I can't help but be excited for today's big Apple event. I've never owned a Windows PC - my dad bought the first Mac in 1984 and we've never since bought a computer from a different manufacturer. Once Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1997, I always got excited for all the Macworld conferences and special events the company hosted over the years. There was one Apple store in the entire Midwest (at Woodfield Mall) back in 2001, and I was first in line to buy an iPod the day it came out. (there were actually only about 10 people there - plenty of folks thought the thing was going to flop - this was before Apple and iTunes were giants of multiple industries)

So needless to say, despite being 100% sure I will not be buying a tablet put out by Apple, I am excited to see what they are going to do. Say what you will about Steve Jobs, but he knows how to spot a good idea when he sees one, and then has the ability to refine that idea to something simple and (I think) elegant. There was nothing really new about the original Mac, the original iPod, or the original iPhone when they came out - all the tech was out there already - but in each case it was Steve's eternal pursuit of perfection and simplicity that made the difference.

Anyway, 10AM Pacific Time and we'll know what the next big thing (or not) is.

012324-01-27-10apptabprtop.jpg

i'm excited about it too.

at my house we've always run pc, but 2 years ago i bought my macbook, and now i hate working on the pc at home.

granted, i don't really know how to DO much on my mac other than import into itunes, surf the interweb, and type school work in pages.

Guest Speed Racer

What's the elite version going to be called, the iPad Maxi?

I love Macs, and I really hope this is all it's cracked up to be. I got a 2004 Powerbook, but I recently bought a PC laptop so I could work remotely from home when I needed to, and I've (not surprisingly) had nothing but trouble with it. Sadly, my next computer will likely be a school-issue PC laptop, so I'm going to have to wait a while for another Mac. If the tablet is really bitchin' though, I might have to find room in my budget.

Guest Speed Racer

I'm underwhelmed.

One immediate drawback I see regards videos: laptops can hold themselves up. This requires one or two hands to watch a movie on an airplane. Likewise, two-handed typing would require the user to sit at an awkward angle.

Guest Speed Racer

Is it really called the iPad? That is not a great name, no matter what it might do.

I know! Unlimited plays on the name; maybe they thought of it as a viral marketing technique?

Did you hear it comes with a stick to write directly on the screen? It's called a Tap-On.

Pricing:

Just Wi-Fi:

16GB - $499

32GB - $599

64GB - $699

With 3G radio:

16GB - $629

32GB - $729

64GB - $829

About what I expected. I'm not sure I see many people going for the 16 GB model when you can quadruple your memory for only $200 more.

I'm underwhelmed.

One immediate drawback I see regards videos: laptops can hold themselves up. This requires one or two hands to watch a movie on an airplane. Likewise, two-handed typing would require the user to sit at an awkward angle.

Looks like there is a case that will flip open to stand the iPad up for viewing.

Also has a keyboard with an attached stand.

I guess the recession is over if people have money to spend on this thing.

Guest Speed Racer

Looks like there is a case that will flip open to stand the iPad up for viewing.

Also has a keyboard with an attached stand.

Eh, so do laptops.

I always thought that either the laptop or the smartphone would bridge the gap between the laptop and the smartphone. And how big IS the gap, anyway?

Surely many people will purchase these, but the gap between my iPod Touch and my laptop is pretty small.

I think the correct response is to wait a year for version two. Let the early adopters cut their teeth on it while developers come out with cool applications. It's a nice device for what it is, if you've got a laptop and a smartphone, its a hard sell. My opinion may change once I actually get to hold one.

Guest Speed Racer

The beauty of the iPhone and the iPod Touch are that they are wicked convenient and just the right size for killing time. I carry my iPod in my pocket, and I can easily whip it out and play a quick game when I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get ready, check my email standing in a long line or have a clandestine Word Scramble show-down with my co-worker. I keep grocery lists on it, because it's no bigger than an index card. The iPad doesn't have that kind of portability or stealth; if I were to bring it out with me, I'd put it in a bag, which means I would put more crap in the bag too, which means I may as well just bring my laptop. I guess I'm still unclear who the iPad is being marketed to, if anyone other than someone who just thinks it's cool.

I would say people who use their laptop to do things (but not super intensive things) on the subway/train but want something a little smaller/portable. Otherwise, it does seem like you probably would either want to use a laptop or iPhone.

All 7 of them?

Haha. I don't have one, but I think a lot of people in NYC do. Or, I see a decent number of them on the train in the am. I am always confused about the appeal, but I suppose it would be cool to have your newspapers, magazines, and book on one device that is easy (or easier) on the eyes. I guess if you add in email, internet, apps, etc., then there's your audience.

Well, I will wait until there is some kind of Device Unity Point, so my phone, music, books, e-mail, dirty webchats, and garage-door opener can all be controlled with one unit which can conveniently interface with my brain via the lower intestine. 2012?

Well, I will wait until there is some kind of Device Unity Point, so my phone, music, books, e-mail, dirty webchats, and garage-door opener can all be controlled with one unit which can conveniently interface with my brain via the lower intestine. 2012?

I'm waiting on the iEye. Contact lenses that filter out all the bad and fill in the view with good stuff.