I think Lackey's #2 in front of Beckett at this point, but Daisuke will be a strong contender for the Cy Yizung.

And bobbob, I'd just love to hear the Big Show guys' reactions to everything you said - it would be entertaining to say the least, because I listen (way too much) to them, and haven't heard anything close to what you said up there. Their heads would probably explode.

Daisuke will be a strong contender for the Cy Yizung.

:omg

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently he is in my opinion too. Beckett had a great 2009 compared to 2008. Plus, it's his contract year coming up. Daisuke is really working out to make up for last year's fiasco. If he returns to 07 form, then watch out. Lackey should have less pressure now that's he not the ace. Buchholz if he's around should have a great year. He pitched very well against the Angels in Game 3 of the ALDS.

Basically, any of those 4 guys can be an ace anywhere.

Best rotation in baseball. If you take out Clay to trade for Adrian and insert Wakefield not so much.

(Edit: Oh yeah! I'm so glad that we never traded Lester for Johan Santana. Talk about one of the best trades never done.

It might end up being the best rotation in baseball, because it's fairly deep, but I wouldn't say all 4 of them are aces. I mean, Beckett and Lackey are bother 3.8 career ERA guys, and they both only have a couple of seasons under that. Dice K is very "meh". I think we all got suckered on that one. And Buchholz still has the potential, but he's never put it together.

Of course, Beckett, Lackey, Dice-K and Buccholz are all not good bets to get to 200 innings, so you're going to be relying on the Michael Bowden's and Tim Wakefield's of the world for a decent amount of innings, so who knows. It could end up being worse than people think. Pitching is pretty volatile.

Buccholz I think might end up being the best pitcher out of the 4 next season. His minor league numbers indicate that eventually he's gotta figure it out, though what's worrisome is how much his walk and home run rates have gone up in the majors and that his minor league strike out numbers haven't translated.

For what it's worth, the CHONE projection system (one that is pretty well known for being as accurate as any of them) has them like this:

Lester 181 IP, 3.63 ERA

Beckett 187 IP, 3.85 ERA

Lackey 185 IP, 4.04 ERA

Buchholz 150 IP, 4.32 ERA

Dice-K 137 IP, 4.40 ERA

They do see Ortiz having a bit of a bounce back year, getting back to 30 homers. But they are not high on Mike Cameron, for what it's worth.

And bobbob, I'd just love to hear the Big Show guys' reactions to everything you said - it would be entertaining to say the least, because I listen (way too much) to them, and haven't heard anything close to what you said up there. Their heads would probably explode.

I mean, I know I hate the Red Sox and all, but I don't think it's an unfair assessment of the offseason. The Yankees have made a slew of moves that are shrewd, something they never did before last year. It's weird, but it feels like the Red Sox are desperate, despite clearly being the better run franchise over the last decade. One year has them freaking out.

i love baseball but it is becoming boring with most people bickering about Boston and New York. its tiresome.

The only thing more boring is people complaining about it. Talk about what teams you want to - no one's stopping ye.

Matt Capps, Eddie Guardado, Brian Burney, Jason Marquis, Pudge. That's a lot of moves.

Didn't realize they made so many moves, but man, they could use a big name. They could really use a Holliday signing.

Since someone said something about there not being enough jibber jabber about the Red Sox and Yankees, how strange are these developments? :ninja

"The Jason Bay to Boston rumors aren't exactly gaining momentum. An ESPNBoston.com article classifies the chances of a Bay return as a "long shot," while SI.com's Jon Heyman tweets that the Red Sox would probably only consider Bay for less ("maybe much less") than the Mets' best offer. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston adds (via Twitter) that Mike Cameron's agent hasn't heard anything about the Sox pursuing another left fielder.

8:36am: In yesterday's round of Jason Bay rumblings, we heard that there could potentially be a renewed mutual interest between Bay and the Boston Red Sox. Today, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that the pairing would not be inconceivable, but that there are a couple of roadblocks: The Red Sox would have to extend their budget, after committing $15.5MM to Mike Cameron, and a potential contract would probably need to be heavily backloaded.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney agrees with that assessment, since a source tells him that the Red Sox have less than $5MM left in spending money. He writes that signing Bay would mean the Sox either blowing up their budget or having to move a contract or two.

As for the Mets' four-year offer that's still on the table, Olney says that the Mets are feeling more and more like Bay doesn't want to play for them, and are making alternative plans. Newsday's Ken Davidoff thinks it wouldn't be the end of the world if the Mets refused to increase their offer to Bay and he ended up elsewhere."

Hmm (scratches chin). Well, if they do resign Bay at this point anyone can be gone to get Adrian Gonzalez which is I think Theo's prized possession before Opening Day. Did Boston really spend $15.5 million on a 4th OF or intend to have him play CF all along? What about Jeremy Hermida? Will he be moved instead of Ellsbury? I remember reading about San Diego being interested in Mike Cameron before he was snapped up. I don't know?! Plus, the idea that Bay or Holliday can be snapped up by the Yankees drives Theo berzerko. :realmad

(Edit: Ok, a list of who I think can/will be traded. Of course not everyone will be. Maybe 1 OF, 1B, and 1P.

The Expendables:

OF Jeremy Hermida, OF Jacoby Ellsbury, OF Mike Cameron, 1B Casey Kotchmann, P Michael Bowden, P Clay Buchholz, & P Casey Kelly (I think he's "untouchable" but Jed Hoyer knows he's "the chosen one".)

As for Mike Lowell, I hate to say it but I think Sean Penn will take him out to Mystic River and shoot him and dispose of him. Talk about skimming the books. :punch

If Hermida had any trade value, the Red Sox wouldn't have gotten him for the shit they did. I think he's still got an option left, so they'd be better off stashing him in AAA.

I agree. We'll soon find out soon enough how it all pans out.

I think they'll strand 40 players on an island and have them fight until there's 4 OF, 4IF, & enough guys left in the bullpen.

It worked for Stone Cold Steve Austin in The Condemned.

springmovies07_condemned.hmedium.jpg

If they get Adrian Gonzalez, all bets are off. Dude has such legit power, it's ridiculous.

The stats guy on the Marlins blog I run (but have been slacking on) did a bit of research and found that Marlins prospect Mike Stanton (the guy the Sox wanted for Manny in 08) finished second in all of baseball at all levels last season in park adjusted HR/FB% (That is, the percentage of balls he hit in the air that would have gone out playing in a home run neutral environment. It's a really good indicator of "true" home run power). Gonzalez finished first. And he'd be moving to a pretty good park for home runs.

I would expect something like .290/.440/.600 out of him with like 55 homers. Basically, he'd be mini-Pujols.

If they get Adrian Gonzalez, all bets are off. Dude has such legit power, it's ridiculous.

The stats guy on the Marlins blog I run (but have been slacking on) did a bit of research and found that Marlins prospect Mike Stanton (the guy the Sox wanted for Manny in 08) finished second in all of baseball at all levels last season in park adjusted HR/FB% (That is, the percentage of balls he hit in the air that would have gone out playing in a home run neutral environment. It's a really good indicator of "true" home run power). Gonzalez finished first. And he'd be moving to a pretty good park for home runs.

I would expect something like .290/.440/.600 out of him with like 55 homers. Basically, he'd be mini-Pujols.

:thumbup :stunned

On behalf of Red Sox Nation, thanks for Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell and Jeremy Hermida ( :ninja )

Yeah, I think that's why Bay is skeptical about signing with the Mets. That's a pretty big park, Citi Field.

Yes, I think Theo would be willing to move any chess pieces to get Adrian. It would pay off like you mentioned.

Y'know, Bay, Beltran and Francoeur is not a bad outfield.

Y'know, Bay, Beltran and Francoeur is not a bad outfield.

WFAN radio station in New York is reporting that outfielder Jason Bay will sign with the Mets and that the team will announce it early next week.

WFAN afternoon host Mike Francesa says the deal is pending a physical.

Bay, who spent the last season and a half with the Red Sox, was considered one of the prizes of this year's free agent market. He batted .267 last season with 36 home runs and 119 RBI.

The New York Post's Joel Sherman says the deal is for 4 years and $66 million.

Bay had previously turned down a 4-year, $60 million offer to remain in Boston.

One of the strangest offseason moves I can remember.

Bay gets a nice offer from both the Mets and Red Sox and declines both.

Then news comes out last week that he wants to sign with the Sox.

Reports say that he is "lukewarm" on signing with the Mets.

Then he ends up signing with the Mets. :stunned Edit: So much for wanting to play close to home. :P

I think he wanted to sign and stay with the Sox, but Bozo Bore Ass fucked it up for him.

Then no one really was interested in him really. Thus sparking that old flame for Boston "take me back."

$6 million more than the Sox offered him, but for a 4th place team. I have nothing against the Mets, but I'd hate to be a fan because it's been a pretty disappointing decade for them.

Will that other New York team sweep in and take Matt Holliday off the rack? We'll soon find out.

Edit: It's also interesting to note that the Red Sox also made a nice offer to Matt Holliday ($16.5 for 5 years) during the Winter Meetings. It wasn't reported until after. I'm not sure which offer came first.

I'm not one of those Red Sox fans who expect every player to come and play here on the drop of a dime or million. :shifty

But I really have to wonder if Matt can do better (in terms of money and a great team) in this wintry economic climate.