Report: Bush mulled sending troops into Buffalo

Everyone says dumb things some of the time, but not everyone says dumb things all of the time. I’ve yet to read and/or watch an interview in which she makes a modicum of sense – for her, it almost seems unpossible. She really is in a category all by herself.

I know tons and tons of people who are incredibly articulate, present themselves well and have suceeded in their given fields despite being dumb. Joe Biden would not be alone in this.

I just think it's dumb to just say 'he says dumb things all of the time, but those things don't hint at a deeper, profound dumbness' and then say 'sarah palin is, intellectually, a toddler.' she well may be, but that doesn't excuse other people's lack of not being dumb.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying. not even really disagreeing that Biden is smarter.

But why write off the dumb things one guy says? Why can't he also be dumb, and she just happens to be dumber, or a different, more folksy kind of dumb.

I’m not willing to concede that he is dumb. I’ve watched more than my fair share of Sunday morning shows, and though I do not always agree with, I don’t recall him ever coming off as dumb – dishonest, yes, but lacking in intelligence, no.

I'm not even sure I think Joe Biden is dumb, though it wouldn't surprise me.

I just think he's a dishonest career politician who probably isn't that bright, and that to me is almost as harmful as Palin's willful ignorance. Because, as seen in this thread many are willing to defend his obvious deficiencies (mostly, in my opinion) because of an appearance of intelligence, whereas it's pretty easy to write off Palin.

Though I suppose the opposite could be said, that many write off Biden's brand of highly educated (though not necessarily intelligent) smarm and accept Palin's folksy charm, despite her obvious deficiencies.

Not breaking any new ground here, I realize. It just always amuses me how you can just change a few words from a far left point of view and directly insert it to the right and say the exact same thing.

Everyone says dumb things some of the time, but not everyone says dumb things all of the time. I’ve yet to read and/or watch an interview in which she makes a modicum of sense – for her, it almost seems unpossible. She really is in a category all by herself.

The scary thing to me is that I know a lot of people who think that she makes 100% sense. Of course some of these people were openly wishing for McCain to win and then get asassinated.

I know tons and tons of people who are incredibly articulate, present themselves well and have suceeded in their given fields despite being dumb. Joe Biden would not be alone in this.

I just think it's dumb to just say 'he says dumb things all of the time, but those things don't hint at a deeper, profound dumbness' and then say 'sarah palin is, intellectually, a toddler.' she well may be, but that doesn't excuse other people's lack of not being dumb.

I don't think Biden is dumb nor do I think he says dumb things all of the time. He says dumb things often, but not all the time and no one I have ever heard in the real world has accused him of not being a sharp guy. It is entirely possible to be very smart but not articulate and that is how I see him and I see Palin as being neither.

Two things:

1. Shatner does Palin's resignation speech:

Hulu - Shatner does Palin's speech

There is one of them "Obama's birth certificate is bogus" dudes that writes letters to the editor sometimes. I tried using logic on him once, but to no avail.

Exhibit A: Is Obama a Natural Born Citizen? Constititional Crisis Looms

No, that isn't a political website. It's the politics board on a college sports website. 525 replies and he won't give it up. That guy is the definitive Birther.

Two things:

1. Shatner does Palin's resignation speech:

Hulu - Shatner does Palin's speech

Exhibit A: Is Obama a Natural Born Citizen? Constititional Crisis Looms

No, that isn't a political website. It's the politics board on a college sports website. 525 replies and he won't give it up. That guy is the definitive Birther.

a guy on a marlins board I go on got banned for constantly trolling the board and turning everything into an Obama birth certificate thread...

I don't think Joe Biden is dumb. And he no doubt is much more knowledgable than Palin on most things in the political world (shouldn't he be, considering his age and experience?).

But his gaffes and blunders shouldn't be thought of as worse than Palin's blunders. Afterall, he IS the VICE PRESIDENT. Palin most likely will be a writer and/or TV personality. I'm OK with her being more stupid.

Biden's had some doozies. The quote about people watching FDR on TV during the 1929 stock market crash (wrong President, and no TV's at the time) is pretty dumb, don't ya think? I'd argue it's worse, because I think he knew he didn't have the details right, but said them anyway, knowing most listening (including Couric) would eat that shit up.

Palin DOES sound out of her league many times. But not so much in what she says, but what she DOESN'T say. It's too obvious many times that she doesn't know the details, and ends up simplifying her words and stammering a little bit. But I think she'll get better at that. Biden, to me, seems almost manipulative in how he talks...mixing facts with made-up details....whatever it takes to make people think what he's saying is wonderful.

This a GREAT Conan joke from last week:

Yesterday, Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle threw a perfect game and afterwards, he had a five-minute phone conversation with President Obama. Meanwhile, the losing pitcher got a two-hour phone call from Joe Biden.

Palin DOES sound out of her league many times. But not so much in what she says, but what she DOESN'T say. It's too obvious many times that she doesn't know the details, and ends up simplifying her words and stammering a little bit. But I think she'll get better at that. Biden, to me, seems almost manipulative in how he talks...mixing facts with made-up details....whatever it takes to make people think what he's saying is wonderful.

This a GREAT Conan joke from last week:

Yesterday, Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle threw a perfect game and afterwards, he had a five-minute phone conversation with President Obama. Meanwhile, the losing pitcher got a two-hour phone call from Joe Biden.

That Joke was very funny. I'm sorry to disagree, but it is almost always what she says that does not make sense. She frequently does not know the details, but more often than not she is also unaware of the big picture.

I don't think Joe Biden is dumb. And he no doubt is much more knowledgable than Palin on most things in the political world (shouldn't he be, considering his age and experience?).

But his gaffes and blunders shouldn't be thought of as worse than Palin's blunders. Afterall, he IS the VICE PRESIDENT. Palin most likely will be a writer and/or TV personality. I'm OK with her being more stupid.

Biden's had some doozies. The quote about people watching FDR on TV during the 1929 stock market crash (wrong President, and no TV's at the time) is pretty dumb, don't ya think? I'd argue it's worse, because I think he knew he didn't have the details right, but said them anyway, knowing most listening (including Couric) would eat that shit up.

It’s a gaffe, but again, it is not on par with being entirely devoid of knowledge with respect to complicated issues that absolutely require a great degree of understanding. Palin declaring that she would not answer questions during her debate with Biden had nothing to do with being mavericky, and everything to do with the fact that she simply could not. Her recent concession speech is ample evidence that she has not learned from past errors, nor does she care to. You would think she would have taken the time required to craft a lucid, intelligible speech, this was, after all, probably the single most important statement of her career, one that will cast a shadow on her future, but no, it was either written in haste, or, the best she could do. This goes for both “speeches.” How her resignation and the safety of the troops, along with energy independence, has anything to do with her quitting her post as governor, is still way, way beyond me. The best evidence against Sarah Palin, is Sarah Palin.

She is profoundly more dangerous, i.e. worse, because she appears to believe her own shtick, that she is indeed capable of running the free world despite all evidence to the contrary. She consistently blames the media for portraying her in a bad light, yet rejects the fact that she, herself, is entirely responsible for coming across as a fool. It’s not too often that SNL can get laughs by simply quoting a politician verbatim.

We have all sort of developed this notion that every story has two, equally valid sides, when in fact, this is often simply not the case. Rather than compare Palin to Biden, we’d be better served comparing her to a more appropriate equal, say, a rock?

That Joke was very funny. I'm sorry to disagree, but it is almost always what she says that does not make sense. She frequently does not know the details, but more often than not she is also unaware of the big picture.

I'm not gonna disagree with you. She DOESN'T seem to get the big picture many times. That's why McCain and her went down in flames. That's why she has ZERO chance of being on the 2012 ticket.

I don't understand why it bothers so many people that a retired Alaskan Governor may or may not understand world politics and may or may not be stupid. What power does she have? What power did she ever have?

Yeah, millions of Americans love her and like her. That may turn your stomach. But she's not making any decisions. Maybe she'll be another Limbaugh or O'Reilly or Coulter....big deal! The whole lot of Conservative talk-show hosts couldn't stop Obama and Biden and a slew of Democrats get elected.

I just don't get the mean and nasty way people talk about her. Chill out folks! She's not deciding anything that will effect your life.

Guest Speed Racer

I just don't get the mean and nasty way people talk about her. Chill out folks! She's not deciding anything that will effect your life.

Because she was VERY close to being in a position where she could. I think a lot of people are still reeling from that dodged bullet. I'm not saying that to be funny, and I think for a lot of people, humor is the best way to deal with that.

Biden says dumb things, yes, but he listens to his advisors far more than Palin ever has. Coverage of the election and her brief term in office show a woman who was willfully ignorant - that is, turning away from her advisors to follow her own whims and ambitions. Biden just loves the hell out of a microphone or an audience, and lord love him for some of the things that he says, but he has a fair enough record of listening when people tell him to do things.

About the FDR anecdote: yeah he got the facts wrong, but he still accurately conveyed the sentiment he was trying to convey; I'm not excusing it, but it's a lot better than some of the yarns Palin has spun about the "elite liberal mainstream media."

jakobnicholas, if you don't understand why "it bothers so many people," I am not sure you get the Big Picture either. This woman with no understanding of anything was nominated by the Republican Party to be a heart attack away from being the country's President. The fact that she lost is almost irrelevant.

What I think is funny is the amount of time and energy people are putting into "proving" she is dumb. She can't hurt us and she'll never be anything more than a pundit or punchline. Shouldn't we be discussing truely humorous issues? Like the "cash for clunkers"? Now that's a joke.

Guest Speed Racer

She can't hurt us

This woman with no understanding of anything was nominated by the Republican Party to be a heart attack away from being the country's President. The fact that she lost is almost irrelevant.

jakobnicholas, if you don't understand why "it bothers so many people," I am not sure you get the Big Picture either. This woman with no understanding of anything was nominated by the Republican Party to be a heart attack away from being the country's President. The fact that she lost is almost irrelevant.

See, it's happening on this board.

I slightly defend Palin, and 2 quick responses suggest that had Palin been elected, our country would have spiraled into a black hole. Drop it people! She didn't make it.

We saw our freakin' democracy in action. Palin was announced by McCain. People got excited. She gave a fantastic speech at the GOP convention. But then the media did their job and exposed her. And the U.S. people felt uneasy about her. People were uneasy about McCain's age.

So guess what? Barack Obama got elected by a HUGE margin.

You all don't seem to realize that many Conservatives were equally terrified that a young, smooth-talking Senator from Chicago, with basically 1 year experience, actually DID get elected. Why is OK to be freaked out by a retired Alaskan Governor who can now make zero decisions, but yet it's never OK to wonder if Obama is in over his head?

I think you all must work the ass-kissers at MSNBC.

It's always amusing to me how Republicans feign incredulity at how folks don't let up on Palin. Palin's nomination was arguably the most cynical and depressing calculation by a major political party in our political lifetime. Qualifications be damned. If she can get some of the HRC primary voters and can solidify a base that McCain hadn't been able to convince, WE DON'T CARE. Let's throw the ball downfield and see what happens.

EDIT: and now, I am not picking on Palin. I am picking on the Party. Happy?

Guest Speed Racer

She can't hurt you anymore.

Can I borrow that crystal ball when you're done?

So long as she's alive and breathing and giving speeches at $20k a pop, there's a chance enough people might still think she's electable. That scares the fuck out of me, thank you.

Shouldn't we be discussing truely humorous issues? Like the "cash for clunkers"? Now that's a joke.

Amen.

I know MANY people, including myself, who have old cars that could qualify for Cash for Clunkers, EXCEPT the mpg don't make the government qualification. The government needs your old car to get 18mpg or less. If you look at the chart, NO regular-sized car qualifies. It's only trucks or vans or SUV's.

So, poor people with old vans are gonna benefit from this? Are they better off getting a brand new $17000 car with a $4500 discount? Wouldn't it be cheaper for those people to trade in for a good used car?

I can see many wealthy SUV owners trading in to get $3500 off a spanking new, better-mileaged SUV.