How Is Kicking Television holding up?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... Well I wouldn't say the mix is far superior... I agree with some tracks, some sound better than their Kicking Television counterparts, and some songs on Ashes that aren't on KT just sound a little better as far as mixing.

However, try comparing ALTWYS from the two recordings next to eachother... The KT version's mixing of the guitar part sounds clearer, louder, and more sharp. It is much more piercing and raw, and from a non-sound related observation, the performance of the song is also more raw, matching the rawness and piercing nature of the mixing. Some are better on Ashes for sure as far as mixing and performance (Ashes, Wishful Thinking, IATTBYH) Some are just better for their performance, some better for just their mixing. In other words, I don't think that KT or Ashes is totally better than the other

It would be nice to see them release a box set of the residency shows, much like the Dead have done with the Winterland boxed sets.

It would be nice to see them release a box set of the residency shows, much like the Dead have done with the Winterland boxed sets.

Haha that would be cool indeed. What is your imput on KT vs Ashes? I would love to see an official release of something from Wilco (the tour) ... I want some crisp live versions of the new tracks!

Every time I listen to KT, I'm bummed that they didn't go ahead with the video release. The songs just sound so great...how much better if we could see the performers? It may not be the single concert experience some of you crave, but I'd much prefer a live KT video to "Ashes...". More playing and fewer small town homages would have suited me fine.

• 2 years later...

Man, I forgot how much I love KT! I listened to it at the gym this morning after having taken a bit of a break from Wilco. Jeff's vocals are outstanding. I especially love this version of "Hell Is Chrome"

I have owned it since the day of its release, and have never listened to it all the way through. I have listened to it when the tracks come up in shuffle on my Wilco playlist (which has all the releases and b-sides, but only my favorite bootleg audio); every time they do, I think, "Why on EARTH did I put this live track in my playlist?"

So, I guess it doesn't hold up very well for me.

i was wondering where Sex Nap had been.

I think it's a great live album. As would be expected with a productive, forward-leaning band, it has an element of obsolete a few years later.... still enjoyable, but I wonder how a classy live recording with a set featuring the last few albums highlights would sound.

We could play this game every five years.

I'd say the release of the 8 bonus tracks on Record Store Day did nothing but revive interest & deepen an already stellar reputation. I think it's as brilliant, if not the most brilliant, live album ever.

I know when lots of folks were recommending Wilco to me, they'd point to this album as the best starting point.

KT = great versions of ashes, airline and muzzle of bees. Anyone else out there think that the grand opera house show in wilmington was the greastest? I was at that show and listened to the bootleg probably 300+ times not exaggerating. My one friend who I burned it for called it "just perfect". It is.

It's my favorite album ever. It was my introduction to Wilco and can say without exaggeration that I listened to it for at least 2 months straight, exclusively. It has always been my default/go to cd when I just cant pinpoint what I'm in the mood for and it never disappoints. I've stated on this web site that its number one on my "stranded on an island" list and my first cd I burn when introducing people to the band. I bought 2 of the vinyl sets...not to sell one but for a backup incase something gets scratched. So I guess you could say I'm pretty happy with the way its" holding up".

I'm thinking of getting a 4G device if only for streaming wilco from sooutoftune.org and wilcoworld. I spend alot of time in the car so wilco shows on demand would be just awesome. Any thoughts? would it really work if im constantly on the move?