• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I might say that whatever punishment that particular Alomar is getting vis-a-vis the Hall of Fame MIGHT be about upholding the general principle that players must not spit on umpires. Hirschbeck's forgiveness is a credit to him, but the general principle remains violated.

Alomar didn't pull a Jose Offerman.

Umpires get saliva showers from our most well-respected managers on the regular. If this particular umpire can take the spit to the face and then be willing to swallow his false pride to the point of becoming not only friends but also philanthropists together in a most personal cause, who are any of us to be so incredibly so self-righteous about something as trivial as our emotions?

Fuck emotions.

Fuck perceptions.

Fuck lingering pettiness.

Fuck Roberto Alomar, his arrogance, his lack of respect for a fellow human being, much less an official of the game he and his family made millions playing and fuck him for sucking on my favorite baseball team. He can go take a fucking leap into Lake Fucking Otsego after eating a bowl of candy-coated fuck. Fucker.

who are any of us to be so incredibly so self-righteous about something as trivial as our emotions?

Aren't you are being just as self-righteous? It's called being a fan.

For me, it has to do with more than spitting in an ump's face. The guy showed a general disrespect for the game and the fans. My biased interpretation is that he didn't give a shit about the game, and didn't play hard when he was on the Mets. Spitting in an ump's face doesn't help my impression.

Should stats be the only factor in the HOF? Maybe. We can argue about it. But I don't have a problem with voters looking at other issues too. And that's what is happening here. The guy is going to get in eventually.

I assume you'd vote in McGwire?

Honestly, I don't care if gets into the HOF, just don't expect me to have much sympathy for him. And every time I saw his dad as Mets bench coach, I was like, "Dude raised a kid who didn't play hard for the Mets. How the hell does he expect to get other Mets to play hard?"

The spitting incident may keep Alomar out of the HOF? That is one magic loogie.

"THINK before you hock, kids!"

Aren't you are being just as self-righteous? It's called being a fan.

For me, it has to do with more than spitting in an ump's face. The guy showed a general disrespect for the game and the fans. My biased interpretation is that he didn't give a shit about the game, and didn't play hard when he was on the Mets. Spitting in an ump's face doesn't help my impression.

Should stats be the only factor in the HOF? Maybe. We can argue about it. But I don't have a problem with voters looking at other issues too. And that's what is happening here. The guy is going to get in eventually.

I assume you'd vote in McGwire?

No, I don't think I'm being self righteous. I'm simply not being emotional about something I wasn't a party to. It happenened. It was awful. They not only made up, they bacame friends and associates in a charity that is intended to pevent more deaths like the one Hirshbeck's child died from. I'd call that rising above any game and certainly emotions from over a decade ago. For the record Alomar was alredy punished by the league at the time, a public apology was made and the two shook hands in a game at home plate. Roberto Alomar is no where near my favorite player, but really folks, get over on your own behalf, not mine, nor Hirshbeck's, nor the game's. The latter two already have.

Willie Mays fell down all over Shea's outfield because he got old. Alomar sucked with the Mets because he was getting old and blind and fast. He is not the sole blame for the Mets demise during his time, just as Tom Glavine isn't the reason they blew the '07 season; nor is Beltran to blame for not getting the Mets to the WS in '06. It's easy to point in one direction. Bill Buckner may not have caught a certain ground ball in 1986, but just ask Bob Stanley and Rich Gedman who else fucked up.

Alomar had not only HOF stats, he helped the Jays earn 2 rings when he was in his prime. All his teammates credit him as the driving force of their championship runs. Cleveland & Baltimore were contenders when the had him. It is possible Cleveland could see what was happening to his skills and cut bait at the right time.

I still don't know about McGwire. He's got the HR, RBI, walks, some trophies and a ring, but I have no idea just how much PEDs played a part in his career. Does McGwire have anything to do with Roberto Alomar, other than the negative light that the press and fans like to depict them into. I'd say McGwire is irrelevant to the conversation.

No, I don't think I'm being self righteous. I'm simply not being emotional about something I wasn't a party to. It happenened. It was awful. They not only made up, they bacame friends and associates in a charity that is intended to pevent more deaths like the one Hirshbeck's child died from. I'd call that rising above any game and certainly emotions from over a decade ago. For the record Alomar was alredy punished by the league at the time, a public apology was made and the two shook hands in a game at home plate. Roberto Alomar is no where near my favorite player, but really folks, get over on your own behalf, not mine, nor Hirshbeck's, nor the game's. The latter two already have.

Willie Mays fell down all over Shea's outfield because he got old. Alomar sucked with the Mets because he was getting old and blind and fast. He is not the sole blame for the Mets demise during his time, just as Tom Glavine isn't the reason they blew the '07 season; nor is Beltran to blame for not getting the Mets to the WS in '06. It's easy to point in one direction. Bill Buckner may not have caught a certain ground ball in 1986, but just ask Bob Stanley and Rich Gedman who else fucked up.

Alomar had not only HOF stats, he helped the Jays earn 2 rings when he was in his prime. All his teammates credit him as the driving force of their championship runs. Cleveland & Baltimore were contenders when the had him. It is possible Cleveland could see what was happening to his skills and cut bait at the right time.

I still don't know about McGwire. He's got the HR, RBI, walks, some trophies and a ring, but I have no idea just how much PEDs played a part in his career. Does McGwire have anything to do with Roberto Alomar, other than the negative light that the press and fans like to depict them into. I'd say McGwire is irrelevant to the conversation.

Dude, you are being self-righteous and emotional about insisting that Alomar should get in! (And in telling me not to be self-righteous and emotional about telling Alomar to go fuck himself). As others have said (me included), he will get in.

If Alomar didn't get in, and by such a small margin, I'd say it's the off the field stuff that kept him out. Just like McGwire. That's all I meant by the analogy.

Either way, I don't really care enough to let this linger. Let's move on. :cheers

What I can't get over is the MLB Network & ESPN listing the Opening Day Red Sox vs. Yankees game on the crawl screen every day since last month.

3 f^&cking months away!

The whole network is about baseball....

I'm not taking a side on Alomar and I'll probably get dumped on with "Ty Cobbs" but "Voting will continue to be based upon the individual's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contribution to the game of Baseball." Take it for what you will but it wasn't designed to be all stat-based, regardless if other malcontents have gotten in.

What I can't get over is the MLB Network & ESPN listing the Opening Day Red Sox vs. Yankees game on the crawl screen every day since last month.

3 f^&cking months away!

The whole network is about baseball....

OK. Then I guess my issue is with ESPN. Am I the only one who feels like they don't see anything similar about the NFL Super Bowl or the NBA or NHL All Star Games on the crawl screen?

Maybe my eyes get glued to the crawl when it says MLB and I expect to see something about a trade.

Anyways, it's really no big deal just an observation that I've made every day since December. :thumbup

As long as Ty Cobb continues to have stabbed a black dude and beat up another dude in the stands who was in a wheelchair, I will continue to scoff at the character clause.

Different era different voters, etc. Not an excuse just an observation.

Hey, how's married life been going?

Hey, how's married life been going?

Everyone asks me that same question, and I only have one answer. Exactly the same and completely different at the same time. But, failing to explain what that means, I usually just go with "Great."

Everyone asks me that same question, and I only have one answer. Exactly the same and completely different at the same time. But, failing to explain what that means, I usually just go with "Great."

Yeah, pretty tired question. Glad you're happy, regardless. Cheers.

3 f^&cking months away!

I don't mind so much now because that is the same night Wilco is playing in Providence. I'll just have to record the game I guess. :cheers