London Troxy - Aug 25 2009

You brits hardly have a corner on the "more rotation" or "spiders takes up too much time" argument :lol

For a band that is supporting a new record, they cut a pretty wide swath through their catalog. Here's my count:

WTA - 5

SBS - 4

AGIB - 5

YHF - 4

ST - 2

MA I/II - 1

BT - 1

AM - 0

Plus, Can't Stand It and Nothingsever hadn't been played live by the full band in years until the residency in Chicago 18 months ago. Radio Cure and Forget the Flowers are hardly regulars in the rotation, and the new stuff needs to get played. All in all -- they really do hit nearly every corner of their catalog most nights.

And, you got the Jefftivus -- so that's pretty OK!!

Can't stand it was played a few times in July...still pretty cool!

:D

I don't really care either. It always comes with mixed feelings when a band you like gets very popular. It's disappointing that it gets harder to get tickets, and the venues (usually) get bigger and less friendly, but I do like to see people who I think deserve it, get the recognition.

I think where Wilco is at the moment, in many ways, is pretty good. I'm sure they're making enough money to gey by ( ;) ), yet they still have the freedom (artistically and personally) that acts like U2 probably can't enjoy as much.

I imagine a day when people ask me who I really like, and I answer "Wilco", that they won't say "who?" :D

Yeah but then I anticipate that day with mixed feelings too, as that will mean the end to all those nice cosy small venues.

Why does everything in life have to have two sides to it :argue?!

The guy who wrote the piece used to work for Wilco-loving Uncut magazine (was there from the start I believe - I met him once or twice) and before that was at Melody Maker.

I get irritrated by the 40-something men tag, there were many 20 somethings and up and a large female presence too.

I can understand the band 'identity' thing to a degree. Eclectic bands like Wilco are hard to pigeonhole and IMO the wider the swing in styles the more you'll suffer for it (in terms of reaching a wider audience) . Walken for example is far from being alt-rock and a million miles from Spiders or Deeper Down.

The guy who wrote the piece used to work for Wilco-loving Uncut magazine (was there from the start I believe - I met him once or twice) and before that was at Melody Maker.

I get irritrated by the 40-something men tag, there were many 20 somethings and up and a large female presence too.

I can understand the band 'identity' thing to a degree. Eclectic bands like Wilco are hard to pigeonhole and IMO the wider the swing in styles the more you'll suffer for it (in terms of reaching a wider audience) . Walken for example is far from being alt-rock and a million miles from Spiders or Deeper Down.

indeed...

I get the identity 'problem' too, up to a point. The people who have the biggest problem with it though are journalists (it makes them have to think about what they're actually writing :D ) and record companies who can't figure out which category to sell them as... thank god they found Nonesuch (and vice-versa). Artists shouldn't be wasting time worrying about how they could or should be categorised.

I was also slightly surprised at how mixed the audience was, both in age and gender... what's he on about?

The Spice Girls dancing naked/Oasis not turning up?

I don't know and I don't care. This was one of the absolutely best Wilco shows I've seen, the guys seemed to burst with joy playing their surprise-packed set, the sound was good even in the front row, everything else was perfect too, so just ignore complete music illiterates like this guy.

You crack me up, Dunja!:lol So glad to hear you had such a marvellous show!

My first Wilco show - we are a bit starved in the UK and its been quite a wait after the cancellation of the 07 tour.

Anyway, it was worth the wait and that it coincided with Jeff's birthday was a nice event that may have explained the band's visible joy at playing London. The above poster is correct, London audiences are fickle but this one transcended the odd surroundings, the over-zealous luminous-jacketed staff and was up for it straight-off, from what I could make out from the rail on the mezzanine level which overlooked the pit-like area.

The SBS tracks take on another dimension live and the savage Hate It Here (London?) just after Happy Birthday had died down saw Glenn almost levitate on the breaks towards the end.

Nothing prepares you for Nels. My girlfriend (a nurse) was concerned he might be petty malling at one point only to realise that that was him in the zone. Pat caught every one of the high-tossed castanets during Spiders and I, for one, would have felt short-changed if they'd come and gone without that particular tour de force.

They were fighting the curfew towards the end but the Hoodoo Voodoo stand-off between Nels and Pat (Jeff meekly sat down on the drum riser at one point) was a great send off.

"We'll be back - in November" - Jeff confirmed leaving me to ponder why the fates have conspired so that two icons of Americana - Wilco and Steve Earle - happen to be playing in my home town of Leeds on the same night!

This is a great site, by the way - for a truly great band.

The Guardian review to me was extremely odd - one minute he was digging them for some nice feedback and the next he's saying that they didn't go further enough. What did he want Nels to do after smashing his guitar into the amps for more feedback - hump the guitar or hit Jeff over the head with it? What in his mind is ``further enough''? About the only thing I can agree on here is that the songs did lost some flourishes most because it was so loud. But that was a small issue when weighed against the rest of the night.

Those are some gorgeous shots! :yes what kind of camera are you using?

Canon G10.

Although quite a lot of my pictures were rubbish (blurred) due to :

- the lighting system was quite unusual. No front light, only from the ceiling. The band was mainly in the shade. Tough for the camera, even at high iso.

- it's nearly impossible to shoot a sharp picture of Nels (with a compact/bridge camera), he's always moving/shaking like he's got fleas running under his shirt :P.

Sam

Canon G10.

Although quite a lot of my pictures were rubbish (blurred) due to :

- the lighting system was quite unusual. No front light, only from the ceiling. The band was mainly in the shade. Tough for the camera, even at high iso.

- it's nearly impossible to shoot a sharp picture of Nels (with a compact/bridge camera), he's always moving/shaking like he's got fleas running under his shirt :P.

Sam

those are great shots, especially given the lighting conditions...Jeff was pretty much in the shade for large chunks of the show. What were the lighting people doing??,.... were there any lighting people?

:D just noticed, me and my wife are in a couple of those shots of the upstairs after the show... in the blue t-shirt with my wife in black...

Hi Tony! looks like you & the wife had a great view from up there!

Looking at the after shots, where you can see the surrounding city, has me craving a return trip to London.

yep, a perfect view. I don't usually like going upstairs, but I guessed there wouldn't be that cut-off feeling you get at some venues, and wasn't too sure how the view would be downstairs (unless you're at the barrier...)

I'll be downstairs for the Forum in November ;)

yep, a perfect view. I don't usually like going upstairs, but I guessed there wouldn't be that cut-off feeling you get at some venues, and wasn't too sure how the view would be downstairs (unless you're at the barrier...)

I'll be downstairs for the Forum in November ;)

Right, an idea, anyone fancy a VC meetup somewhere in the vicinity of The Forum - there are lodas of pubs nearby in Kentish Town?

I have a guest list spare for the gig and anyone making the effort to come over from the US will be getting the ticket.

Any takers?

• 3 weeks later...

no bootlegs turned up at all yet?

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but there won't be any recording of this show.

The obvious reason is that I was at the show and whenever I attend a Wilco/Tweedy gig NO recording ever shows up.

(Well, Paris 2005 exists but the sound is pretty bad)

:pirate