Grammy Nominations

I thought that album was great! Yeah, it's not a rocker but there are some great vocals and grooves implemented by two very different personalities...plus, T Bone Burnett is a hell of a producer. But, to each their own...

I actually don't dislike Raising Sand, and got a copy out of interest, but I can't get too excited about it either. I just can't see how that could ever be 'Album of the Year'

Interesting to look through the years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Album_of_the_Year

I hardly see how Wilco (the album) is Americana, but you have to admit that if you were Wilco, you'd be pretty damn happy to be in the same category as some of those folks (Dylan, Helm).

Isn't Americana an orange juice brand?

Is this the same category that SBS got nominated in ('Americana')?

SBS was nominated for Best Rock Album, up against:

· Daughtry - Daughtry

· John Fogerty - Revival

· Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

· Bruce Springsteen - Magic

Foo Fighters won it.

this year's alternative category is actually decent. All these albums are highly enjoyable.

•Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

David Byrne & Brian Eno

[Yep Roc Records]

•The Open Door

Death Cab For Cutie

[Atlantic]

•Sounds Of The Universe

Depeche Mode

[Capitol]

•Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Phoenix

[Loyaute/Glassnote Records]

•It's Blitz!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

[DGC Records/Interscope]

the other noms are mostly horrid, especially the main 20. As someone else mentioned in here, it's like they're not even listening and just going off sales figures, and who "should" get a nomination. Great for Wilco to get one, but seriously that category is dubious

this year's alternative category is actually decent. All these albums are highly enjoyable.

•Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

David Byrne & Brian Eno

[Yep Roc Records]

•The Open Door

Death Cab For Cutie

[Atlantic]

•Sounds Of The Universe

Depeche Mode

[Capitol]

•Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Phoenix

[Loyaute/Glassnote Records]

•It's Blitz!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

[DGC Records/Interscope]

the other noms are mostly horrid, especially the main 20. As someone else mentioned in here, it's like they're not even listening and just going off sales figures, and who "should" get a nomination. Great for Wilco to get one, but seriously that category is dubious

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today came out last year. Nevertheless, I really like it. David Byrne and Brian Eno's names are pretty big.

When was the last time an EP made it to nominations? Airbag, or was it Fight Test?

DCFC's name is pretty big (thanks to Zach Braff).

Depeche Mode have been around for quite a long time and have a pretty big reputation.

Phoenix finally got the attention they deserved. You couldn't switch college music stations without hearing their songs this spring/summer. Oh, and they got that nice spot on SNL.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, yeah yeah yeah, you get the point. There's a lot of popular names. I wonder what happens when we look in the other categories...

Guest Speed Racer

Who said we cared??

Exactly. The Grammys, Oscars, etc. always remind me of a fight in the hallway between classes in high school. No one really knew the people in the fight before it started, no one remembers their names about 20 minutes afterward, but for a few fleeting moments, watching and chatting about it is a superb pastime.

Exactly. The Grammys, Oscars, etc. always remind me of a fight in the hallway between classes in high school. No one really knew the people in the fight before it started, no one remembers their names about 20 minutes afterward, but for a few fleeting moments, watching and chatting about it is a superb pastime.

We don't care, but it's fun to bitch about on a cold dark night.

You obviously went to alot bigger high school than I did ;)

Heard a comedian talking about how the Grammy's always go to the big stars. Just once he would like to hear:

"And the grammy goes to (insert obscure name here).

They couldn't be here tonight because their van broke down on the way to the ceremony. Their manager was not available to accept the award on their behalf as he could not get the time off from his job at the video store..."