I doubt a hitting coach could charge anyone but the very highest-paid players anywhere near $100,000 per year.

The major league minimum salary is $400,000. Lots of guys still make well under $1M per year.

Yeah. It was basically a random number. Perhaps a percentage of a player's salary would be a more fair way to charge. Still, this contract and pay for Jaramillo is unusual. Most coaches do not make this kind of coin. Working independently would probably more lucrative and secure than working for a team year to year, hoping the management doesn't change. Plus they could have home-based work, see the family more.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt a hitting coach could charge anyone but the very highest-paid players anywhere near $100,000 per year.

The major league minimum salary is $400,000. Lots of guys still make well under $1M per year.

Those stiffs aren't hiring any personal hitting coaches, though.

I like that as soon as the Yankees lost like five people on my facebook went "Lol it's 2004 all over again yankees fans!"

That's why nobody can be a villain like the Yankees.

I agree. So why root for them? Were you rooting for the Emperor to kill Luke and Darth Vader with his electrical shocks in Return of the Jedi?

the Yankees are like a high School Quarterback. Supremely cocky, with the hot cheerleader on his arm. This dude has everything, and throws his money around to get everything he wants. Though he is good at what he does. Now the rest of us see this and resent him for it. That is why the Yanks are villain. The majority of fans in baseball hate the fact they have success and they way they get success.

I don't think there is an equivalent in any other sport. I guess the best nominees would be:

NFL - Dallas Cowboys (outside of the NFC East, is the hatred as galvanized?)

NBA - Los Angeles Lakers (tend to be successful every year)

NHL - Detroit Red Wings (basing this on success, otherwise I have no idea)

NCAA - Notre Dame Fighting Irish (independent, their own TV contract, BCS advantages just for them, etc.)

Here's something I've long wondered. I'm a Red Sox fan. Why is it I root against the team that represents the division the Red Sox are in?

Same question for, say, a Mets fan rooting against the Phillies.

Ideally, aren't teams battling to represent their division in the postseason, and if a fan's team doesn't make it, the team that is from that team's division should have rooting rights carried over to them? Shouldn't it be an "our division is the best" type of mentality?

Know what I'm sayin'?

For the record: fuck the Yankees.

Here's something I've long wondered. I'm a Red Sox fan. Why is it I root against the team that represents the division the Red Sox are in?

Same question for, say, a Mets fan rooting against the Phillies.

Ideally, aren't teams battling to represent their division in the postseason, and if a fan's team doesn't make it, the team that is from that team's division should have rooting rights carried over to them? Shouldn't it be a "our division is the best" type of mentality?

Know what I'm sayin'?

For the record: fuck the Yankees.

I don't think they are "representing" anything other than themselves, though. For instance, I would never root for Oklahoma in any kind of championship just because they are from the Big 12 South.

There is too much hatred built up over the course of a bitter rivalry to change anything. That being said, I would root for any other team out of the Big 12 South, but the heated rivalry trumps any regional satisfaction.

If everything played out as Yankee-haters argue it does, the Yankees should win the World Series every year. They haven't won it since 2000. When the Yankees make the right choices with their resources, their resources are such that they are hard to beat. When they make the wrong choices, they lose, and it is embarrassing for them and their arrogant legions of fans. (Not all Yankees fans are assholes, but they seem to have a very high percentage of assholes in their fan base, higher than most other teams, it would appear. Something about raving insecurity needing to identify with a perceived-to-be-all-powerful entity.)

If everything played out as Yankee-haters argue it does, the Yankees should win the World Series every year. They haven't won it since 2000. When the Yankees make the right choices with their resources, their resources are such that they are hard to beat. When they make the wrong choices, they lose, and it is embarrassing for them and their arrogant legions of fans. (Not all Yankees fans are assholes, but they seem to have a very high percentage of assholes in their fan base, higher than most other teams, it would appear. Something about raving insecurity needing to identify with a perceived-to-be-all-powerful entity.)

This might not be true for all Mets fans, but the ones who live in South Florida are amongst the most arrogant, stupid, and obnoxious people I've ever encountered. Same with the Jets. They tend to be the same people, and they are worse than any Yankees fans I've encountered.

At one Marlins-Mets game I counted the guy behind me bitch about people getting out of their seats over 50 times. He was the most obnoxious person I've ever seen at a game. At least it gave me and my friends something to laugh at. "This would never happen at Shea!"

the Yankees are like a high School Quarterback. Supremely cocky, with the hot cheerleader on his arm. This dude has everything, and throws his money around to get everything he wants. Though he is good at what he does. Now the rest of us see this and resent him for it don't give a shit and figure out a way to fingerbang Mary Jane Rottencrotch while the QB is busy on the field.

Fixed it for you.

The Cubs have hired the game's premier hitting instructor in Rudy Jaramillo and gave him a three year, $2.4M contract. The Rangers only offered him a one year deal after 15 years of excellence.

I've always wondered why guys like this (Mazzone, Duncan, Kerrigan, etc.) don't act as consultants to individual players. They could make a fortune charging players $100,000 a year or more acting as personal instructors for 20-25 guys.

Oh please...Rudy's players are noted for their lack of discipline at the plate. Every batter up at the plate is looking to hit a 5 run homer.

More than likely the MFYs will win at least once in the next four years. The Steinbrenner curse. Since he was convicted of illegal donations to Richard Nixon in the early 70's the MFYs only win the World Series when a Democrat is in the White House. Check the years they won and you will see it is true.

This might not be true for all Mets fans, but the ones who live in South Florida are amongst the most arrogant, stupid, and obnoxious people I've ever encountered. Same with the Jets. They tend to be the same people, and they are worse than any Yankees fans I've encountered.

At one Marlins-Mets game I counted the guy behind me bitch about people getting out of their seats over 50 times. He was the most obnoxious person I've ever seen at a game. At least it gave me and my friends something to laugh at. "This would never happen at Shea!"

That's because most of their fans are from long island.

I've found that this is generally true of transplanted fans of any team. They ramp up the obnoxiousness to counter their minority status.

Now, that is odd, because all of the Mets fans I know around here are perfect models of etiquette - suave, sophisticated, knowledgeable and considerate.

That's because most of their fans are from long island.

Ah, there's that.

That's impossible.

Are you being obtuse?

OF COURSE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. (IT's shorthand...Every batter is looking to go yard every time, every situation, overswinging, etc.) The Rangers havebeen a team the always sinks to the occassion, scoring a lot of runs when it doesn't matter. And it happened on Rudy's watch. He's been the one consant on the team over several managerial regimes.

Are you being obtuse?

OF COURSE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. (IT's shorthand...Every batter is looking to go yard every time, every situation, overswinging, etc.) The Rangers havebeen a team the always sinks to the occassion, scoring a lot of runs when it doesn't matter. And it happened on Rudy's watch. He's been the one consant on the team over several managerial regimes.

Rudy can only work with what he's given. The Rangers have a long history of drafting, signing and trading for impatient hitters. He has helped several players improve their production within their own style: DeRosa, Matthews, Byrd and hell, even Sammy knocked in 90 under him when he hadn't done it in three years. Until Andruw got hurt again this year he was improving, slugging over .500 and walking at a rate higher than his career average. His swing had become the laughing-stock of all baseball until Rudy made him work. His discipline is working to maximizing what you can do. Unfortunately he's never really had anybody who knows how to work a count.

I've found that this is generally true of transplanted fans of any team. They ramp up the obnoxiousness to counter their minority status.

I believe this. Also though - can someone tell Red Sox fans from Boston that they're from Boston, and as such don't have to ramp up the obnoxiousness?

Can't believe this game's rained out. Muhfuca.

The Cardinals have given Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan new contracts and his new hitting coach will be Mark McGwire.

That really, really shy guy who used to hit for the team? Very quiet, that one.