How Is Kicking Television holding up?

KT is great simply for bringing the songs off Ghost is Born to life. I love that album but was never crazy about the way it was mixed in studio. Hell is Chrome for example, is about 100x better on the live CD. Just wish they put Theologians on there too...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KT is great simply for bringing the songs off Ghost is Born to life. I love that album but was never crazy about the way it was mixed in studio. Hell is Chrome for example, is about 100x better on the live CD. Just wish they put Theologians on there too...

Totally agree with all of this. Great version of Hell Is Chrome. Also, I believe that they did release the Theologians as a b side to sumthin.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't think so on Theologians. The extras I saw around were Monday and How to Fight Loneliness.

A live Theologians was released, but not in conjunction with KT. From the B-Sides thread:

* Theologians (5-2005 The Vic, Chicago, IL) - Think Indie “Sky Blue Sky” promo EP

So I've been listening to both KT and Ashes the last few days, and I really think KT is a stronger effort. There are some subtle and not-so-subtle changes in the arrangements of some tunes. And then I remembered that Nels' first solo on "Handshake Drugs" from Ashes is the exact same solo I heard him play at the Red Rocks show back in July. I felt that to be a bit "going through the motions," but nonetheless my face melted.

Speaking of the bonus KT tracks, anyone know how to get a hold of these if you didn't get them when it first came out? I bought the CD at a record store not knowing that extras were available. Would love to hear "How to Fight Loneliness," "Monday," and "Theologians" from that run...

So I've been listening to both KT and Ashes the last few days, and I really think KT is a stronger effort. There are some subtle and not-so-subtle changes in the arrangements of some tunes. And then I remembered that Nels' first solo on "Handshake Drugs" from Ashes is the exact same solo I heard him play at the Red Rocks show back in July. I felt that to be a bit "going through the motions," but nonetheless my face melted.

Speaking of the bonus KT tracks, anyone know how to get a hold of these if you didn't get them when it first came out? I bought the CD at a record store not knowing that extras were available. Would love to hear "How to Fight Loneliness," "Monday," and "Theologians" from that run...

Definitely more raw and spontaneous... ALTWYS is the shining example of this... it even beats the Ashes version. Plus the guitar sounds clearer... Also, Kicking Television and Ashes have different sound, can't tell which is better

Went on a long road trip yesterday (taking Magic Kristen back to school)...decided to load up KT in the rotation.

Downtown (a notorious music newb) said several times "Is this Wilco...They are really good"

However, she also noted that the soloing in Spiders was making her crazy.

Wilco, a band that is accessible with remarkable musicianship and songwriting that can still drive the wife crasy...what more can a fella ask for?

Wilco, a band that is accessible with remarkable musicianship and songwriting that can still drive the wife crasy...what more can a fella ask for?

:lol My wife likes Wilco, but more "California Stars" than "Poor Places." I'm still a little stunned that she really likes "Bull Black Nova."

:lol My wife likes Wilco, but more "California Stars" than "Poor Places." I'm still a little stunned that she really likes "Bull Black Nova."

I turned up the volume on Via Chicago to see if I could get a rise out of her, but She had lost direct interest by then.

I listen to the Ashes of American Flags Audio tracks more than any other recording. It has taken the place of Kicking TV. It's far superior as Nels is full unleashed and the solos are far superior in my opinion. I love the track listing and the more up to date track listing and the mix is ACES. I have been telling people all year these audio tracks are better than any other Wilco release or recording IMO. Outside of the audio tracks from Ashes I listen to Winter Residency Night 1. I don't know if it was because I was there but that night had my favorite set list and the best energy of all the Residency nights. What's the consensus on what the best show was of the Residency from people who attended all 5 nights?

Finally I listen to the new album. So those are my top three in order.

1. Ashes Audio trakcs

2. Winter Residency Night 1

3. Wilco (the album)

Keep in mind I used to listen to Kickin' until the Ashes audio came out and now I don't even bother.

A live Theologians was released, but not in conjunction with KT. From the B-Sides thread:

* Theologians (5-2005 The Vic, Chicago, IL) - Think Indie “Sky Blue Sky” promo EP

Yo go girl :cheers

I listen to the Ashes of American Flags Audio tracks more than any other recording. It has taken the place of Kicking TV. It's far superior as Nels is full unleashed and the solos are far superior in my opinion. I love the track listing and the more up to date track listing and the mix is ACES. I have been telling people all year these audio tracks are better than any other Wilco release or recording IMO. Outside of the audio tracks from Ashes I listen to Winter Residency Night 1. I don't know if it was because I was there but that night had my favorite set list and the best energy of all the Residency nights. What's the consensus on what the best show was of the Residency from people who attended all 5 nights?

Finally I listen to the new album. So those are my top three in order.

1. Ashes Audio trakcs

2. Winter Residency Night 1

3. Wilco (the album)

Keep in mind I used to listen to Kickin' until the Ashes audio came out and now I don't even bother.

Hmmm... Well I wouldn't say the mix is far superior... I agree with some tracks, some sound better than their Kicking Television counterparts, and some songs on Ashes that aren't on KT just sound a little better as far as mixing.

However, try comparing ALTWYS from the two recordings next to eachother... The KT version's mixing of the guitar part sounds clearer, louder, and more sharp. It is much more piercing and raw, and from a non-sound related observation, the performance of the song is also more raw, matching the rawness and piercing nature of the mixing. Some are better on Ashes for sure as far as mixing and performance (Ashes, Wishful Thinking, IATTBYH) Some are just better for their performance, some better for just their mixing. In other words, I don't think that KT or Ashes is totally better than the other

• 1 month later...

What's the consensus on what the best show was of the Residency from people who attended all 5 nights?

I think the best show was Saturday the 16th, but my favorite is Wednesday 20th.

I like KT fine and am glad it was released -- what I get from many casually familiuar Wilco fans is that they LOVE it asa quintessential live album

I suppose it is, I just don't dust it off much

Yeah. I don't play it very often - hell, I have so much live stuff lying around here as it is! But when I do I always go for the Poor Places > Spiders. That combo was, and is, still my favorite thing they do live.

• 2 months later...

First, I think the early incarnation of Wilco Mach 6 tended to overplay on some tracks (I still feel that way about the line-up), and I very rarely prefer Nels soloing where Jeff previously did (Ashes, for instance, I think is an abomination). And by very rarely, I mean never. I love hearing Nels on new tracks, where he plays what he wants to play, but I don't like his interpretation of Jeff's solos, especially on AGIB stuff.

Second, I cannot stand when live albums don't document a full concert. I don't like it when the tracks do not appear in the order they were played, and when the albums are a compilation of several nights. That's just the way it is for me. It's not a document of a studio venture, it's not a document of a concert, it's a compilation of stuff, and I'm not super into compilations.

Third, there's a quality to the performances I just don't like. I don't know if it's because they know they were being taped or what. All of the live tracks I prefer are boots, but all of the live tracks I prefer are also pre-7/2004, save for the 9/2005 versions of Walken.

Speed Racer, I agree with absolutely everything in your post, and it sums up my feelings nicely about KT. I'm glad other people liked it, but it didn't work for me at all. In fact, I can't think of anything to add to your observations.

Can't say I agree.. I love the new lineup and I do like listening to a show, but also I don't mind listening to a collection of outstanding versions of songs being brought to life by a new lineup and fresh ideas... On KT, Wilco is taking recent songs from AGIB and older songs and giving them new life.. it is very meaningful and the songs are fresh and raw.. Since then the band has become comfortable

I don't put it on anymore. No real reason. If I grab something it's always a studio album. Probably has something to do with me wanting to listen to a truly cohesive release more than anything. When I first got KT I loved the shit out of it. Now? Eh, haven't put it on in awhile. Part of it is likely because I've been getting so much new music that it's hard to find time to revisit the stuff I listened to before.

I don't put it on anymore. No real reason. If I grab something it's always a studio album. Probably has something to do with me wanting to listen to a truly cohesive release more than anything. When I first got KT I loved the shit out of it. Now? Eh, haven't put it on in awhile. Part of it is likely because I've been getting so much new music that it's hard to find time to revisit the stuff I listened to before.

Probably has something to do with the availability of so many AUD recordings. I like it, but I like listening to the shows I've been to more.