, and has taken a lot of flak (from “real conservatives) for taking it to her on a daily basis. She is at the top of many contender lists – and again, Sullivan has done a great job of compiling them.

Guest Jules

But seriously, check out Andrew Sullivan’s site – he is the most prolific blogger on the bizarre existence of Palin, and has taken a lot of flak (from “real conservatives) for taking it to her on a daily basis. She is at the top of many contender lists – and again, Sullivan has done a great job of compiling them.

I'll take your word for it.

it took far too long for this thread to veer here

sorry

Elite is one of those little code words employed by the hard right to pretty much end a given debate, ex:

… Republican Representative John Duncan of Tennessee. Confronted with a vast amount of evidence provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Public Health Association, the US Institute of Medicine , the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American Psychological Association that abstinence-only education does not work, does not reduce the incidence of either teen pregnancies or sexually transmitted disease, and that it is a waste of money, the honorable Mr Duncan declared his complete disinterest in data and expertise.

Rep. John Duncan, a Tennessee Republican, said that it seems “rather elitist” that people with academic degrees in health think they know better than parents what type of sex education is appropriate. “I don’t think it’s something we should abandon,” he said of abstinence-only funding.

Nobody is advocating an abandonment of the idea of encouraging abstinence; they’re saying that abstinence-only is a failure, and we should be encouraging dissemination of more information. I know, that’s terribly elitist — how dare we oppose some parents’ desire to keep their children ignorant and stupid.

Or, as Pastor Ray Mummert declared in response to that whole Intelligent Design fiasco experienced by the state of Pennsylvania:

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." Which, is pretty much fucking priceless.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture."

That makes my inner elitist smile.

Sweet Fancy Moses.

I guess the VIP mortgage deals and the 'Birther' goofiness isn't enough to keep you entertained?

There is one of them "Obama's birth certificate is bogus" dudes that writes letters to the editor sometimes. I tried using logic on him once, but to no avail.

There is one of them "Obama's birth certificate is bogus" dudes that writes letters to the editor sometimes. I tried using logic on him once, but to no avail.

The adherents for both groups (Bush is a war criminal and Obama is the anti-christ) are more than a little bit goofy.

There...I said it.

Now..go and prove my point folks.

I used to read some of the WAPO columns, George Will and Kathleen Parker always wrote well and usually were enjoyable to read. Telnes cartoons were usually good and I enjoyed Froomkin mainly because he brought together columns and stories from a wide variety of sources. Anyhow when they fired Froomkin for "business" reasons, I could pretty well guess that there were no "business" reasons about it as he was 100% web based, so I stopped reading the paper online or off. Quit it cold turkey. I had long ago come to the conclusion that Fred Hiat was an ass and not very good at being a true newspaper person. But now after this ran today I know I left for good cause, it was sent to me so I am still clean of the post. Does it get any dumber than this...

Perhaps because there is an actual videotape of the planes hitting the World Trade Center that billions of people around the world have seen, while there is no videotape of Obama being born in Hawaii or Vince Foster committing suicide.

it comes from here...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/07/24/DI2009072402556.html

Liberal media strikes again. Pretty soon Jonah Goldberg will replace Will as their main guy.

The adherents for both groups (Bush is a war criminal and Obama is the anti-christ) are more than a little bit goofy.

There...I said it.

Now..go and prove my point folks.

But they’re not the same. A very strong case could be made that Bush, is, in fact, a war criminal - authorizing torture, etc. Whereas, try as you might, using all tools at your disposal, both real and imagined, Obama will never actually be the anti-Christ - ever, by any measure.

At this time in history, the conservative movement has gone off the rails on a crazy train, and try as you might, no amount of wacky, your just as crazy relativism applies. The republican party has become unhinged - when Joe the Plumber is held up as the hero of your party, well, you just know you’re fucked.

None of this was aimed directly at you, Crow.

With all this "stupid" talk I can't believe Biden hasn't come up even once. (I don't think anyway) I mean SHIT Palin only ran as VP, look who made it. :lol

There’s a distinction to be made between saying something stupid, and being stupid, no? Biden is an intelligent guy who doesn’t have full control of his internal censor, apparently, whereas Palin, well, Palin is just fucking nuts.

There’s a distinction to be made between saying something stupid, and being stupid, no? Biden is an intelligent guy who doesn’t have full control of his internal censor, apparently, whereas Palin, well, Palin is just fucking nuts.

Why does he get the benefit of the doubt? Is it because he doesn't talk about God?

Why does he get the benefit of the doubt? Is it because he doesn't talk about God?

No, because he's proven, on many occasions, that he's intelligent and well informed. Much of what he said in his latest gaff regarding Russia was spot on, where he erred, is in speaking his mind a little too honestly whilst on the record. Palin's views regarding Russia, on the other hand, are completely off the wall, ill informed, and just plain bizzare.

Biden:

"The reality is the Russians are where they are. They have a shrinking population base, they have a withering economy, they have a banking sector and structure that is not likely to be able to withstand the next 15 years, they're in a situation where the world is changing before them and they're clinging to something in the past that is not sustainable."

Palin:

"We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state."

As far as her religious beliefs, she's chosen to align herself with extremists, so that too is fair game. With that said, my loathing for her has little to do with her religion, and more to do with the proud, willfully ignorant way in which she carries herself. That she's also a religious fundamentalist is just a bonus.

now this may be the elitist speaking, but the law degree counts for something as does his many years in the senate as well as his life story. Yes, he does say things that are not quite right, but more often than not he sounds coherent while Ms P is rarely coherent and all too frequently she just plain makes stuff up. Biden would never be surprised or taken aback by a simple question like "what news papers do you read?" On Stewart the other day they had asegment on the Palin goodbye picknick and one of her supporters said the pres treated her unfairly, whereby the interviewer said something along the lines of " you mean like when they take a quotes from her and repeat it just to mmake her sound dumb" It was classic.

I know you like to don the Devil's advocate cape, which is valid most of the time, but come on.

I'm just saying. not even really disagreeing that Biden is smarter.

But why write off the dumb things one guy says? Why can't he also be dumb, and she just happens to be dumber, or a different, more folksy kind of dumb.

Would Palin have resigned her position as VP because the press was too "hard" on her and her family?

Can you imagine how the right would react if a well known, albeit dubious democratic governor were to quit mid-term, citing unfair treatment by the media as a contributing factor? It would be a right-wing orgiastic blood bath – whereas with Palin, they’ve pretty much fallen over themselves to downplay the significance – with so called experts like Kristol calling it a “shrewd move.” Where are the republican cries of “cut and run”?

But why write off the dumb things one guy says? Why can't he also be dumb, and she just happens to be dumber, or a different, more folksy kind of dumb.

Everyone says dumb things some of the time, but not everyone says dumb things all of the time. I’ve yet to read and/or watch an interview in which she makes a modicum of sense – for her, it almost seems unpossible. She really is in a category all by herself.

Ahh - I was focusing on the "crazy" part of GON's post: I skipped past the "dumb" part. I thought you were implying that Palin might not be crazy. Which would be insane of you.