Brussels, Nov 6th 2009 (Ancienne Belgique)

Just back from the show.

Great show.

Here's the setlist :

Via chicago

I'll fight

Company in my back

Wilco (The Song)

Shot in the arm

Bull black nova

I am trying to break your heart

One wing

Misunderstood :thumbup

Deeper down

Handshake drugs

Wishful thinking

Impossible Germany

Poor places

Reservation

Spiders

------------------

Jesus etc (sung by the audience)

Sonny feeling

The late greats

Heavy metal drummer

I hate it here

Walken

I'm the man who loves you

Monday

I'm a wheel

2 hours 12 minutes

More later. Time for bed.

-Sam

Phenomenal show. No, Jeff wasn't that chatty but was very focused on the music and let's face it, that's what counts. He did however complement the audience on the best country-without-English-as-its-first-language-singalong to Jesus etc. that he had experienced :rock (faint praise?)!

I had seen them back in London earlier in the year at the Troxy and as was already mentioned on this forum, that show felt lacking the intensity that I usually assocaiate with Wilco shows.

As soon as I heard the first strains of Via Chicago for the opener I sensed this was going to be a great show. It's great to see that the new songs are finding the place in the natural order of the set and Wilco (the song) and Bull Black Nova as parentheses to a Shot in the Arm really highlighted the strength of the new material.

The run of 5 songs which ended the first set (Wishful Thinking, Impossible Germany, Cold Places, Reservations, Spiders) was absolutely stunning. A relentless and quite dark series of songs which kept me absolutely transfixed.

The aforementioned audience participation in Jesus etc for the first song of the encore was fun but it did seem to deflate somewhat the energy that had built up with that magnificent quintet of songs leading up the break. Sonny Feeling and Late Greats certainly got the place jumping again immediately after though.

A couple of my least favourite songs then really did pop the balloon a bit (Heavy Metal Drummer and Hate it Here) but the highlight of the second set/encore was undoubtedly Monday for which Jeff broke out his rainbow Gibson SG and rocked out!

All in all a great show and looking forward to Amsterdam in 10 days (where I suspect we'll get another Sonny Feeling ;)) .

Looks like a pretty nice main set, Sam! Glad you had a good time. Hope you didn't have any problem with that ticket.

Hey Paul !

I had a great time indeed !

The band seemed genuinely happy to be here , big smiles during/between songs.

Though Jeff hasn't been very talkative, but I think the main reason is because of the 10:30 curfew.

Less talk would allow them to play as much tunes as they play elsewhere. They also play one long encore instead of

the regular two which saved some time for a few more songs.

Jeff asked why in the world would the Belgians vote themselves the most boring people?

Don't know where he got this info from, obviously that's wrong :lol

He complimented the excellent health care system, as Mike and John had to use it (eyeball and throat problems respectively).

(Jeff joked that Mike's eyeball went straight through John's throat)

He teased a guy about holding 2 drinks the entire concert, and got us all to sing along to "Jesus, etc."

He said we did the best of any"second language" crowd, :rock !

Looking forward to the show in Eindhoven.

To those interested, the show was taped. But the taper arrived late and is missing the first 5 songs.

Anyway it will be "torrented" very soon (maybe later today).

Oh, and Evengelista was great too.

-Samuel

Back in my old Dutch neighbourhood after visiting both show in London and Brussels. It’s impossible to say which of the shows was exactly the best, but in my opinion I saw in Brussels a great, perfect show (like for two years in Gent, great show also) but in London I experienced a real rock concert. Jeff was full of energy, the contact with the London crowd was intense and had a climax during the solo-acoustic “Someone Else’s Song” in the end. In Brussels it was more talking about a chocolate store at ever corner of the street and when someone in the audience shouted: “What about the beer?”, Jeff just said : Well, let’s get on with the show.” Glenn didn’t stand up before “I'm The Man Who Loves You” and Jeff sat down (nice photo!) during Jesus, Etc. Must say I liked the sound in Brussels (more balanced, in London very direct) and the crowd was (i.m.o.) more enthusiastic, although London beats Brussels in singing along with Jesus, Etc. (a g-r-e-a-t video on YouTube!). I do agree about the tension built in the last songs of the first set. It began already during “IATTBYH>One Wing”!

A week for recovering and then Amsterdam and Eindhoven. What a treat, four time Wilco in three weeks and twice in the Netherlands! I saw Wilco the last two times in the Paradiso (2005/2007) in Amsterdam and I get the feeling Jeff/Wilco likes to play in Amsterdam. I do hope for a some more great setlists in the Netherlands. Of course in Amsterdam “Sonny Feeling”, I still miss hearing “You Never Know” and how about some more tracks from Summerteeth or Being There? Or ... maybe an acoustic Jeff Tweedy like in London?

Hi

I was at the Brussels show and it was really good.

Yes Tweedy wasn't as talkative as he can be and yes they seemed really happy.

I enjoyed the setlist cause it was SO complementary from the last show i had been to (Lisbon in May).

Lisbon was heavily Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (ALL songs played from IATTBYH to Pot Kettle Black included) and Sky Blue Sky whereas Brussels was much more A Ghost is Born and Wilco (the album). Oldies were also different, so in the end, i was lucky.

I loved Via Chicago as an opener. I'm more and more into Bull Black Nova. I'm not a big fan of Handshake Drugs on the record but it was really stirring on friday night. Same thing for Sonny Feeling. Impossible Germany was great, but it may not be necessary to mention it. And the Jesus singalong was really cool.

From what i read in the forum rules, torrents of live shows can be talked about here, so here i go : i saw this Brussels show was taped.

Any idea what site will have it? Beside dimadozen (which hasn't got it... yet?), where would you look? (I'm on mac, so soulseek isn't an option)

Thanks

Hi

I was at the Brussels show and it was really good.

Yes Tweedy wasn't as talkative as he can be and yes they seemed really happy.

I enjoyed the setlist cause it was SO complementary from the last show i had been to (Lisbon in May).

Lisbon was heavily Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (ALL songs played from IATTBYH to Pot Kettle Black included) and Sky Blue Sky whereas Brussels was much more A Ghost is Born and Wilco (the album). Oldies were also different, so in the end, i was lucky.

I loved Via Chicago as an opener. I'm more and more into Bull Black Nova. I'm not a big fan of Handshake Drugs on the record but it was really stirring on friday night. Same thing for Sonny Feeling. Impossible Germany was great, but it may not be necessary to mention it. And the Jesus singalong was really cool.

From what i read in the forum rules, torrents of live shows can be talked about here, so here i go : i saw this Brussels show was taped.

Any idea what site will have it? Beside dimadozen (which hasn't got it... yet?), where would you look? (I'm on mac, so soulseek isn't an option)

Thanks

Check this section of Via Chicago. Although, as you said - it will probably appear on Dime a Dozen, bt.etree.org, or The Traders' Den.

Wishful thinking

So kool... :dribble I'm wishful :pray for it in March!

Reading about all the shows, I don't know if I can wait until March.

Wish for a show sooner... :dribble

It's great all ya'll that's enjoying the shows, such great fun!!!

I think i would die if i ever saw Poor Places-->Reservations-->Spiders. It just seems perfect. Ive seen it done without Reservations, and its good, but i really fucking love that song

Your right, that does seem perfect! :worship

Your right, that does seem perfect! :worship

Go to the Wilco Archive on The Owl & Bear site, check out the 02-19-08 show.

This sequence was performed - the recordings were an FM broadcast so it was a pretty good sound mix.

Go to the Wilco Archive on The Owl & Bear site, check out the 02-19-08 show.

This sequence was performed - the recordings were an FM broadcast so it was a pretty good sound mix.

Thanks, I will do that!

• 1 month later...

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Phenomenal show. No, Jeff wasn't that chatty but was very focused on the music and let's face it, that's what counts. He did however complement the audience on the best country-without-English-as-its-first-language-singalong to Jesus etc. that he had experienced (faint praise?)!

----------------

Yeah, I was there too and it was an amazing show!!! I thought Jeff was really chatty (maybe compared to previous shows I've been to in Spain...). And the Jesus, etc, singalong was wonderful! You can check it here: