Barack Obama hates Buddhist people...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually you get them after you do something, not in the hope you will.

I worked really hard to form that comment without cynicism. My first reaction was quite a bit less diplomatic.

Strange days, these.

One can only hope he lives up to the the prize.

Me too. This seems really really early. They should be giving the prize to someone who has actually done something. Sort of Weird really.

This on the same morning that an article in the Trib indicated that an Israeli-Palestinian peace was a long way off.

LouieB

Me too. This seems really really early. They should be giving the prize to someone who has actually done something. Sort of Weird really.

This on the same morning that an article in the Trib indicated that an Israeli-Palestinian peace was a long way off.

LouieB

Weird is an understatement. I threw up a little this morning.

Wow, I'm dumbfounded by this decision.

Wow, I'm dumbfounded by this decision.

Sickened I am, surprised I am not. This action will help further ingrain the idea of Obama the bridge builder and further set in place the policies of the bush /obama (names becoming more and more interchangeable) administrations.

I'm surprised, but not too surprised. The rest of the world was so anxious to put the disastrous George W. Bush era behind them (even more than we Americans were) that they jumped the gun on anointing his successor as the herald of a new age.

Sadly, so far we have only the rhetoric and a few small (yet significant) gestures in a new direction. He's been in office only eight and a half months, though ... perhaps he will one day live up to this honor (retroactively).

So let me get this straight, Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize, but not the Olympics?

I'm not sure Obama himself had much to do with either.

The rest of the world hated George Bush, but they also hate the U.S. Olympic Committee, and the draconian security gauntlet that foreigners have to undergo just to enter this country.

I think it's a fine choice. So they're looking to the future, making an investment, counting on him living up to his potential on the world stage, even throwing down the gauntlet and challenging him to do better. The Cairo speech was a big part of this no doubt.

There's my optimistic, naive take. Y'all are crazy cynical.

I think it's a fine choice. So they're looking to the future, making an investment, counting on him living up to his potential on the world stage, even throwing down the gauntlet and challenging him to do better.

Let's just give Michael Phelps all the gold medals from the 2012 Olympics right now. I'm sure he'll live up to that potential when the time comes.

Let's just give Michael Phelps all the gold medals from the 2012 Olympics right now. I'm sure he'll live up to that potential when the time comes.

Eh. A little more umm...weight is involved in world peace. And I say that with 100% snark directed right at ya.

I'm an unabashed Obama lover, but count me among the cynics. I think he's got a bit more legwork to do before he's Peace Prize worthy, but I'm happy for him.

I kind of feel bad for Malia and Sasha - how can they ever live up to their parents? I imagine Obama sitting in a rocking chair 40 years from now saying something along the lines of "By the time I was your age, I was the first African-American president, I won the Nobel Peace Prize, won a Grammy, a best selling author, solved the health care crisis (I hope)"

http://nobelprize.or...sted/index.html

Granted, the committee is supposed to consider accomplishments:

The Prize, in other words, is not only for past achievement, although that is the most important criterion.

But Sejersted continues:

The committee also takes the possible positive effects of its choices into account. Among the reasons for adding this as a criterion is the obvious point that (Alfred) Nobel wanted the Prize to have political effects. Awarding a Peace Prize is, to put it bluntly, a political act – which is also the reason why the choices so often stir up controversy.

There it is. The committee also takes the possible positive effects of its choices into account. That wasn't written this morning. They made the choice this time based more on possible positive effects than past achievement. It's a shift, yes, but I don't care what cute parallels you can draw to complain about this - the question is: how can this be a bad thing?

I think it's a fine choice. So they're looking to the future, making an investment, counting on him living up to his potential on the world stage, even throwing down the gauntlet and challenging him to do better. The Cairo speech was a big part of this no doubt.

There's my optimistic, naive take. Y'all are crazy cynical.

If I lived in Afghanistan would I be cynic? How about Palestine? Maybe Honduras? Of what if I was from Cuba? Maybe Venezuela? Guam? How about if I needed health insurance? What if I was Gates? What if I was Kanye West? What if I lived in Pakistan?