• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

01fa43bd7f3b.jpg

Hank Mobley - Soul Station (1960)

41Nn7W3frxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Going to see these guys tomorrow night. Anybody seen them? Not sure what to expect. Love the album but hard to picture it in a live setting.

it's bigger, much more open...most of the songs clock in around over 6 minutes, and they do some instrumental stuff during the songs that isn't on the album. it's not near as depressing, either. many of the songs just sound totally different structurally.

it's bigger, much more open...most of the songs clock in around over 6 minutes, and they do some instrumental stuff during the songs that isn't on the album. it's not near as depressing, either. many of the songs just sound totally different structurally.

yeah... i dunno when you saw them last, but as of last week they're a full on hard rockin' 3-piece now, it's quite a change from the record. it's good mind you, but it's very different.

yeah... i dunno when you saw them last, but as of last week they're a full on hard rockin' 3-piece now, it's quite a change from the record. it's good mind you, but it's very different.

i haven't seen them yet. just heard the live show from 12-15-09 and was impressed with how they changed the songs to make them a little...i guess the word is bigger...than they are on the record.

i still don't think, even with the changes, that i could tour that record (assuming i had written it) and not want to kill myself.

51G1yW0jysL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51mDxYwnaUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51astj2rrhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Kinks - BBC Sessions 1964 - 1977

The Magnetic Fields - Realism

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

the music. it's just that modern take on late 60s soul music which sounds nothing like late 60s soul music.

I understand. I have this feeling about almost everything Danger Mouse touches.

I understand. I have this feeling about almost everything Danger Mouse touches.

fwiw, Danger Mouse only produced one track on the new Black Keys album, the single 'Tighten Up', which is one of the more straightforward tracks on the record surprisingly.

the music. it's just that modern take on late 60s soul music which sounds nothing like late 60s soul music.

Didn't they used to say something similar about The Stones? Except, rather than 60's soul music, it was 40's/50's delta blues.

I think the better way to describe the new Keys album is soul influenced, as opposed to a take on anything. This album has far more soul that anything they've done before, but is uniquely a Black Keys album. To each his/her own, but I think Brothers is brilliant.

Didn't they used to say something similar about The Stones? Except, rather than 60's soul music, it was 40's/50's delta blues.

I think the better way to describe the new Keys album is soul influenced, as opposed to a take on anything. This album has far more soul that anything they've done before, but is uniquely a Black Keys album. To each his/her own, but I think Brothers is brilliant.

The Rolling Stones didn't take long to go beyond their influences, though. Also, they wrote incredibly good songs - even the ones that aped older styles (which is totally fine, by the way - when it's done well). The Black Keys write "ok" to "good" songs, they aren't gonna make you wet or anything, let's be honest.

If I had to describe the album, i'd not mention soul in any way at all, as I wouldn't call any of it soul or soul influenced. The songs are essentially the same as all their other albums, but the production has changed to sound like whatever that Amy Winehouse/Danger Mouse/Mark Ronson so called 60s pop/soul sound is called. Has it got a name yet?

Basically, I can't imagine Dave Godin looking at this music and seeing any kind of link with soul music.

I'm not trying to slag it off too much here, cos I think it's ok. I'd listen to it, and have listened to it. But, I only hear Amy Winehouse etc in it, certainly not James Carr or anything.

Actually, those of you who think it sounds like soul: who or what soul music are you actually talking about?

j09059p05wd.jpge249263bxam.jpgf59553mqvyf.jpg

f77942y2bpx.jpg61G67Pue11L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Roky Erickson - Don't Slander Me

Caviar - Caviar

The Feelies - The Feelies

The Plimsouls - Everywhere At Once/The Plimsouls

Shonen Knife - Shonen Knife