What Would You Rather Hear/Have?

67 members have voted

1. 1. If Wilco were to release one of the following, which would you prefer?

• A box set of all unreleased material, rarities, b-sides, outtakes, etc. from recording sessions for each album
    • Pay-per-show digital downloads of multi-track recordings of every gig ever played

I already have more than enough live Wilco, and I'm more of a studio guy anyway, so choice #1 easily.

Guest Runaway Jim

While Wilco is amazing live, they just aren't really a "release every live show" kind of band. They don't jam, and thus, you're getting the same thing over and over and over again, for the most part.

While Wilco is amazing live, they just aren't really a "release every live show" kind of band. They don't jam, and thus, you're getting the same thing over and over and over again, for the most part.

Hence the hypothetical question...and why I said "there's only so many similar-sounding versions of 'Handshake Drugs' or 'I'm the Man Who Loves You' I can hear." But there are other people out there who go mad for the live recordings...descending like vultures the day after a show or a webcast looking for a copy.

Imagine how great this would be for example....

AGIB Box set including:

-Original Album

-Vinyl Album

-Some artsy coffee table book

-Bonus disc of 10 - 15 unreleased songs

-EP Bonus disc

-Bonus live disc of 10 - 15 live songs

-DVD consisting of live performances/documentary

Imagine how great this would be for example....

AGIB Box set including:

-Original Album

-Vinyl Album

-Some artsy coffee table book

-Bonus disc of 10 - 15 unreleased songs

-EP Bonus disc

-Bonus live disc of 10 - 15 live songs

-DVD consisting of live performances/documentary

Isn't all of that stuff already out there with the Wilco Book and the itunes bonus EP's or was that your point?

--Mike

P.S.: Aside from the documentary and live performances of course.

Isn't all of that stuff already out there with the Wilco Book and the itunes bonus EP's or was that your point?

--Mike

P.S.: Aside from the documentary and live performances of course.

haha good point, I just used AGIB as an example, that type of set for each studio album would be sick

Ha. I didn't know what you meant, until I read it.

I thought another wish of mine came true. :shifty

But no, they need to release the 12 minute live version of Misunderstood from Nov 22,1995. It's out there somewhere. I have it on my iPod but not on my iTunes.

It's actually under an old playlist titled "First Time Live". Kingpin, Remember The Mountain Bed, Nothing'sever, Sunken Treasure, & When You Wake Up Feeling Old are in their too. I'm not sure how accurate these are as being "First Time". EDIT: Well, the 1st Misunderstood I have is from Oct. 7, 1995 and that according to Wilcobase is the 1st time.

Pretty sure I got all of these through here. Whoever is good at searching for files within a thread can lead us into temptation.

Edit Part Deux: (my playlist, obviously)

Kingpin: 1st time Wilco Maxwell's 10/25/95

Remember The Mountain Bed: 1st time: Jeff Lounge Ax, 1/4/00

Nothing'sever: 1st time Jeff Lounge Ax 3/25/98

Sunken Treasure: 2nd time: Wilco Laguna Seca Raceway 5/25/96

When You Wake Up Feeling Old: 1st time Jeff Lounge Ax 11/12/98

Pete Townsend for a while was putting out vinyl called "Scoops" which were old demo tracks, failed audio experiments, and earlier versions of stuff that became something else. These would be the Wilco nuggets to mine some day. Tweedy soloing on cassette late one night, or the experiments the band has done recording, which he talked about in interviews -- like creating "real-time" albums, etc. A chance to hear the creative process behind it all. It's not daily, repeated listening, but it would provide a great landscape from which to appreciate the music all the more.

Guest Runaway Jim

^ Yes, that is exactly what I would want. I would love to hear some recordings of Tweedy's first cuts of songs. I imagine much, if not all, would be him and an acoustic, which is how I like him best anyway. If those exist, I'd pay for them for sure. I'd also love to hear the whole band noodling in the studio.

I'd prefer it be in one box set, and not individual box sets for each album. And personally, I don't want anything but the CDs of the music. I don't buy vinyl, I don't care what kind of case it comes in, etc.

Sure, it could happen. There's a UT Anthology that Tweedy supported (I believe).

...and to me, at least, it was a bit of a disappointment, save for a few unreleased tracks and/or alternate versions. There's got to be much more in the Uncle Tupelo archives, but I'm sure that's a can of worms we don't really want to open.

Guest Runaway Jim

I like the UT Anthology. I usually just listen to their albums, but everyone once in a while, I throw the Anthology on. I'm sure glad to have those versions of I Wanna Be Your Dog & Looking For A Way Out. But yes, I'd rather have them release an entire disc of just rare songs, rare versions, etc.

I like the UT Anthology. I usually just listen to their albums, but everyone once in a while, I throw the Anthology on. I'm sure glad to have those versions of I Wanna Be Your Dog & Looking For A Way Out. But yes, I'd rather have them release an entire disc of just rare songs, rare versions, etc.

Agreed. I've got a few UT live recordings of varying quality that aren't bad, including a show from the Blue Note in Columbia, MO from 1988. My copy of No Depression just crapped out on me this morning during the commute...every track was skipping.