The Donovan Thread

I guess I said this on the other thread, but I got to see Donovan in the early 70s. I like his Hickory label stuff particularly, when he was trying hard to sound like Dylan. I also like from his relatively late period an album called Open Road. This is long out of print I think, but well worth trying to find at your local used record store.

Donovan-open-road.jpg

(actually it looks like it has been reissued.)

LouieB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I said this on the other thread, but I got to see Donovan in the early 70s. I like his Hickory label stuff particularly, when he was trying hard to sound like Dylan. I also like from his relatively late period an album called Open Road. This is long out of print I think, but well worth trying to find at your local used record store.

Donovan-open-road.jpg

LouieB

Ordered

Donovan-open-road.jpg

LouieB

Open Road is it, I'm telling you all.

"Don't let the changes get you down man"

Open Road was a band project that was similar to David Bowie doing Tin Machine (or Rodney Crowell's the Cicadas); it yielded some really good songs. I have not listened to it in years, but it was a fave during college. I have a sort of beat up vinyl copy.

LouieB

Open Road was a band project that was similar to David Bowie doing Tin Machine (or Rodney Crowell's the Cicadas); it yielded some really good songs. I have not listened to it in years, but it was a fave during college. I have a sort of beat up vinyl copy.

LouieB

I'd be all over a Tin Machine thread. :rock

A few faves that deserve mentioning:

Hampstead Incident (oh yeah)

Celeste

Guinevere

Cosmic Wheels

Roots Of Oak

Sand And Foam

• 1 month later...

Sutras

This is the film that Mountain Bed was talking about. I would like to see it myself:

Sunshine Superman - The Journey Of Donovan

My old lady got me this DVD for Xmas, and it's just a brilliant documentary. Lots of personal recollections from Don himself, and a lot of tantalizing footage. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan.

My old lady got me this DVD for Xmas, and it's just a brilliant documentary. Lots of personal recollections from Don himself, and a lot of tantalizing footage. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan.

Oh, so we have talked about that before. LOL I forgot.