Grammy Nominations

Last years album of the year says it all:

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand

Most boring album of the year, a total snore....

Anyone complaining about W(TA) should listen to this one. Which one would you rather have on a desert island?

Anyone complaining about W(TA) should listen to this one. Which one would you rather have on a desert island?

Hmmm... well, if you listen to some on this site, W(ta) is by far their weakest album in a while so they must be a shoo-in for album of the year! :stunned

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised either way. They could be completely snubbed just as easily as being up for multiple big awards.

I happen to like this album - it didn't kick my ass all over the place, but the mellow vibe makes for good driving music when I'm fighting traffic and my road rage meter is well into the red. :realmad And this is from someone who was never a huge fan of SBS. I think the sort of rootsy / bluegrass-lite feel is a bonus for me, also Plant is a lot lower key (i.e. mostly mannerism-free) and that also makes for a good listening experience from time to time.

Aren't we a bit spoiled as Wilco fans? I think even people who aren't huge fans of W(TA) would still take it over 21st Century Breakdown, all things being equal... (which is likely to dominate most of the categories and probably win a few trophies, too...)

nothing confuses me more, or makes me feel more ambivalent than the Grammy's. First off, I feel for bands like Wilco or Radiohead when they do get nominated, because you have to show up and not look unappreciative. However, once you arrive you realize your music is being compared to contemporaries like late period Green Day. That has to be disheartening. (not that Green Day is awful, but on an artistic level it isn't quite the same)

I just don't understand how the top music awards can be completely oblivious to what true music geeks are listening to and appreciating. The Academy Awards will get behind artsy/indie movies, but not the Grammy's (unless it is some Cuban brass band that I'll never listen to anyway).

I don't know, it just seems weird to have an awards ceremony that is suppose to be honoring musicianship and art, but it seems you have to sell at least 300,000 copies to even get a listen. This isn't a music snob arguement, just more of an arguement on the blatant fact that in order to get tv viewership you have to invite the Black Eyed Peas.

I thought that album was great! Yeah, it's not a rocker but there are some great vocals and grooves implemented by two very different personalities...plus, T Bone Burnett is a hell of a producer. But, to each their own...

I just don't understand how the top music awards can be completely oblivious to what true music geeks are listening to and appreciating. The Academy Awards will get behind artsy/indie movies, but not the Grammy's (unless it is some Cuban brass band that I'll never listen to anyway).

THIS.

The Alternative Album category has nominated many worthy records over the years, but even that category is basically just nominating the most popular "indie" records. In in its 19 year history, all these artists have had multiple nominations:

PJ Harvey, Coldplay, Tori Amos, Beck, Nirvana/Foo Fighters, R.E.M., Radiohead/Thom Yorke, Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork, White Stripes, Fatboy Slim, Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie and The Cure.

Other artists who got a nomination over the years: The Replacements (All Shook Down), Richard Thompson (Rumor and Sigh), B-52's (Good Stuff), Morrissey (Your Arsenal), David Bowie (Earthling), Elvis Costello (Cruel Smile) and Paul McCartney (Liverpool Sound Collage).

It's as much a popularity contest as the Best Artist award. Yes, there SHOULD be a more "artsy/indie" category. Then maybe bands like Spoon, Okkervil River, Mountain Goats, Blitzen Trapper or many other great bands and their records would get deserving recognition.

You almost have to admire the Grammy voters' steadfast refusal to ever have a clue. How much easier it would be to listen just a little bit to what the rest of the world was praising (not with dollars, but reasoned arguments). How much easier to go out in the world and be congratulated for your choices, rather than universally sneered at and dismissed. But no, true to their convictions, against all odds, they consistently suck. It's impressive really.

You almost have to admire the Grammy voters' steadfast refusal to ever have a clue. How much easier it would be to listen just a little bit to what the rest of the world was praising (not with dollars, but reasoned arguments). How much easier to go out in the world and be congratulated for your choices, rather than universally sneered at and dismissed. But no, true to their convictions, against all odds, they consistently suck. It's impressive really.

was this true when AGIB won?

Minor point: I don't really think the Academy Awards are any more artsy/indie than the Grammys. Like the Grammys, the Oscars only nominate the most popular or visible indie flicks. I'd say that the Oscars are oblivious to what true movie geeks (like me) are watching and appreciating. When the Academy starts nominating titles like Private Fears in Public Places or Syndromes and a Century instead of the likes of Juno, then I might start taking the Oscars more seriously. (Not that I'm complaining. The Oscars are what they are, and they are perfectly fun on that level. It's always a mistake to get worked up about industry awards, since they've never been valuable barometers of artistic merit.)

How many categories have they been in now?

Best Americana Album

(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* Together Through Life

Bob Dylan

[Columbia]

* Electric Dirt

Levon Helm

[Dirt Farmer Music/Vanguard Records]

* Willie And The Wheel

Willie Nelson & Asleep At The Wheel

[bismeaux Records]

* Wilco (The Album)

Wilco

[Nonesuch]

* Little Honey

Lucinda Williams

[Lost Highway Records]

this isn't even trying. Lucinda's album isn't even in her top 5 of her career and the Willie album. cmon? They truly don't even listen.

Not to mention Wilco (the album) has very little to do with americana. wow