• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a stat before the Sox-Angels series began, and though I'm not superstitious, it didn't exactly help foster any more confidence in a Sox team that already seemed ill-equipped for the postseason: the Red Sox 2008 regular season record is 95-67, the same record they finished with in 2003, 2005, and 2008.

The Rod is looking less flaccid so far this postseason.

A-Rod, through 42 postseason games: .291, 25 RBIs, 9 HRs, 46 hits, 158 at-bats

"Mr. October" Reggie Jackson, through his first 42 post-season games: .265, 19 RBIs, 7 HRs, 40 hits, 151 at-bats

A-Rod, through 42 postseason games: .291, 25 RBIs, 9 HRs, 46 hits, 158 at-bats

"Mr. October" Reggie Jackson, through his first 42 post-season games: .265, 19 RBIs, 7 HRs, 40 hits, 151 at-bats

Shut up with your fact based "stats" that don't match up to perception!

Alex should have gotten a candy bar by now.

Man, rough ending for Colorado.

I don't see how one could cheer for A-Rod with sincerity and enthusiasm. A-Rod hits a home run and you see 50k+ people degrade themselves by jumping up and down with joy on television. It's jarring. I don't get it.

As a Mets fan, I don't share their enthusiasm, but here in New York, there are a LOT of Yankees fans. I mean, they're EVERYWHERE. Alex is a Yankee. He is leading his team on what appears to be an unstoppable drive toward Series title 27. Does that clear it up for you?

this is a guy who has not been Mr. clutch in the playoffs, and he's finally shrugging off that horrible curse. Good for him. Still hate the Yankees though and I hope that the Angels pull it out of their butts soon and start playing better.

I don't see how one could cheer for A-Rod with sincerity and enthusiasm. A-Rod hits a home run and you see 50k+ people degrade themselves by jumping up and down with joy on television. It's jarring. I don't get it.

Can you elaborate? I am confused as to why a team's fans would be considered to be "degrad(ing) themselves" by celebrating the efforts of a player on their chosen team. I don't get it.

EDIT: But, please do not bother answering if your answer is stupid. Thanks.

Can you elaborate? I am confused as to why a team's fans would be considered to be "degrad(ing) themselves" by celebrating the efforts of a player on their chosen team. I don't get it.

Because Kevan has never cheered for a player who has used steroids or a team that has had a steroid user on that team.

I mean, really, Alex is just another vain neurotic weirdo in a city replete with them.

Well, generally, my post was equal parts sincerity and attempt to raz Yankee fans. Maybe it came across overly-aggressive, if so my apologies.

However, regarding my assessment, I stick to it, even though I meant it to be taken tongue-in-cheek. A-Rod is a disgrace and a pariah. I cannot understand how someone could cheer for that guy with such pure, innocent-seeming joy. I can see begrudging appreciation because he helped the team you love. But the over-the-top-embracing-with-arms-wide-open thing you see in the crowd comes off just as phony as A-Rods always been; or at least it does to me. It grosses me out.

For my part, and I don't mean to be holier-than-thou, but I refuse to cheer with true joy for anyone, my team or otherwise, who has a serisouly checkered past/present. I'm a Viking fan but my relationship with the team is very love-hate and always in danger of fading because they tend to field teams full of thugs more often than other teams. That kills me. The Moss/Culpepper era was painful for me; those guys were jerks/punks/thugs and I couldn't cheer for them. I loathed the most talented Gopher hockey player of the last 5 years (or one of them) because he was a nototiously selfish, arrogant and petulant prick.

Whatever, thats just the way I'm built and I truly don't think these opinions make me a better fan than anyone else. At the same time I cannot understand the other side, hence the original post.

Again, apologies for unintended ruffled feathers. :D