What comes next for Wilco? (during the period between records)

There is of course always this period between records, and we have seen a few things happen during these times (Kicking Television, Ashes Of American Flags, etc.) I was wondering what you all thought might happen... I, for one, would love an official release of some of the new songs live...that doesn't seem too out of this world

There is of course always this period between records, and we have seen a few things happen during these times (Kicking Television, Ashes Of American Flags, etc.) I was wondering what you all thought might happen... I, for one, would love an official release of some of the new songs live...that doesn't seem too out of this world

I think an official live release right now is very out of this world, actually. Considering they just released Ashes, and they're still playing very similar setlists, the logic in releasing another live DVD is flawed, especially since the band knows how easily obtainable their show recordings are. If you want live versions of the new songs, they're out there.

I would love a new Loose Fur record...

I think an official live release right now is very out of this world, actually. Considering they just released Ashes, and they're still playing very similar setlists, the logic in releasing another live DVD is flawed, especially since the band knows how easily obtainable their show recordings are. If you want live versions of the new songs, they're out there.

I would love a new Loose Fur record...

I don't mean like a live album or downloadable tracks from a DVD... I mean like a bonus EP or something with a few live songs, as they did with AGIB and SBS

Also, what are the odds of a new Loose Fur record... I mean Jim O'Rourke is coming out with a new record, so he is not off the map by any means

I said this before, and I'll say it again. I would pay through the nose for a Tweedy solo record. Will it ever happen, yes. Will it happen anytime soon, probably not. I would love a 8-10 song album with folkish, sing a long tunes. Obviously there would be appearances by the rest of the band.

I said this before, and I'll say it again. I would pay through the nose for a Tweedy solo record. Will it ever happen, yes. Will it happen anytime soon, probably not. I would love a 8-10 song album with folkish, sing a long tunes. Obviously there would be appearances by the rest of the band.

"The Pencil"

it must be called that....

I don't know how likely this is. It just seems unlikely at this point that Jeff will find himself with songs that he doesn't want the band to play with.

Some day, I hope he does release a very stripped down album. WTA is a pretty stripped album in the grand scheme of things, but I think an album of Jeff and a guitar would be pretty amazing.

I don't know how likely this is. It just seems unlikely at this point that Jeff will find himself with songs that he doesn't want the band to play with.

Some day, I hope he does release a very stripped down album. WTA is a pretty stripped album in the grand scheme of things, but I think an album of Jeff and a guitar would be pretty amazing.

My friend and I were talking, and we were thinking this:

An album in which each member of the band writes their own song for the record, depending on their musical style and tastes and primary instruments. (Jeff would sing of course.) There would be at least six of these songs unique to the individual band members. I think this would be cool, especially considering the collaboration that they enjoyed so much in New Zealand. I picture Nels writing an avant garde guitar song, with playing that reflects his personal tastes...and so on... just a thought.

An album in which each member of the band writes their own song for the record, depending on their musical style and tastes and primary instruments. (Jeff would sing of course.) There would be at least six of these songs unique to the individual band members. I think this would be cool, especially considering the collaboration that they enjoyed so much in New Zealand. I picture Nels writing an avant garde guitar song, with playing that reflects his personal tastes...and so on... just a thought.

I feel like that already happens. The other guys don't write lyrics, but they add instrumental parts based on their preferred sounds, and shit like that. And considering everyone in the band has non-Wilco projects going on too, it's not necessary for them all to contribute their own individual songs to a Wilco album.

I feel like that already happens. The other guys don't write lyrics, but they add instrumental parts based on their preferred sounds, and shit like that. And considering everyone in the band has non-Wilco projects going on too, it's not necessary for them all to contribute their own individual songs to a Wilco album.

Not necessary of course, but it would be a cool musical experiment.. I mean i'm sure a ton of that goes on in the loft and in private.. but a record like that would be pretty cool. I know they do similar things already, but I am talking each individual writing their own song and then bringing it to the others... I don't know, sometimes I wish I could play more instruments than I can hahahaha

I think KISS did this or something similar.

I think KISS did this or something similar.

Dude! You just beat me to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stanley_%28album%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Simmons_%28album%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Frehley_%28album%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Criss_%28album%29

All released on the same day, September 18, 1978.

From Allmusic.com

At the peak of their popularity in 1978, Kiss decided to maximize their sales potential and exploit their loyal audience by having each member release a solo record on the same day. Instead of sending sales through the roof, it had the unexpected effect of stopping their momentum cold. It wasn't because the market was flooded with Kiss product -- although it certainly was, since they released nine albums, including two double-live records and a compilation, in the course of four years -- it was because the albums were, for the most part, terrible.

a new Loose Fur LP.

That being said, I think it's ways off. If it happens at all...

Tweedy says in this month's Uncut interview that he, Jim and Glenn are all still interested in continuing Loose Fur.

Are you familiar with the Creedence Clearwater Revival Album Mardi Gras?

(cryptic reference to a really bad idea that was tried by a Seminal Rock band for different reasons)

Prior to any tour edition EP or any similar stop-gap*, I'm really looking forward to the Beck collaboration on Skip Spence's Oar since:

1. It's 22 songs of new Wilco material
  2. If it's anything like Beck's cover of the VU & Nico, it will feature the band unrehearsed, raw and (in my opinion) potentially exciting in a "without a net" fashion
  3. I don't really have any strong opinions or affinity for the original, so the album will come off as entirely new to me

Looks like we will have to wait three long weeks for this to start trickling out. :hmm

* - And the 7 Worlds Collide album, too, forgot about that.

I'm really looking forward to the Beck collaboration on Skip Spence's Oar... And the 7 Worlds Collide album, too...

I gotta admit that I'm geeky-excited about both of these projects.