Wilco-3/23/2010 Clearwater Setlist

That posted setlist is amazing. They had Theologians on there originally, which would have made it 34 songs. They actually PLANNED a 34-song set! Unbelievable. Thank you, Wilco.

Markbot is right, that was like a $500 show for $40. Here's hoping they don't read this and jack up the ticket prices to where we can't afford them. :lol

By the way, for the poster who asked about Magazine Called Sunset: the available version that Wilco offered as a free download is a very mellow, keyboard-heavy version, much different from the power pop way they play it live now. For a version that sounds like what you heard last night, you'll have to seek out a live recording.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These acoustic sets sound awesome... I would kill for a good recording of one of these shows, or if Wilco was to release one for download...

Personally, I liked the 4 antique-design floor lamps they brought out & lit up for the acoustic set.

Wonder if it should really be called an "acoustic" set since it's not completely unplugged.

I recall Jeff saying its the kinda the way they play when they just get together or when they play backstage. maybe they should call it the "floor lamp" set :lol

Also loved the automated voice introduction of each member of the band at the tail end of Wilco (the Song)

I had not heard them do that before and it was kinda cool.

These acoustic sets sound awesome... I would kill for a good recording of one of these shows, or if Wilco was to release one for download...

I think I saw a couple mike stands up at the mixing desk at the rear of the hall. Hopefully somebody with top notch gear pulled it in.

Among the best shows I've seen. I took my old buddy Don, and he has seen many legendary acts: the Velvet Underground in '69, Paul McCartney, Dylan...yet he was blown away. He said One Wing and YAMF were great songs, and after Via Chicago, he just said, "Wow!" Always fun seeing a Wilco virgin get their socks knocked off.

The sit/stand thing wasn't really a big issue in our area (sixth row). People who wanted to sit - or who caved to "peer pressure" - sat, and many people stood. With that great stadium seating in REH, you can have people stand in front of you and not detract from your sitting enjoyment. In fact, there were two cute young girls (and one gorgeous one), who all looked about 18, dancing in the fourth row for much of the show, and no one seemed to mind. The crowd was respectful but enthusiastic, and where we were, we never heard or saw any drunk assholes being disruptive, causing problems, etc., which has been the case at most of the GA shows I've attended. The vibe in Clearwater was fine. (See my comments in Just a Fan for how I thought it would go. I was right). And, as Elixir Sue noted, Jeff finally said, "I know you're all going to want to stand up eventually," right before HMD, and the whole audience stood and/or danced from there on out.

Song highlights:

- Magazine (Hilarious intro from Jeff about how it's one of the most popular requests online but then no one seems to know it at the shows. He said one of the crew goes on their website and requests it for every city. Heh heh. I will cop to requesting it here).

- Bob Dylan's Beard. Total shocker to hear that.

- Laminated: One of my old faves from the three times I saw them during the '02 tour, and this acoustic version was beautiful AND still rocked at the same time.

- Spiders: I hated the Krautrock arrangement, and this was a nice hybrid of Jeff's acoustic version and the original arrangement.

Other random highlights:

- They did that giving away 2 dinners thing that they did in Miami. Very funny.

- Jeff running in place while simultaneously swinging the microphone during Hummingbird.

- Crowd doing quite a good job on the Jesus, etc. singalong. My friend and I both looked back at the crowd during this, and seems like everyone had a smile on their face.

- Jeff threatening to do a stage dive. :lol

- Glenn apparently had some technical problem right before a song, and Jeff began breaking his balls about it, while the tech fixed it. "What are you doing back there? Are you ready? Keep talking? Okay...There's something wrong with the tube that goes into his drum. Okay, are you ready now?" Words to that effect. You can imagine that with a group of guys that size, there's a lot of ball-breaking on the road, and this was one of those funny, unrehearsed moments.

Overall, like I said in my previous post, this was an epic show. I couldn't believe they played 32 tunes without leaving the stage once, and still came back for a 1-song encore. The closest thing they had to a break was when they were giving away free dinners. Last night's show didn't meet my expectations. It surpassed them.

Nice review..I was Row f...off center in front of Nels....Must have missed you.....We meet in Jacksonville in 2008.

I did actually record the show...but I had some equipment problems so i will see if I can fix.

Nice review..I was Row f...off center in front of Nels....Must have missed you.....We meet in Jacksonville in 2008.

I did actually record the show...but I had some equipment problems so i will see if I can fix.

Please do your very very best :lol

Wilco does it again!!

They played Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center 5 years ago and it was fantastic. The show last night was absolutely amazing. Spiders acoustic was my favorite of the night. I can't wait to find a recording of it.

But seriously...How do we get them to include the Tampa area more often? 5 years?? FIVE!!

I'd love to see a Jeff Tweedy show in one of our smaller venues sometime too. I loved Sunken Treasure. Maybe since the Clearwater show sold out so quickly they'll think about us more often. haha.

(btw I'm a newb here....hello everybody!!)

I think I saw a couple mike stands up at the mixing desk at the rear of the hall. Hopefully somebody with top notch gear pulled it in.

I taped both FL shows and will try to have Miami up tomorrow, possibly Friday on etree.org. Security were very nice to me in Clearwater, however, they explained that if anyone complained about the mic stand, I'd have to take it down. And frankly, the crowd did indeed seem a bit reserved. I decided to set up at the soundboard. Too bad as the recording would have sounded much better from my seats up close. I saw a guy complaining to security because two people were standing "sort of" if front of him and he thought they should be seated. If you don't enjoy rock concerts...stay home. At least that's my $.02.

(Equipment used: Schoeps MK41>KC5>CMC6>Grace Lunatec V2>Sound Devices 744t.)

I taped both FL shows and will try to have Miami up tomorrow, possibly Friday on etree.org. Security were very nice to me in Clearwater, however, they explained that if anyone complained about the mic stand, I'd have to take it down. And frankly, the crowd did indeed seem a bit reserved. I decided to set up at the soundboard. Too bad as the recording would have sounded much better from my seats up close. I saw a guy complaining to security because two people were standing "sort of" if front of him and he thought they should be seated. If you don't enjoy rock concerts...stay home. At least that's my $.02.

Stu...you are the man with the Rolls Royce Equipment....good for you...I am sure they came out great....Thanks a lot.

I have the R09 with Church Mics and Pre...but I messed up my settings....so Clearwater came out bad and I did not tape MIA because I saw 2 stands up.

So thanks again and I will be checking E-Tree

Cannot wait for the downloads.

I was at both the Miami and Clearwater shows and I have to agree with those that posted about the differences in the two shows. The Miami show was General Admission and they let everyone into the pit who wanted to stand there. Most people did and the audience seemed to respond really well, standing the whole show (I admit my vantage point for this show was better, almost up front) and the band responded well, even pulling up a young fan to sing and play with them on "California Stars." Clearwater, on the other hand, had no pit, and the ushers made sure everyone made it to the seats printed on their tickets. This certainly must have contributed to the "reserved" vibe I think everyone felt. There were some who got up to dance in their seats early on though. On courageous woman in my section was yelled at to sit down. Without blinking, she turned and responded to those yelling, "No, f****rs, you stand up." I think Jeff would have appreciated her style. I know I did. Both great, great shows.

what is this dinner giveaway thing about?

The band has someone poll the crowd before the show to take requests (or I guess the online requests at wilcoworld.com are used too). Whichever songs win, Jeff announces that one of the people requesting it (determined pre-show) wins dinner for 2 at a local restaurant.

The band has someone poll the crowd before the show to take requests (or I guess the online requests at wilcoworld.com are used too). Whichever songs win, Jeff announces that one of the people requesting it (determined pre-show) wins dinner for 2 at a local restaurant.

Yeah, if I heard him right, the first one he announced was Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Heh heh.

Jeff and Pat went acoustic, Nels was lap, and John played both a stand up bass, and - I think - an electric bass. Glenn pulled out a mini drum set with a lot of percussion, and Mikel played piano and keyboards. At least from what I can remember, and SPIDERS was fantastic!!! Oh, and the set was played under floor lamps, in which Nels knocked one over (the guy gets so into it, even on the slower numbers!) Bob

John on stand up! Wow, that is definitely something new, at least as far as I'm aware.

Can't speak to what happened in Clearwater, but I posted some more details about the "acoustic set" in the Miami show thread. Technically it's not all acoustic. A more apt term, I think, would be "stripped down."

In Miami, John switched between mostly an electric bass and occasionally sort of a slimline standup one (it's definitely not a full-size standup). Mikael played mostly keyboard and broke out an accordion on Hesitating Beauty. Pat played keyboard, acoustic guitar, banjo and even xylophone briefly (covering the end part on Kamera). Nels switched between acoustic guitar and lap steel. Glenn had a stripped-down kit. Jeff, of course, played his acoustic guitars.

one recording has been posted by suites in the "In a Future Age" section of the forums. As he admits, it isn't the best recording but it'll hold us till someone posts a better one. It's not all that bad really...just sounds a little far away.

one recording has been posted by suites in the "In a Future Age" section of the forums. As he admits, it isn't the best recording but it'll hold us till someone posts a better one. It's not all that bad really...just sounds a little far away.

My recording usually come out better but I had the Low Cut on instead of off....so it messed it up.

In Miami, John switched between mostly an electric bass and occasionally sort of a slimline standup one (it's definitely not a full-size standup). Mikael played mostly keyboard and broke out an accordion on Hesitating Beauty. Pat played keyboard, acoustic guitar, banjo and even xylophone briefly (covering the end part on Kamera). Nels switched between acoustic guitar and lap steel. Glenn had a stripped-down kit. Jeff, of course, played his acoustic guitars.

These descriptions are all a good overview of what they basically did during the "lampshade" part of the show. Also, in Clearwater they basically switched to that mode at the end of Poor Places and then switched back to full electric mode during the beginning of Airline to Heaven. It was pretty outrageous.

Could you post a link to your recording?

I was at both shows as well and I still can't stop thinking about it!