• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't stop listening to these guys:

Surfer-Blood-Astro-Coast-300x300.jpg

It's not your typical "surf rock". They sort of have a Weezer, Indie pop sound. Mix that with the surf style guitar leads, and these guys are just awesome.. I had the pleasure of seeing them at a VERY small club in Charlotte last month. It was probably one of the loudest shows I've been to. Completely melted my face off. Definitely give these guys a listen.

^^ good record

caught them open for Art Brut in October and they were pretty fun, esp. for such young guys. picked up a copy of the self-released version of Astro Coast at that show as well w/ alternate artwork

Surfer Blood is getting a lot of indie/message board buzz.

I've heard two songs and both are really good. Between that, and the continued buzz, I'm thinking that I need to pick this one up.

Surfer Blood is getting a lot of indie/message board buzz.

I've heard two songs and both are really good. Between that, and the continued buzz, I'm thinking that I need to pick this one up.

Wise choice. Ha, I sound like I'm on their street team or something, but it really is a good album. I love the recording quality too. It's very raw (some would even say bad), but it fits them perfectly.

i think the production on it is quite good for a band of their age/size actually

Yeah, it's good quality but it's just kind of dirty sounding. Especially on certain songs the drums are drowned out by the guitars. But again, I think it fits their sound. They sounded the same live... Loud and dirty. :rock

new Gaslight Anthem 'American Slang' is out June 15th:

cover.jpg

[/font]
[font="Monaco,"]American Slang
Stay Lucky
Bring It On
The Diamond Church Street Choir
The Queen of Lower Chelsea
Orphans
Boxer
Old Haunts
The Spirit of Jazz
We Did It When We Were Young[/font]
[font="Monaco,"]

there's talk on the internets that the single (the title track) might be played on some radio stations today, but apparently the release date of it is in early April dancing_geek.gif

That is good cover art

yeah i dig it too.

apparently it's all photos the band took on tour cheers.gif

lyrics:

Look what you started

I seem to be coming out of my skin

And look what you’ve forgotten here

The bandages just don't keep me in

And when it was over

I woke up alone

And when it was over

I woke up alone

And they cut me to ribbons and taught me to drown

I got your named tattooed inside of my arm

And I called for my father but my father had died

Oh, while you told me fortunes in American Slang

And look at the damage

The fortunes came for the richer men

Whilst we’re left with gallows

Just waiting for us liers to come down and hang

And when it was over

I woke up alone

And when it was over

I woke up alone

Oh, while you told me fortunes in American Slang

And here’s where we died that time last year

And where the angels and devils meet

And you can dance with the queen if you need

And she will always keep her cards close to her heart

Oh, so close to her heart

Before they tear you apart

And we called for our fathers but our fathers had died

And you told us fortunes in American Slang

And you told me fortunes in American Slang

he's only done it on a couple songs in the past tho?

just saying based on one song, who knows that he's "past it" on this album? ;)

not really...every song minus 1 or 2 off of The '59 Sound had a bunch of references in them.

I just read a few months back in an interview that this record was going to focus more on him and his experiences instead of the more overarching stuff. we shall see though.

ps - is the new gayngs track going to be on The Current at midnight? am i understanding that correctly?

not really...every song minus 1 or 2 off of The '59 Sound had a bunch of references in them.

I just read a few months back in an interview that this record was going to focus more on him and his experiences instead of the more overarching stuff. we shall see though.

ps - is the new gayngs track going to be on The Current at midnight? am i understanding that correctly?

i'll have to listen more closely, but i only recall 3-4 times on '59 Sound and not too many on Sink or Swim

as for GAYNGS, that's what i was told, but i wouldn't stay up late if you don't usually... at the very least the podcast 'song of the day' will be available tomorrow morning very early (like 5am)

new Blitzen Trapper song called 'Heaven and Earth' off their new album 'Destroyer of the Void' due out June 8th:

it's pretty decent i guess... not blowing me away really, but pretty nice production on it at least.

new National single debuts tomorrow night on BBC Radio 6 as well...

TOO MUCH GREAT NEW MUSIC 13.gif

hear the first track off of the upcoming GAYNGS album 'Relayted' due out 5/11 (digital download for pre-orders on 4:20):

The Gaudy Side of Town:

This song features members of Megafaun on guitar/bass/drums, Justin Veron (Bon Iver) on vocals, Zach Coulter (Solid Gold) on vocals, and Mike Lewis on sax. total Sade vibe going on imo. music.gif

Has anybody mentioned the new Rufus Wainwright record that comes out in April? I think it's called something like "Songs For Lulu" or something of that nature.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten he had a new one coming out. He is pretty fantastic.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten he had a new one coming out. He is pretty fantastic.

i found a leak today of his new record "all the days are nights: songs for lulu" on google today!

:ninja

so good! the song "when i most wink" is amazing. he's got a voice like no other.