Obladi Oblada, Why all the hate?

no hate here!. i love it. its one of the first Beatles tunes i ever heard and i still love it. i love the bit when the drums come in

That's the thing with me, too, is it was one of the first (at least one of the first memories I have) of being exposed to the Beatles. I was pretty damn young, too. It's like "Yellow Submarine." Every kid loves that song (don't believe me bring it into any pre-school or kindergarten classroom and play it once). You can't hate on a tune that you remember so fondly from your youth....

I think John is on record saying that is the worst song the Beatles ever did. I'll try to find a link, but if he did say that, then that is probably the main reason for the hate.

John was so bitter and cynical in the early 70's that one can't take anything he said in that period completely at face value.

As for Revolution though, I knew he was saying "in" and frankly I think that's what makes the song for me. When John says "out (in)" I just about lose it every time.

That's another great story, how John was worried if "The Revolution" did take place, and he had a violent hoard ready to execute him for wanting to be "counted out", he would save his hide by saying to them "But no, I really wanted to be counted in! Listen to it!"

Paranoia strikes deep.

John was so bitter and cynical in the early 70's that one can't take anything he said in that period completely at face value.

He was pretty brutal talking about many of his old songs as well.

I think Maxwells silver hammer must be about the least popular Beatles song? I know the other Beatles hated it.

He was pretty brutal talking about many of his old songs as well.

I think Maxwells silver hammer must be about the least popular Beatles song? I know the other Beatles hated it.

I've always loved this song, although it's true that the other Beatles loathed it, I think mostly because it was the most costly Beatle song they ever recorded and Paul made them do take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take until they hated it with a passion. Gotta love the clang clang on the anvil though!

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da was worked on more than Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

I don't know about the whole hate deal. If we are going by what we see in the Let It Be film, that is pretty much how it went everyday (from what I have seen and read) regardless of the song.

I look at Abbey Road as a whole complete album. All the songs are fine to me.

That's another great story, how John was worried if "The Revolution" did take place, and he had a violent hoard ready to execute him for wanting to be "counted out", he would save his hide by saying to them "But no, I really wanted to be counted in! Listen to it!"

Paranoia strikes deep.

Huh, that's certainly how I interpreted it myself, but I didn't know that I was right. Very cool. Always struck me as an emotionally bare hedged bet. With typical Lennon flair. Turns the whole song and the complexity of the issue upside down with one throwaway word. As I said, it slays me.

I've always loved this song, although it's true that the other Beatles loathed it, I think mostly because it was the most costly Beatle song they ever recorded and Paul made them do take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take take after take after take until they hated it with a passion. Gotta love the clang clang on the anvil though!

Paul also worked them to death on "I Will." I think Ringo went nuts from having to play a f*ckin' woodblock for 167 takes.

It's actually "Arm, Leg" at that part. When "Molly let's the children lend a hand" John(?) says "foot". I misremembered it, but nonetheless it is there.

1:42

After the line "lets the children lend a hand", the first time George says "arm", John says "leg"

2:33

After the line "lets the children lend a hand", the second time John says "foot".

You'll probably appreciate this website:

http://wgo.signal11.org.uk/wgo.htm

Oh my! I've never heard of this site and it is playing into my obsessive tendencies. There's not enough free hours in the day for me to enjoy this! And yet, I'll try.