Holiday Decorations

Guest Speed Racer

I found a three foot high fake tree in our basement with lights in it. I wrap Christmas-themed pajama bottoms around the base of the tree.

My office goes all out. My cube is wrapped entirely in tinsel and garland, with ornaments dangling from both.

i am of the opinion that this is the appropriate time for decorating to start. any earlier and by the time xmas rolls around, it's all a pit passé.

i'm thinking our tree isn't going up this year if it's not up now... :hmm

do you decorate your appt evonne?

Love the Beatles ornament!

Thanks! It's one of my favorites on there. :cheers

Where are the kitties?!!?

Kitty ornaments, or the actual kitties? I have no kitty ornaments, and the tree is in the mud room this year so the real kitties don't have access to it. I got really tired of Jasper knocking it over and breaking ornaments last year.

I was so lazy last year that instead of dismantling the tree and putting it back into the box it came in, I just picked it up and deposited it, fully dressed with lights, into the garage. I retrieved it last week and shook it out only to find a whole immigrant community of spiders and assorted creepie crawlies falling out of it. Cue me, like an idiot, running the vacuum over the tree out in the yard. :blush

I was so lazy last year that instead of dismantling the tree and putting it back into the box it came in, I just picked it up and deposited it, fully dressed with lights, into the garage. I retrieved it last week and shook it out only to find a whole immigrant community of spiders and assorted creepie crawlies falling out of it. Cue me, like an idiot, running the vacuum over the tree out in the yard. :blush

There's actually an old european story about spiders and christmas trees...

(A folk legend from Germany and the Ukraine)

O nce upon a time, long ago, a gentle mother was busily cleaning the house for the most wonderful day of the year.... The day on which the Christ child came to bless the house. Not a speck of dust was left. Even the spiders had been banished from their cozy corner in the ceiling to avoid the housewife's busy cleaning. They finally fled to the farthest corner of the attic.

T'was the Christmas eve at last! The tree was decorated and waiting for the children to see it. But the poor spiders were frantic, for they could not see the tree, nor be present for the Christ child's visit. But the oldest and wisest spider suggested that perhaps they could peep through the crack in the door to see him. Silently they crept out of their attic, down the stairs, and across the floor to wait in the crack in the threshold. Suddenly, the door opened a wee bit and quickly the spiders scurried into the room. They must see the tree closely, since their eyes weren't accustomed to the brightness of the room... so the crept all over the tree, up and down, over every branch and twig and saw every one of the pretty things. At last they satisfied themselves completely of the Christmas tree beauty.

But alas!! Everywhere they went they had left their webs, and when the little Christ child came to bless the house he was dismayed. He loved the little spiders, for they were God's creatures too, but he knew the mother, who had trimmed the tree for the little children, wouldn't feel the same, so He touched the webs and they all turned to sparkling, shimmering, silver and gold!

Ever since that time, we have hung tinsel on our christmas trees, and according to the legend, it has been a custom to include a spider among the decorations on the tree.

although the German one i read had Father Christmas come by the house and make the tinsel, not the Christ Child, which frankly MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. But whatever.