The Donovan Thread

Well since Donovan came up in the "Is It Wrong To Not Like The Beatles" thread, via Bob Dylan?

Mountain Bed stated his love for Donovan's output from 65-70.

All I can say, is start with Donovan's Greatest Hits and go from there. This kept my record collecting in full swing for about a year back in 2001.

A true lost Donovan gem is 1970 "Open Road" record. I believe this to be the last good Donovan album, and I love it. It needs to be reissued on CD.

Anyway, let the Donovan fans rise and discuss.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about Donovan - seems a lot of people choose not to notice that he actually requests 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue' of Dylan in that Don't Look Back hotel room scene. More often than not, I see that scene referenced as Dylan slaying Donovan (after Donovan plays his song).

One thing about Donovan - seems a lot of people choose not to notice that he actually requests 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue' of Dylan in that Don't Look Back hotel room scene. More often than not, I see that scene referenced as Dylan slaying Donovan (after Donovan plays his song).

:ermm

I think Donovan comes off as a respectful fan in that scene, and Bob comes off as a pompous ass. I guess Dylan could have felt that around that time Donovan was ripping him off, but still, that is a compliment isn't it?

I think Donovan comes off as a respectful fan in that scene, and Bob comes off as a pompous ass. I guess Dylan could have felt that around that time Donovan was ripping him off, but still, that is a compliment isn't it?

I tend to agree with the above. Donovan, from what I remember, seemed like shy kid who was in awe of Dylan.

But throughout the whole film, Dylan comes of as a pompous ass...god love em.

I have never gotten into Donovan, the stuff I hear on the radio seems a bit fluffy to me. I haven't delved too deep into his catalog,though.

All due respect to Donovan, Dylan could very well have been coming up with lines for 'Like A Rolling Stone' as he listens to Donovan play. Considering that, I think he comes off as extremely respectful in that scene. I doubt the thought 'this guy rips me off' enters into the equation.

Anyway, this is a Donovan thread.

Well since Donovan came up in the "Is It Wrong To Not Like The Beatles" thread, via Bob Dylan?

Mountain Bed stated his love for Donovan's output from 65-70.

All I can say, is start with Donovan's Greatest Hits and go from there. This kept my record collecting in full swing for about a year back in 2001.

A true lost Donovan gem is 1970 "Open Road" record. I believe this to be the last good Donovan album, and I love it. It needs to be reissued on CD.

Anyway, let the Donovan fans rise and discuss.

I love the man. He was one of the first non-Beatle musicians I really got into. In fact I think his greatest hits was the first record I got that wasn't either by the Beatles or by a solo Beatle. I can' hear a Donovan song and not be in a better mood than I was before I heard it.

Re: Dylan v. Donovan.

Donovan for me gets a lot more interesting when his records started bringing in more chamber and full rock band instrumentation. Still, while it's hard to argue "Catch The Wind" is as good as early Dylan, he's certainly one of the best "next Bob Dylans" in pop music history.

--Mike

I tend to agree with the above. Donovan, from what I remember, seemed like shy kid who was in awe of Dylan.

But throughout the whole film, Dylan comes of as a pompous ass...god love em.

I have never gotten into Donovan, the stuff I hear on the radio seems a bit fluffy to me. I haven't delved to deep into his catalog,though.

yeah, some of it is fluffy and downright weird, but don't go into thinking of dylan or anybody else. Donovan is his own thing and it is pretty enjoyable on a basic level.

I honestly have no idea if this video was posted ironically. As someone who doesn't know much by Donovan, is this an example of good or terrible Donovan?

I think that is a great song. The performance in that video is different from the studio take of the song. Of course, it also gave rise to Mountain Jam.

There Is A Mountain (studio version - Donovan).

Mountain Jam (from Live At Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band)

I honestly have no idea if this video was posted ironically. As someone who doesn't know much by Donovan, is this an example of good or terrible Donovan?

Oh I love that song. I was hoping to find the performance from just a few years ago that PBS aired.

Donovan Songs To Love

1. Season of Farewell (Open Road)

2. Wear Your Love Like Heaven (Wear Your Love Like Heaven)

3. Catch The Wind (Original Vinyl Greatest Hits Version)

4. Car Car Song (Cover of Woody on Catch the Wind album)

that is my start

Is the vinyl version different from the CD?

Also, I'd like to add his cover of Ritchie Haven's Season of The Witch.

That's not a cover.

I think that the greatest hits version of Catch the Wind (or the one I have) is actually a live version from the late 1960s, early 1970s - a tv show i'd imagine or radio session as the sound is very good. It's got a full band production too.

edit: got that slightly wrong - they are studio versions, just re-recorded for the greatest hits. not tv/radio versions.

Donovan's Greatest Hits

There are various configurations of the album. Also - there are several other compilations/hits cds.

I have this one:

Early Treasures

By 1973, Bell Records acquired the rights to release Donovan's Pye Records catalog in the United States. These rights originally belonged to Hickory Records and later to Janus Records, the latter issuing Donovan P. Leitch in 1970 and Hear Me Now in 1971.