RIP Mark Linkous ... of Sparklehorse

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spoke to an old friend in Richmond and it sounds like folks are pretty shaken up, also and not to make light of the situation in any way, but people there in the know said that he had been battling a heavy drug addiction for quite some time now. It could certainly be a component, one way or another though, still tragic news.

What a truly sad piece of news. Depression is such a horrible and debilitation illness. The pain that one feels in their mind is the worst kind. My thoughts go out to Mark's family and all those effected by this sad news.

As a aside, didn't Vic Chestnut also tak ehis own life recently? I can imagine Mark and Vic recording that track for the DNOTs record (Grim Augery) under such mental stress and it breaks my heart.

"Sometimes days go speeding past

sometimes this one seems like the last

it's a sad and beautiful world

it's a sad and beautiful world"

Sad news. RIP, man. :ohwell

shooting himself in the heart in the alley behind a friend's house...just days after the Soul legal thing cleared up?

there has to be more to this.

makes me wonder if the record label was asking him to do stuff he didn't want to do to promote that release?

shooting himself in the heart in the alley behind a friend's house...just days after the Soul legal thing cleared up?

makes me wonder if the record label was asking him to do stuff he didn't want to do to promote that release?

The guy had suffered from depression for years, and he already died, 13 years ago, from a drug overdose. I think that's the "more" to it.

Suicide is very often the end result of a non- or inadequately treated case of severe depression. An outside stressor could have influenced the timing, maybe. I don't know.

Don't think so. His issues with depression and drugs have been well documented. He almost died on tour with Radiohead in the late nineties, and I remember reading him discussing going through a serious phase of depression right after It's a Wonderful Life came out.

or to put it more succinctly

The guy had suffered from depression for years, and he already died, 13 years ago, from a drug overdose. I think that's the "more" to it.

I've been struggling with this news all day. Listening to every single thing that Mark recorded. Only a few artists have ever made me feel the way Mark's music did.

And now he's gone.

RIP, Mark..."go on...get in your happy place"

This seems to be getting sadder and sadder...

Knoxville Police Department spokesman Darrell DeBusk said Linkous shot himself outside a friend's house around 1:20 p.m. Saturday with his own rifle. DeBusk said Linkous was staying with friends and became upset after receiving a text message.

DeBusk said Linkous left no suicide note behind. The North Carolina-based artist was moving to Knoxville and staying with two friends, who told police Linkous was drinking and became upset after texting with an unknown person.

After saying he didn't want to talk about what was upsetting him, the friends said Linkous went upstairs for a short time, then left the house through a back door. A witness saw Linkous sit down nearby, take out his rifle, place it against his chest and pull the trigger.

2006 interview with Linkous:Feature: Sparklehorse

Eulogy from Atheist Climber: There’s a Star For You – RIP Mark Linkous

--Mike

Geeze.... :ohwell

The fact that it looks like it was one slight thing that triggered one final, intense moment of depression makes it all the more tragic. And the fact that it just happened...in the middle of the day? Man...

Shit, I've been through pretty bad depression. But nothing that's made me even consider putting a bullet through my chest. I cannot even imagine Mark's pain. Nor do I ever want to. Cliche as it is, I honestly hope he's found some sort of happiness. For all the great music he gave me, he deserves it.

:ohwell

Very Sad! I know he had some trouble in the past but I thought he had cleaned up. I met him in Austin a few years ago after a show he stayed and signed every ones posters very humble. i told him how much the album Good Morning Spider meant to me and he was really touched, he signed my poster, Thanks for all your support through the years Brett, love you Mark!

wayne of the flaming lips said some nice words about Mark (and elliott smith) at the show on Saturday, then dedicated Waitin for Superman to them.

the text message was the 'more' i guess. weird to think that something like that could do that.