Ben Gibbard and Jay Farrar

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Farrar: 6 Questions

Best-known for leading the alt-country rock bands Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt, Jay Farrar teamed with Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard for his latest project, an album with lyrics based on the prose from Jack Kerouac's 1962 novel "Big Sur" that's due Oct. 20 from F-Stop/Atlantic Records. The partnership began when the two artists were asked to contribute a few songs to the soundtrack to the upcoming documentary "One Fast Move or I'm Gone: Kerouac's Big Sur," about the time the writer spent in the Northern California town.

1. You had never met Ben Gibbard before working on the film. Why did the partnership click, and how did it turn into a full album?

Ben and I met the night before we started recording, and throughout the process I think it became apparent that we had a shared sensibility. Under the circumstances things could have easily not gone well, because we were basically getting to know each other in the studio as we were working, and sometimes there were cameras rolling in the studio as well, but it all turned out in the end. I think that both of us having gone through that experience resulted in a bond that you can't create any other way.

2. How has Kerouac's work and the themes in his writing influenced you throughout your career?

I've always been a follower of Kerouac's work. I got started when I was a teenager reading "On the Road," and I think that book gives voice and meaning to a wanderlust that exists in all of us. The quest for self-discovery is encapsulated in that book very well. "Big Sur" is almost kind of the bookend to that, even though it was written during a period in Jack's life where he's kind of looking back and taking stock. Probably the biggest influence from Kerouac that I've picked up over the years is his method of writing, the idea of getting all your first thoughts out there, more of a stream-of-consciousness style of writing, not worrying about structure or form.

3. What was the songwriting process like using Kerouac's words as your lyrics? Was it easier or in some ways harder to adapt than if you were putting your own ideas to music?

It was much easier for two reasons. The first being there was a familiarity with Kerouac's work just from having read so many of his books over the years. Also there was this kid being let loose in a candy store element to the project when I first started getting into the writing. Secondarily, because I was using Jack's lyrics, words and lines from the text of "Big Sur," I think it took away a degree of self-consciousness that's sometimes there when I'm writing my own stuff.

4. How important is it that people read the book and/or watch the film in order to get the most out of the music?

The fact that Atlantic is putting out an edition of the book along with the DVD and the record itself is great. It is a very complementary experience.

5. What are your touring plans to support the album, and will shows include elements other than music, such as readings or film clips?

Ben and I talked about that, but I think because we're first and foremost musicians I think we're kind of falling back on the idea of just making it a rock show. The plan is to do a handful of shows near the end of this month concurrent with the release of the package.

6. What can you say about the reported Woody Guthrie project you're working on?

It actually won't be a continuation of "Mermaid Avenue" [as has been reported]. It's something that I started working on with [Woody's daughter] Nora Guthrie that's still in the works, and if everything goes well, it could be ready for release sometime next year.

I'm enjoying this very much myself as well. Not much of a fan of Death Cab and know very little about them but I quite like the guy's voice. Songs are stong too and it all sounds very fine indeed.

I'm enjoying this very much myself as well. Not much of a fan of Death Cab and know very little about them but I quite like the guy's voice. Songs are stong too and it all sounds very fine indeed.

If you don't like Death Cab, but like Ben's voice, you may want to check out All-Time Quarterback or The Postal Service as he sings in both of them.

As far as the album goes, I've only given it a couple background listens but I'm liking it so far.

Ben and Jay on KCRW this Friday!

http://kcrwmusicnews.vox.com/library/post/upcoming-on-mbe-and-kcrw-presents-53.html

Friday, October 23, Jay Farrar of Son Volt and Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie seem like an unlikely pairing, but their shared appreciation for Beat writer Jack Keroauc lead them to write songs with lyrics taken from the 1962 novel, Big Sur. They’ll share their music live on Morning Becomes Eclectic at 11:15am.

I really like it! Enough so that i went out and bought the limited edition box w/the DVD bonus features and the Big Sur paperback. I'd been looking to check out Kerouac anyway, and this album was as good an excuse as any. Another good reason for me to buy the DVD? Tom Waits is in it!

I've been giving this more attention lately, and I have to say I love the album. I never would have expected it from such an unusual collaboration, but I thinking it's going to come out as one of my favorites of the year. Even "San Fransisco," which I hated when I first heard it last year, ended up impressing me.

I came across a torrent of a radio show the guys did a few days ago. I haven't listened yet, but it looks good. Appears that most of the songs from the album are included:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=529206

And here's a pretty nice video of "California Zephyr" from the tour. Wish I was there:

I've been giving this more attention lately, and I have to say I love the album. I never would have expected it from such an unusual collaboration, but I thinking it's going to come out as one of my favorites of the year. Even "San Fransisco," which I hated when I first heard it last year, ended up impressing me.

I came across a torrent of a radio show the guys did a few days ago. I haven't listened yet, but it looks good. Appears that most of the songs from the album are included:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=529206

And here's a pretty nice video of "California Zephyr" from the tour. Wish I was there:

ben gibbard could be the next alt. country prodigy! he is so great in this context. i've tried and just can't get into death cab, but this is great! also, loved the new reworked voodoo candle. wish jay would redo all the stuff on search and sebastopol acoustic. bass and drums were excellent as was spencer. does son volt really need another guitar player, spencer nails everything; steel, tele, and organ.

great interview...thanks.

I'm pretty shocked at how much I actually liked it due to my slight aversion to Death Cab. It really turned out extremely well. Hope this helps propel Jay a bit.

ben gibbard could be the next alt. country prodigy!

I've been seriously considering buying a Death Cab for Cutie album for the last couple weeks. But then I listen to samples and think no, it's not going to be the same. I listen to my fair share of "indie pop/rock" stuff, but for some reason Death Cab has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Did any other Chicagoans catch the show last night? Absolutely brilliant. I've never really been much of a Ben Gibbard fan, but I thought he was great last night. His voice seems well suited to the alt-country stuff; I never would have guessed.

He and Jay seemed to have an easy give-and-take, too. I've never seen Jay smile so much; hell, I've never really seen him smile...last night I swear I saw teeth. :lol

Jay's more rockin' numbers were definitely the crowd pleasers, and they had a multi-instrumentalist (Hammond/pedal steel/slide guitar) who stole the show; he was really talented.

Also, Jay doesn't seem to have aged a day since the UT days. Had to wonder what it was like for him playing a few doors down from the old Lounge Ax...

Nice review from Greg Kot here:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2009/10/concert-review-jay-farrar-ben-gibbard-take-on-kerouac-at-lincoln-hall.html

I've been seriously considering buying a Death Cab for Cutie album for the last couple weeks. But then I listen to samples and think no, it's not going to be the same. I listen to my fair share of "indie pop/rock" stuff, but for some reason Death Cab has always rubbed me the wrong way.

i always liked their album transatlaticism the best.

i always liked their album transatlaticism the best.

I may have to go for it. I've got a iTunes gift card hanging around . . .

And to keep things on track, I'm still loving One Fast Move or I'm Gone. I've been watching lots of Youtube videos from the shows in awe. Those guys really do make a great duo.

I'll second the recommendation of Transatlanticism. It is their best, but also check out The Photo Album.

I am loving this collaboration/album quite a bit too. My expectations were set very, very low because I thought that the pairing just didn't fit. However, I think that they're an awesome combo.

I listened to this album quite a few times this week.

It's a little too low-key for me in places, and the wording can feel pretty awkward at times, but overall I think a few of these tracks shouldn't be missed and the album is definitely a lot better than most stuff I bought this year.

Biggest surprise for me was that I enjoyed the songs vocalized by Gibbard more than any of the Farrar ones. To me the musical high points are the couple times when the two guys are harmonizing along with a pedal-steel guitar.

In my defense, I didn't mean the way Kerouac put the words together. I mean they sometimes tried to sing too many words in a verse. I actually love Kerouac's manic style, but I'm not sure anyone outside of rap should try to sing that way. The better songs on this disc, to me, are the ones where they focus on his better images (as in Sea Engines) but do not try to sing 5 pages of prose in a song.

My wife came home from grocery shopping today and said she had heard a song off this and thought it was pretty. Later I heard a song off this in the car and was impressed. I have been largely not cool with any of the "new" Son Volt stuff and I'm not a hug Death Cab fan, but this seems to work. I will agree that listening to a couple sample tracks, the lyrics are a little clumsy like mentioned above. Anyway, guess I might put some money down on mr. farrar again after all.