• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeebus - is his walk-up music "Baby's Got Back"?

This is a strange world we live in these days.

This offseason has seen the Red Sox give a 31 year old starting pitching who hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2007 and has a career 3.81 ERA a 5 year 82.5 million dollar deal that will pay him 21.5 million next season including his 3 million dollar signing bonus. They also gave a 37 year old center fielder a 2 year 15 million dollar deal even though they already have a CFer and his bat doesn't really play as well in the corner. They also had a player fail to notify them of an injury that nixed a pretty important trade for them.

In the other corner, the Yankees gave up practically nothing of value for the rights to have Curtis Granderson's peak years for 4 year at 39 million, pretty much a steal. They also signed Nick Johnson for 5.5 million for one year, another steal. They then trade a whole bunch of not much for a pretty good starter in Javier Vazquez (though I have my doubts about his abilities to be succesful there given his flyball rates).

Did Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman trade places? Why the hell are the Red Sox overpaying for starting pitching and veterans they don't really need while the Yankees are making smart buy low deals and trading excess stuff for an in his prime borderline star?

The Yankees look pretty unstoppable right now. It's kind of scary now that they are spending their money wisely (they are over 200 million for 2009's payroll, but they don't really have anyone that is useless like in year's past.)

This is a strange world we live in these days.

This offseason has seen the Red Sox give a 31 year old starting pitching who hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2007 and has a career 3.81 ERA a 5 year 82.5 million dollar deal that will pay him 21.5 million next season including his 3 million dollar signing bonus. They also gave a 37 year old center fielder a 2 year 15 million dollar deal even though they already have a CFer and his bat doesn't really play as well in the corner. They also had a player fail to notify them of an injury that nixed a pretty important trade for them.

In the other corner, the Yankees gave up practically nothing of value for the rights to have Curtis Granderson's peak years for 4 year at 39 million, pretty much a steal. They also signed Nick Johnson for 5.5 million for one year, another steal. They then trade a whole bunch of not much for a pretty good starter in Javier Vazquez (though I have my doubts about his abilities to be succesful there given his flyball rates).

Did Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman trade places? Why the hell are the Red Sox overpaying for starting pitching and veterans they don't really need while the Yankees are making smart buy low deals and trading excess stuff for an in his prime borderline star?

The Yankees look pretty unstoppable right now. It's kind of scary now that they are spending their money wisely (they are over 200 million for 2009's payroll, but they don't really have anyone that is useless like in year's past.)

Can you please call 617-779-0850 between 2-6PM some weekday and try this out?

Nothing has made sense this Hot Stove season. Perhaps this is the Bizzaro Hot Stove; but then again, wait a year. The collective bargaining agreement will be up after the 2011 season. Unless an agreement is reached :rotfl , I can imagine the owners speaking of using caution in long-term contract negotiations before the 2011 season, which will make the players so very happy.

"Interestingly, Yankees' GM Brian Cashman noted today that the club tried to acquire Javier Vazquez from Arizona after 2005 and the White Sox after 2008, “but we just didn’t match up," reports Chad Jennings of The Journal News."

Cashman by Cashman

I remember the Yanks not wanting to give him up in the Randy Johnson trade, but he was the only way the Bombers would have been able to land The Big Unit. As the #4 starter Vazquez doesn't have the same pressure this time, plus he is more experienced now. Great Theo Epstein-from-five-years-ago-style trade by Cashman.

I still have faith in Theo despite signing Mike Cameron. Obviously a 2 year rental until one of those big OF prospects come up (Ryan Westmoreland), but I would have preferred Bay or Holliday. Bay's agent really priced him out of any great team. If he ends up on the Mets that will be a shame.

I do see the Red Sox getting Adrian Gonzalez at some point before Opening Day.

From The High Heat "As the #4 starter Vazquez doesn't have the same pressure this time, plus he is more experienced now. Great Theo Epstein-from-five-years-ago-style trade by Cashman."

I don't know. You could argue that it was due to being in the NL. (Edit: I also see the Braves shipping out Derek Lowe to the Angels at some point. Not sure who is left in their rotation?)

Re: Cashman's Theo-esque deal: There's no way Theo can get Adrian without giving up a lot. I don't see them sending Casey Kotchmann or someone like that plus a Manny Delcarmen. But I did see them sending catcher Max Ramirez if the Mike Lowell trade went through.(Edit: Noticed how the Padres just picked up a little known catcher after the Lowell deal went through. Dusty Ryan) Varitek's basically hanging around playing kissy face with Heidi Watney. :worship I'm a jealous bastard if it is indeed true.

(Edit: Also, around New England the big news during the Winter Meetings was that Casey Kelly decided to be a pitcher instead of a short stop. It seemed like a red flag that Clay Buchholz was on his way off to sunny San Diego.)

As much as I praised the Yanks there, I don't think Vazquez is gonna be good for them. He'll be above average, but he gives up too many flyballs (and, subsequently, homers) to play there and have much success.

Do they like John Lackey?

I always never cared for him when the Angels used to play the Red Sox in what seemed like every ALDS since 2004.

I secretly looked for Chunk in the dugout between innings to see if he was feeding Sloth/Lackey Baby Ruths.

Now that he's playing for my team I'm happy, since it obviously strengthens our rotation. Not a bad #3 or 4 guy to have.

I always never cared for him when the Angels used to play the Red Sox in what seemed like every ALDS since 2004.

I secretly looked for Chunk in the dugout between innings to see if he was feeding Sloth/Lackey Baby Ruths.

Now that he's playing for my time I'm happy, since it obviously strengthens our rotation. Not a bad #3 or 4 guy to have.

You don't pay a 3-4 starter 16.5 million a year for his age 31-35 years.

I don't get why that deal is being universally praised.

but then again, I look at things from a small market perspective where every dollar matters, and that's not the way big market teams work...

You don't pay a 3-4 starter 16.5 million a year for his age 31-35 years.

I don't get why that deal is being universally praised.

but then again, I look at things from a small market perspective where every dollar matters, and that's not the way big market teams work...

I'll agree that that money could have been spent on Bay or Holliday like I posted above, which I would have loved. But the Sox big wigs wanted to strengthen the rotation and rectify last year's signings of John Smoltz and Brad Penny. Compared to what is out there he seems above the rest, of course pricey.

Jon Garland? Jason Marquis? Doug Davis? Not bad.

Maybe he'll be the #2 guy, but I can't see Lester being moved down. Although, in the end Francona usually has a strange rotation.

Edit: I just saw the small market financial notice. Yeah, it's just a big market team flexing their wallets while fans pay big bucks. But I do love the fact that someone like Zach Greinke comes along from a place like Kansas City and blew everyone away and won the Cy Young. That was a great middle finger to big market teams.

I do think at this point Lester's the best pitcher on that staff, though I don't think many agree with me. I know Gammons agrees with me because I'm pretty sure he's said he thinks he's the best pitcher in baseball.

I do think at this point Lester's the best pitcher on that staff, though I don't think many agree with me. I know Gammons agrees with me because I'm pretty sure he's said he thinks he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Currently he is in my opinion too. Beckett had a great 2009 compared to 2008. Plus, it's his contract year coming up. Daisuke is really working out to make up for last year's fiasco. If he returns to 07 form, then watch out. Lackey should have less pressure now that's he not the ace. Buchholz if he's around should have a great year. He pitched very well against the Angels in Game 3 of the ALDS.

Basically, any of those 4 guys can be an ace anywhere.

Best rotation in baseball. If you take out Clay to trade for Adrian and insert Wakefield not so much.

(Edit: Oh yeah! I'm so glad that we never traded Lester for Johan Santana. Talk about one of the best trades never done.