2010 New Releases

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At this point, the album I think I am most curious/hopeful for is the new Broken Social Scene album. The BSS presents albums were okay and the last BSS album was good, I am just hoping for something great or better this time around.

totally agree... they're due for something truly great

it's amazing... WAY WAY better than their last record (which was in my top 10 of 2007), and is def my #2 on the year behind Beach House. but it's an album that takes some patience i suppose. it's been even more rewarding the more times i spin it too.

my friend Josh just reviewed it today and did a great job w/ his review i thought:

http://www.reviler.org/2010/02/15/the-besnard-lakes-the-besnard-lakes-are-the-roaring-night-review/

i still think that's Justin Vernon singing at the beginning of Chicago Train, as he tweeted about being anxious to hear the album...

also, speaking of Justin, Related by a project/group called Gayngs is my most anticipated album of the year at the moment. got to hear a sneak preview of it a few weeks ago and it blew me away. should be released around the end of April or early May.

it's amazing... WAY WAY better than their last record (which was in my top 10 of 2007), and is def my #2 on the year behind Beach House. but it's an album that takes some patience i suppose. it's been even more rewarding the more times i spin it too.

i still think that's Justin Vernon singing at the beginning of Chicago Train, as he tweeted about being anxious to hear the album...

I liked Albatross...looking forward to the new album. What is Gayngs like?

I liked Albatross...looking forward to the new album. What is Gayngs like?

hmm... R&B/electro/soul slow jams? it's pretty crazy, but also very infectious/catchy too. it's going to be interesting to see how it's received but the sheer amount of guests on the album is amazing. there's very little info about the project on the web so far, but i'm sure they'll be announcing it any week now.

hmm... R&B/electro/soul slow jams? it's pretty crazy, but also very infectious/catchy too. it's going to be interesting to see how it's received but the sheer amount of guests on the album is amazing. there's very little info about the project on the web so far, but i'm sure they'll be announcing it any week now.

Definitely sounds interesting. Be sure to keep us posted if you hear more.

also, speaking of Justin, Related by a project/group called Gayngs is my most anticipated album of the year at the moment. got to hear a sneak preview of it a few weeks ago and it blew me away. should be released around the end of April or early May.

this is justin + a lot of musicians from the Triangle in north carolina, right? Megafaun, Rosebuds etc?

this is justin + a lot of musicians from the Triangle in north carolina, right? Megafaun, Rosebuds etc?

well... you're right on Megafaun and Ivan from The Rosebuds, but a majority of the 20+ guest artists are all local Twin Cities/Eau Claire based musicians, but some of our finest... Justin is the prominent vocalist on the record, but the man behind the project is mostly Ryan Olson, a local Eau Claire musician/producer who is in the bands Digitata, Mel Gibson & The Pants among others.

well... you're right on Megafaun and Ivan from The Rosebuds, but a majority of the 20+ guest artists are all local Twin Cities/Eau Claire based musicians, but some of our finest... Justin is the prominent vocalist on the record, but the man behind the project is mostly Ryan Olson, a local Eau Claire musician/producer who is in the bands Digitata, Mel Gibson & The Pants among others.

oh very cool. definitely lookin forward to that.

while i wasn't looking forward to it, i barely got through one listen...

I thought it was okay, but was kind of glad when it finished. I had mega high expectations set down by ...Dark Horse. I really love that album and was, rather unfairly, expecting more of the same, or at least in a similar vein. Sadly this one, for me, lacked the subtlety and nuance of its predecessor. It just seemed to be an exercise in taking lots of different routes to get to the same squalling guitar climax. I kept waiting for some variation, only it never arrived.

The 2010 release I'm looking forward to the most is Centro-matic's new album, which supposedly is done (or will soon be). There was also lots of talk about a live DVD coming out last autumn, but obviously that didn't happen. This once-prolific band has slowed to a crawl in the last few years. The lack of news is distressing. Even Misra Records is mum on the topic (of course, keeping fans updated about new and upcoming releases has never been their forte). I know Will is busy with side-project stuff (Monsters of Folk tour, some sort of Woody Guthrie thing, and god knows what else). I just hope he isn't going to make this side stuff his main gig.

:no

I gotta agree with Solace here...The Besnard Lakes album is fabulous! I enjoyed it immensely the first time through and it just gets better with each listen. The Beach House record is a keeper too. ;)