Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the review at Spin: "grooming their jam-band shagginess and spotlighting their songwriting chops, Philadelphia indie poppers Dr. Dog produce a clean, big-sounding album that uncannily evokes Summerteeth-era Wilco and Soft Bulletin–era Flaming Lips." Full review here.

That's funny. I played a buddy of mine, who had never listened to the band, Shame, Shame and he immediately thought of the Lips.

I don't really hear it. Maybe a little, I guess.

I got the deluxe edition on iTunes this morning and gave it a first listen earlier. I really like it, both musically and lyrically, and all three of the bonus tracks were worth the extra $2. It flows better than Fate did, in my opinion. I'll probably give it another listen as soon as I'm done listening to the new Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings album (which isn't as good, unfortunately).

it's good, but not as good as Fate.

This is my feeling so far. The hooks aren't as hooky and lyrics not as memorable. The first lyric that is memorable is on the second half, maybe track 7.

With Fate, I immediately liked it and remembered lyrics.

Then again, it was also my first exposure to the band so I guess Fate basically set my Dr Dog template in my head.

I just got a new vehicle and I'm trying to adjust to the stereo, so sonically it might not be represented well to me yet.

This is my feeling so far. The hooks aren't as hooky and lyrics not as memorable. The first lyric that is memorable is on the second half, maybe track 7.

With Fate, I immediately liked it and remembered lyrics.

Then again, it was also my first exposure to the band so I guess Fate basically set my Dr Dog template in my head.

I just got a new vehicle and I'm trying to adjust to the stereo, so sonically it might not be represented well to me yet.

Man, I think it blows Fate out of the water (and I loved Fate). I think it's the best thing they've done.

Yeah this album is amazing. The Scott songs are very strong, especially 4. Unbearable Why, 5. Where'd All the Time Go... Mirror Mirror.. And of course you've got the exquisite bass grooves from Mr. Leaman (my favorite bass player.. probably of all time). Also think it blows Fate out of the water. It's hard to say it's their best album because they are all great, but it's definitely my favorite.. right now. :)

I'm in the slightly let down camp. I have liked each release equally if not more than the one before up until this point. This is definitely a tougher appreciation record and not quite as instantly memorable as we all belong and fate. i'll be seeing the boys for the first time in a good while here in louisville in a couple of weeks and i'll holdout full judgement of the new tracks until after i get the live treatment.

Last night's show at Chicago's Metro was definitely another excellent showing for a great band.

By memory we got to hear every song off Shame Shame, 8 of the 11 tracks off Fate, 2 more off We All Belong, and of course "Fuck It" to close the show as has become par for the course for them.

I still like "Worst Trip" for a show opener the best but they closed the main set with it last night and opened with "Stranger" instead.

"Jackie Wants A Black Eye" is one of my early favs from the album and it was really neat live. If you haven't seen this guys, hop to it. They're a great live band and, while you lose a little bit of the intricacies from the albums, they make it up in pure energy.

^^^ Wasn't at the show, but here is the setlist! Yeah, and "Jackie Wants a Black Eye" is also one of my favorites off "Shame, Shame!" I hope I get to see them live this leg of the tour... or next.

Stranger

I Only Wear Blue

Old Days

Army of Ancients

The Breeze

Mirror, Mirror

The Ark

The Way the Lazy Do

The Ark

Station

Rabbit, Bat, Reindeer

Someday