The Donovan Thread

Donovan's Greatest Hits

There are various configurations of the album. Also - there are several other compilations/hits cds.

I have this one:

Early Treasures

Oh that reminds me of my favorite Dovonan song "Turqouise"

Also the Greatest Hits original vinyl version had re-recorded versions of Colors and Catch the Wind. They have full band and are exceptional. Not necessarily better than the original's just awesome

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dancing

We always called Donovan "The Pied Piper Of Peace". :D I have a number of his records, including the 1968 live LP which is quite good. The Greatest Hits and Troubadour double CD are essential, but for me the Mellow Yellow LP is THE ONE. Some of the records are littered with filler, but Mellow Yellow is solid all the way through. I love damn near every song on that one. "Sunny South Kensington" (the b-side of the Mellow Yellow 45) is a wicked cool tune.

"The Classics-Live" (1991) is a great record as well, featuring the great Paul Horn on Young Girl Blues and others.

Great thread!

That's not a cover.

I think that the greatest hits version of Catch the Wind (or the one I have) is actually a live version from the late 1960s, early 1970s - a tv show i'd imagine or radio session as the sound is very good. It's got a full band production too.

edit: got that slightly wrong - they are studio versions, just re-recorded for the greatest hits. not tv/radio versions.

Wow, you're right. I had no idea. I always thought Ritchie wrote it.

Do you know of Donovans's association with Shawn Phillips in the early seventies ? He claims he co-wrote a few songs without credit.

"The Pied Piper of Peace"

You know, usually that kind of thing mixed with music is a miss for me. However I think Donovan does it sincerely and for some reason I accept it and it works. Kind of how I sorta feel about Devendra Banhart. It isn't my wave, but I dig your passion for the wave you are riding.

He has made a lot of albums. More than I knew about.

Has anyone read his book - The Hurdy Gurdy Man?

Well now, there's another book I need to read! I guess there's a new 2 DVD set out that is basically a bio/history of Donovan.

Aman - you probably know this already, but on the song "Barabajagal" the backing band is the original Jeff Beck Group (JB, Ron Wood, Hopkins & Tony Newman. Interesting - it sounds nothing at all like the JBG.

Well now, there's another book I need to read! I guess there's a new 2 DVD set out that is basically a bio/history of Donovan.

Aman - you probably know this already, but on the song "Barabajagal" the backing band is the original Jeff Beck Group (JB, Ron Wood, Hopkins & Tony Newman. Interesting - it sounds nothing at all like the JBG.

There are also some other songs they did that are on one of the UK re-masters of the album.

I'd like to see that film also.

Donovan tried to get Hendrix to play on the recording, but he was on tour and unavailable, as was Jimmy Page who was out of the country touring with The Yardbirds. Instead the job went to a young British guitarist, Alan Parker. It is possible Jimmy Page did play on other tracking sessions for The Hurdy Gurdy Man LP, although this is unlikely, as the remaining guitar parts were acoustic only and played by Donovan except on "Tangier", which features Bert Jansch. John Paul Jones played bass with Clem Cattini on drums.

However, in the three-hour 2008 documentary DVD movie about Donovan's life and music directed by Hannes Rossacher, also titled "Sunshine Superman", Donovan himself states that Jimmy Page did indeed record guitar on the "Hurdy Gurdy Man" song, with John Paul Jones on bass and Jon Bonham on drums, with virtually all of Led Zeppelin performing on that song except for lead singer Robert Plant. Jones and Page have both stated that Led Zeppelin was formed during "The Hurdy Gurdy Man" sessions.

Did that strip away your "at least Richie Havens popularized one song of his own" belief? :D

(okay, 'Freedom', I see now, is his)

There are others - such as "Handsome Johnny" - which he wrote with Louis Gossett, Jr. But, you are right, he is mainly known for covering other peoples songs. But, that is a whole other thread.

That's cool info! I knew it was Beck on guitar on that track, but I didn't realize the other musicians were the Beck Group. :thumbup

There are others - such as "Handsome Johnny" - which he wrote with Louis Gossett, Jr. But, you are right, he is mainly known for covering other peoples songs. But, that is a whole other thread.

Kinda like Joe Cocker (although he did co-write some real gems, like Marjorine, Change in Louise, and Sandpaper Cadillac, from his first album). Incidentally, another singer who worked with Jimmy Page.

Conflicting stories on Hurdy Gurdy Man. JPJ was definitely involved, as he arranged (and produced?) the song. Page claims he was in the U.S. at the time, but thinks Jeff Beck may have recorded a version which was not used. Regardless, Page says he was sought out by Donovan, but was unavailable, and definitely did not. So, you have Donovan saying it was Page, and Page saying he was not there.

I could just be a case of selective memory of either dude.

Regardless, the guitar wail and following drum roll is one of my favorites.

The Fat Angel

Way back in high school we were doing some substances when a friend starting getting kind of panicky. This is the exact song we put on to mellow things out and it worked like a charm.

As far as Jimmy Page playing on stuff, he will be the first to admit he can't remember half of what he played on. In "It might get loud" he mentions that the legend of what he has played on has grown out of control to the point where he played on everything.

I've always thought it was Jeff Beck and company on Hurdy Gurdy Man. I don't think I heard about it being someone else until I read the liner notes in the re-release of the Greatest Hits cd. It does not sound like John Bonham on drums to me.

As far as Jimmy Page playing on stuff, he will be the first to admit he can't remember half of what he played on. In "It might get loud" he mentions that the legend of what he has played on has grown out of control to the point where he played on everything.

The John Paul Jones wikipedia page has a quote from Jimmy Page in which he refers to his work on Hurdy Gurdy Man session:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_(musician)

"I was working at the sessions for Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man, and John Paul Jones was looking after the musical arrangements. During a break, he asked me if I could use a bass player in the new group I was forming. He had a proper music training, and he had quite brilliant ideas. I jumped at the chance of getting him.[13]"

I just looked up some of those albums at Amazon. It looks like the re-masters are still in print, and actually don't cost all that much.

Ferris Wheel

I've got a copy of Open Road on Vinyl, its def. He's overlooked gem, and the closing tune "new years resolution" is a minor masterpiece, there was also a couple good tunes on that record he did for american records in the 90's J Cash Style.

I've got a copy of Open Road on Vinyl, its def. He's overlooked gem, and the closing tune "new years resolution" is a minor masterpiece, there was also a couple good tunes on that record he did for american records in the 90's J Cash Style.

Sutras

This is the film that Mountain Bed was talking about. I would like to see it myself:

Sunshine Superman - The Journey Of Donovan

During the version of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" on the CD The Classics - Live Donovan tells a story of how the song was written. It was in India, when he was there with the Fabs, Mia Farrow, etc. George Harrison told Donovan, "I could write a verse for that song, Don". So he did - and then Donovan proceeds to sing 'the long, lost verse of George'. Here'tis:

When the truth gets buried deep

Beneath a thousand years of sleep

Time demands I turn around

And once again the truth is found

Awakening the hurdy-gurdy man

Who comes singing songs of lo-o-ove...